Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
CONTRACT FINALIZED!!!
(09-08-2023, 05:25 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: And even that comparison fails to account for the fact Mahomes will still average approximately $39M/year for the final two seasons of his extension while Burrow gets to sign a new contract in which he’ll probably average $65M/year or more.

I have a hard time believing Mahomes doesn’t get a new contract at some point. Or maybe he makes so much with the endorsements he doesn’t care?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 11:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Mike Brown has never had a problem paying his QB and #1 WR.

Sounds about right of a deal for Burrow, if an extra $1-2m/yr more than I was expecting. Didn't think we'd see another 10 year deal, and didn't think he'd be taking some huge magical discount. Glad they got it done before the season started, well done to the FO handling what needed to be handled. Next offseason it's going to be Chase getting 5yr/$160m or so.

Unless Chase puts up Jefferson numbers, he's not getting that much. 1500 yards minimum.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 12:03 AM)Joelist Wrote: Yes, both were "gimmick" QBs. 

Klingler did have a cannon for an arm.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 09:10 PM)gman657 Wrote: Anyone who is pissed with the contract is ********. Tee may have to walk but joe has won without tee and he won when chase was injured last year. He's him.

Seems apt to post one of best hype video I've seen right about now
https://youtu.be/I_nwNJkKoVM?si=xLaR9hajydQTjzMm

Very true but the way KC's Spags shut us down last year in the AFCCG was by double-teaming Chase and Tee and then making us try and use Irwin to beat them.  When Boyd goes down it's a big drop off to Irwin.  Tee also made the big catch on 4th down in the first game against KC to seal the deal.  I like Irwin and cheer for him b/c he's a hard worker so no disrespect,  but he's not on the same level as the aforementioned receivers.
Reply/Quote
This was all foretold.

The truth is that we should be grateful to even be in a situation where the organization has to make a our qb the highest paid player in league history.

Having a player like this may not guarantee us a title, but it makes one a hell of a lot more likely. Yeah, you can win without an elite qb, but doing so is an outlier. Teams wander in darkness for decades without finding a guy that's a no-doubt elite qb.

Having this kind of player is a good thing. We had an affordable franchise qb when Dalton was here. He was a good soldier, but he was also undoubtedly limited. He provided solid to good production at a reasonable price. He was a Camry. We no longer drive a Camry. We drive a Ferrari, and a Ferrari is not cheap.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 09:37 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Top half of the league with zero playoff wins? Nope. Just average.

Top half of the league is, by definition, above average but okay. And if we're talking specifically since Palmer than its even better. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 07:43 PM)jason Wrote: Mahomes walked right into it.

And regrets it already if reports of them ripping it up and negotiating a new one are true. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 07:43 PM)jason Wrote: Mahomes walked right into it.

When Mahomes signed he was the highest paid QB in the league for 2 straight years. When he signed he was making 28.6% more than the 2nd highest paid QB in the NFL, that is an enormous gap. He got PAID. He just miscalculated that teams would start paying mediocre QBs like Daniel Jones $40m/yr, driving up salaries so quickly.

There's already talk about Mahomes getting a pay raise and he is only heading into the 2nd year of his 10 year deal.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 03:43 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: For giggles, it is $39.9MM. 

So, let's round up Mahomes 12-years to 40 million (unlike onceupon** who rounds 39,9 to 39). That contract was signed in 2020, in July, during the heart of the pandemic and for a 12-year total of over a half-billion dollars, and Mahomes is widely considered today to be grossly underpaid and to have a very team-friendly contract. Burrow's contract is $5 million more per year (over the 7 years Burrow is inked, or 45 million per year), when the NFL has recovered from the pandemic and is flush with new revenue streams, and has less guaranteed money than Deshaun Watson, yet Bengals fans are gripping that he gouged the Bengals? 

This is a good deal for the Bengals and Bengals fans and a great day to be a Bengals fan. Do these fans remember what it was like for the decades before Burrow?
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 10:39 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I believe that cash in the 5th year is all the cash from the signing bonus (or at least a big chunk). For cap purposes, it gets distributed evenly, but in reality, I believe the player gets it all up front. Again, I am not a cap expert, but I think that is how it works.  Thus, the divergence for what the player gets and what the cap hit is. 

The 5th year option is a big raise + a signing bonus cash makes it appear like the player's new deal has "voided" the 5th year option because the cash is on par with the beginning of the new deal.

IDK, if a real cap wiz can come on and correct that. A better bet is to just look at OTC and the cap number & forget the cash column altogether. It gives a better, clearer view of the contract.

https://overthecap.com/player/justin-herbert/8746

That is not how the 5th year works.  The original signing bonus is paid in full at signing, but can only be prorated for the number of years of the contract at that time, thus 4 years without an added void year (5 years is the max).  Prior to this extension Burrow's prorated bonus cap hit was $0 for 2024.  His cap hit was simply the 5th year salary calculation for his positon.

The 5th year salary number is based upon a calculation of:
- The average of the 3rd to the 20th salaries at the positon over the past 5 seasons.
- There is a snap count requirement the initial 3 years of the first contract that Joe obviously meets.
- Add-on money for 1 Pro Bowl
- Add on money for multiple Pro Bowls

This extension will in fact alter this season and the 5th year option cash and cap numbers.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 12:13 AM)casear2727 Wrote: That is not how the 5th year works.  The original signing bonus is paid in full at signing, but can only be prorated for the number of years of the contract at that time, thus 4 years without an added void year (5 years is the max).  Prior to this extension Burrow's prorated bonus cap hit was $0 for 2024.  His cap hit was simply the 5th year salary calculation for his positon.

- The average of the 3rd to the 20th salaries at the positon over the past 5 seasons.
- There is a snap count requirement the initial 3 years of the first contract that Joe obviously meets.

This extension will in fact alter this season and the 5th year option cash and cap numbers.

Does that mean that it spreads out the cap hit a little better so we can sign other players more easily?
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 06:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: It is kinda surprising the backlash this deal caused amongst Bengals fans on social media. Burrow was never taking a team friendly deal to keep the weapons together.

Everyone points to Brady but they don’t tell the whole story. Brady took less pay and the PATS still let players go and didn’t keep his wideouts or those defensive stars of the 00’s. The untold truth is Brady was bamboozled and no one else will ever fall for that trap again.
Well they won in 15 and 17, sure they lost Welker but he was 31 and they were smart not to sign him in a big contract since production went down next 3 yrs and was out of football. They did sign Amedola and Edleman around that time to replace Welker. I know they signed Wilfolk and  McCourty to a nice deals in  2014 and 2015 range.   I don't think we can say NE was not helped by Brady contract when they they were active in signing FAs and retaining key players and  winning  2 SBs , would need more evidence to prove that NE just stayed pat.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 09:53 PM)WhoDeyK Wrote: So glad the deal is finally done! Happy to have Burrow at the helm for 7 more years! Now let’s go win a Super Bowl while we still have Tee

I think any of these big QB signings of late can only be a justified success by winning a least one  SB since the contracts to limit future moves by the proportion of the salary being given to these QBs.  
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 08:19 AM)Nepa Wrote: Yes, everywhere I'm seeing that Burrow has the 5-year extension tacked onto the back end of the 4th and 5th years of the rookie deal, and thus signed for 7 years, through the 2029 season, with the average of $45 million per year during those 7 years. 

Some posters are getting hung up on the $55 million per year of the extension, but if they look at the overall agreement with Burrow, the average for the 7 years is right around where Mahomes average is ($45 million). And posters keep noting the Mahomes has a deal that is very team friendly. 
Mahomes  avg is lower also since his 10 actually is 12 years adding in His rookie contract so his average is lower also. The Key to Mahomes deal is they don't have to worry about a massive 3rd contract. Think about it if he signed what Joe signed he would be up for a new contract in 2027 at just 31 and think about what that number will be after what he has produced. Burrow 2nd contract will be up before Mahomes so think of the deal KC will have then as we try to resign Burrow .
Also the guaranteed percentage of Mahomes is less.
I am not saying he should not have signed Burrow but Mahomes is a better team contract in big picture.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 12:13 AM)casear2727 Wrote: That is not how the 5th year works.  The original signing bonus is paid in full at signing, but can only be prorated for the number of years of the contract at that time, thus 4 years without an added void year (5 years is the max).  Prior to this extension Burrow's prorated bonus cap hit was $0 for 2024.  His cap hit was simply the 5th year salary calculation for his positon.

Thanks for this and that makes sense, but I was talking about the SB in the extension. Not the rookie deal. Yeah, the 5th year option cannot be assumed, so a 4 year proration makes sense.

Like you said, Joe would get paid in full at signing. IE, just now..For cap purposes, does that get prorated out only on the 5 years of the extension, or also the existing years (4th or 5th year option on rookie deal)? It sounds like it will from your response. 

I mean, if it didn't, then we would not need all this cap room this year allotted to get the extensions done, right?  

Do I have this right? Or at least close? 
Reply/Quote
For the record, giving the AAV of the new money is what they do for comparison sake. The average is obviously for the entirety of the contract but different guys have different numbers pre-extension so the AAV of the new money is used to compare what guys are getting in new money.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Joe is signing the contract this morning and is doing a press conference at about 11AM

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 11:56 AM)pally Wrote: Joe is signing the contract this morning and is doing a press conference at about 11AM

For $219 million guaranteed I would have been signing that contract as it was still coming out of the printer.  Big Grin

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
it's official

Reply/Quote
statement by Mike Brown

Quote:My father always said that in the NFL, the quarterback is like the key to your car," said Bengals President Mike Brown in a statement. "You can have a great car, but you need a key to get the car going and to operate it at a high level. We feel that we have a good one in Joe.

"Our franchise has been fortunate to have many good quarterbacks over the years, starting with Greg Cook and now running through Joe. Half a dozen Pro Bowl quarterbacks have graced our corridors, and Joe is an intelligent player who loves the game of football. The franchise is pleased to be in good hands."

Reply/Quote