Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CNN producer to Student: Stick to the script
(02-23-2018, 12:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: Honest to jebus I don't watch any of them.  I haven't for years.

I see the stuff posted around the internet and here.

But my parents are addicted to MSNBC.  (Both in their 70's) and I see it when I'm there or when we are on vacation as they leave it on ALL DAY.

I don't know how they can stand it.

LOL Me either.  I know a few Fox and Rush disciples as well.....Holy Toledo...my head would explode!

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-23-2018, 10:53 AM)Dill Wrote: Unless the people at CNN survived a massacre too.

Then we are back to he said they said.  

You can be smartassed about it all day, it doesn't change the facts.  When two sides give completely different versions of events then simple logic tells you one side is not being truthful.  So either this kid and his dad are lying or CNN is lying.  Four or five years ago I would have trusted CNN, they just don't have much credibility anymore.
(02-23-2018, 12:36 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You can be smartassed about it all day, it doesn't change the facts.  When two sides give completely different versions of events then simple logic tells you one side is not being truthful.  So either this kid and his dad are lying or CNN is lying.  Four or five years ago I would have trusted CNN, they just don't have much credibility anymore.

Amen to that.....

"Better send those refunds..."

So would the entity responsible for organizing the meeting do any planning (scripting) or just let it be a free for all?
(02-23-2018, 11:14 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I have zero doubt that CNN producers probably cleaned up all of their questions to make them all flow together for the show.   They probably have some of the children better talking points to make sure the show was smooth.    

This is very possible that one of the producers just got over her skies a little and decided the Show flowed better with her question instead of the kids.   I am sure CNN has no interest in talking about Armed vets at schools.  The show had a clear agenda and that’s fine it’s their show.  Heck town hall’s are scripted.

But that's a huge overstep.

It's pretty much accepted they're going to tailor guests depending on what they want (message, confrontation, whatever). That's still a long way away from scripted events. 

I find this really hard to believe, especially considering the kid's dad initially canceled, not the son. 
Out of curiosity, what's the main argument for CNN not being credible?

I can criticize their approach of having panels consist of partisan shills defending Trump and Democrats and the entertainment news approach to promoting headlines, but is there really anything "fake" about their news or is it just that it's center-left oriented that upsets people?

I trust Jake Tapper more than any journalist, the fact that he's on CNN doesn't change that for me. I've been a huge fan since his ABC days.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-23-2018, 01:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Out of curiosity, what's the main argument for CNN not being credible?

I can criticize their approach of having panels consist of partisan shills defending Trump and Democrats and the entertainment news approach to promoting headlines, but is there really anything "fake" about their news or is it just that it's center-left oriented that upsets people?

I trust Jake Tapper more than any journalist, the fact that he's on CNN doesn't change that for me. I've been a huge fan since his ABC days.

Used to, people said Fox News was partisan, ergo Fox News was less than credible. And Fox News enthusiasts said "We don't care! It might be true!" And that was all Fox News needed. From there forward, it was "Is Obama a terrorist? I don't know. Does Pelosi sacrifice babies? I don't know, maybe. Will Hillary come and take all your guns and turn your wife into a femi-Nazi? I don't know, these are just questions."

The expectation is that now that CNN is becoming more partisan, it's going to become as big of a partisan who-cares-about-facts shit show.
Amazing part of th9s story is that no one has ever produced the "before" and "after" versions of the question the biy said that CNN re-wrote.

People are blowing steam about this without knowing the single most important information.

It is entirely possible that CNN edited the question without changing the meaning at all. So why are we even having this discussion if we don't know what the changes were?
(02-23-2018, 12:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: But my parents are addicted to MSNBC.  (Both in their 70's) and I see it when I'm there or when we are on vacation as they leave it on ALL DAY.

Your parents sound like fine people. Looks like you were raised well.
(02-23-2018, 09:49 AM)GMDino Wrote: They said on the radio this morning that he submitted an essay and questions and he got "different questions" back.
Did he ask those different questions? Were they completely different or were they simply re-worded?
Why didn't they change everyone's script, if they did one? Why did only one student accuse them if they did the rest?
Lot's of questions.  CNN looks much worse if they would not allow the student to ask the questions they wanted.  If it's just rewording then the story looks like its blown completely out of proportion.  Probably by a group that wants to push that all the students are actors anyway.

Excellent questions.  As are the following--

(02-23-2018, 02:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Amazing part of th9s story is that no one has ever produced the "before" and "after" versions of the question the biy said that CNN re-wrote.
People are blowing steam about this without knowing the single most important information.
It is entirely possible that CNN edited the question without changing the meaning at all.  So why are we even having this discussion if we don't know what the changes were?

That's my question too. Carlson asked it in his interview, but never quite got to the answer.  Also, the kid's "essay" should be floating around somewhere. Let's see that.  There is no written record of changes or requested changes?

(02-23-2018, 10:25 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest the most simple explanation is likely the correct one: He's not being honest

I find it unlikely that if CNN scripted an event with dozens of people that only one person invited was conservative and has been willing to speak out against it. Also, once you have the mic, what's stopping you from asking your question?

And curious that this defender of the Second Amendment decided not to fight for his First Amendment rights. Went to Fox instead. The one network seemingly able to rise above Fake News nowadays when it comes to 2nd Amendment issues.

(02-23-2018, 12:54 PM)Benton Wrote: I find this really hard to believe, especially considering the kid's dad initially canceled, not the son. 

More than meets the eye here, certainly. That's why this isn't simply about accepting, right away, the credibility of EITHER one kid OR a news organization.

(02-23-2018, 12:36 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You can be smartassed about it all day, it doesn't change the facts.  When two sides give completely different versions of events then simple logic tells you one side is not being truthful.  So either this kid and his dad are lying or CNN is lying.  Four or five years ago I would have trusted CNN, they just don't have much credibility anymore.

LOL That's oversimplified logic. The relation between these "versions" may be more contrary than contradictory, in which case expect at least three alternatives when "two sides give completely different versions of events." 
(02-23-2018, 03:47 PM)Dill Wrote: Your parents sound like fine people.  Looks like you were raised well.

LMAO!

They ARE good people...but while I don't remember talking about politics with them much as I grew up it is a LARGE part of what they want to talk about now!  And sometimes it drives me crazy!   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
CNN has fallen far in recent years imo, and is anything but a neutral news media outlet anymore. They have basically become the FOX of the left with many of their news pundits (regardless of the decent chart that Belsnickle posted).

That said, who knows what to believe on this story.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(02-23-2018, 01:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Out of curiosity, what's the main argument for CNN not being credible?

(02-23-2018, 01:26 PM)Benton Wrote: Used to, people said Fox News was partisan, ergo Fox News was less than credible. And Fox News enthusiasts said "We don't care! It might be true!" And that was all Fox News needed. From there forward, it was "Is Obama a terrorist? I don't know. Does Pelosi sacrifice babies? I don't know, maybe. Will Hillary come and take all your guns and turn your wife into a femi-Nazi? I don't know, these are just questions."

The expectation is that now that CNN is becoming more partisan, it's going to become as big of a partisan who-cares-about-facts shit show.

And started doing shit like this...

(The staged protests of Muslims protesting terrorism after an attack.)

Or when Brazile got let go by CNN for getting caught giving questions to Hillary. Etc... the journalism and ethical standards have really fallen down across the board. Playing down to Fox "News" level is not a good thing.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(02-23-2018, 09:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And started doing shit like this...

(The staged protests of Muslims protesting terrorism after an attack.)

Or when Brazile got let go by CNN for getting caught giving questions to Hillary. Etc... the journalism and ethical standards have really fallen down across the board. Playing down to Fox "News" level is not a good thing.

I like Tapper as well. It’s a shame he is on cnn.
(02-23-2018, 09:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Or when Brazile got let go by CNN for getting caught giving questions to Hillary. Etc... the journalism and ethical standards have really fallen down across the board. Playing down to Fox "News" level is not a good thing.

Two quick points, Leonard.

1.  The claim that CNN staged a Muslim protest is "false" news, a deliberate distortion, long ago exposed.
https://www.snopes.com/cnn-muslim-protests-london/  

2. Firing Brazile is a sign that ethical/journalistic standards are being upheld.

I am happy to have CNN in my mix of news sources, though I don't watch much for news, but more for the panel disucssions/dabates which often include Trump spokespersons.  
(02-26-2018, 03:37 PM)Dill Wrote: Two quick points, Leonard.

1.  The claim that CNN staged a Muslim protest is "false" news, a deliberate distortion, long ago exposed.
https://www.snopes.com/cnn-muslim-protests-london/  

2. Firing Brazile is a sign that ethical/journalistic standards are being upheld.

I am happy to have CNN in my mix of news sources, though I don't watch much for news, but more for the panel disucssions/dabates which often include Trump spokespersons.  

The only reason to check into CNN is for leftist confirmation bias. The trump people there are weak.

I do feel bad for Jake Tapper. I believe he is an honest journalist. He shouldn’t be stuck on that channel.
(02-26-2018, 03:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The only reason to check into CNN is for leftist confirmation bias.   The trump people there are weak.  

I do feel bad for Jake Tapper.   I believe he is an honest journalist.   He shouldn’t be stuck on that channel.

shepherd smith is the one thats stuck. Poor guy is stuck on Fox, but at least he shows that you can work for Fox AND have a spine

CNN has the receipts concerning this

https://www.snopes.com/did-cnn-give-shooting-survivor-questions/
People suck
(02-26-2018, 03:56 PM)Griever Wrote: shepherd smith is the one thats stuck. Poor guy is stuck on Fox, but at least he shows that you can work for Fox AND have a spine

CNN has the receipts concerning this

https://www.snopes.com/did-cnn-give-shooting-survivor-questions/

Oh Shep Smith is awful. He is supposed to be hard news. Too much commentary.

That 24/7 news channels ends up either grossly exaggerating things or making them up altogether to keep ratings up.
(02-26-2018, 04:30 PM)treee Wrote: That 24/7 news channels ends up either grossly exaggerating things or making them up altogether to keep ratings up.

That's what people want.  So many people want that non-stop dose of "people who think like you are awesome, and people who don't think like you are stupid/dangerous/gonna getcha."  I'd wager these sorts of "news" outlets are the closest thing the free-market has come to selling canned arrogance to the masses.