Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teen Suicide Rates
(02-22-2018, 06:20 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I recently began taking cymbalta for frequent migraines. In addition to being an antidepressant, it prevents migraines as well.

The side effects were ridiculous at first and the persisting one is an inability to focus at work or grad school. A coworker is also taking it for nerve damage and the two of us were discussing the different side effects we have been dealing with. My doctor and I decided that we'd begin easing me off of it and I'll just deal with migraines. 

I can understand why kids, and adults, who need to be taking medication stop or seek to self medicate because the symptoms are just insane sometimes... but despite that, many people have told me that for them they know it's better than feeling the way they do off the medicine. 

There's no reason to shame anyone from taking medication that works for them. Like you said, therapy alone works for some, but it's not a one size fits all solution. Some people need medication.

I know tons of people that avoid medication because of how it makes them feel. I get it. For me, it helps me actually focus more because I'm not constantly obsessing over things that will cause me anxiety. But each drug will affect each person differently.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Former Bengal All Pro DT Mike Reid claims he struggled with depression when he was playing, but back then (mid 70's) there was no way anyone in the NFL or any "tough guy" profession could admit to mental "weakness".

I went on anti-depressants about a year after my divorce. Doctor told me that he did not think I would need to be on them forever. I don't really know if they helped that much. I did not notice a big difference and quit taking them because they seemed to give me erectile dysfunction. But there was no doubt I was suffering from depression. It was like the frog in water that slowly gets heated up. At the time I did not think I was that depressed, but looking back on it now it was pretty clear that I was. i did not feel really sad or suicidal. I just did not give a shit about anything. My worked suffered. My bills went unpaid even though I had plenty of money. And my house and yard were a wreck. My lawnmower broke down twice that summer and after the second time I just said "**** it" and stopped mowing my lawn. The grass literally was almost waist high. I had a trampoline in the yard for my girls to play on, but it got to the point that when they came over they were afraid to walk through the tall grass to get to it.
“Everyone you meet always asks if you have a career, are married, or own a house as if life was some kind of grocery list. But no one ever asks you if you are happy" - Heath Ledger
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]