Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID vaccine-NFL
Maybe a dumb question, but hopefully not...

What religion's teachings can prevent it's members from getting vaccinated?

Also, if you're going to put that exemption in there then why even make the rule in the first place? Anyone who is opposed to the vaccine can claim to be whatever religion is needed to be exempt.

It should be a real simple rule: Either everyone in an NFL facility is required to be vaccinated, or no one is required to be vaccinated (it's their choice).

Just because Sheila in the marketing dept is a Scientologist that should make her no more exempt than Bob in front office who thinks the vaccine will turn into a gay 5g hotspot. Either both should be entitled to follow their beliefs/opinions or neither should be.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 07:33 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Maybe a dumb question, but hopefully not...

What religion's teachings can prevent it's members from getting vaccinated?

Also, if you're going to put that exemption in there then why even make the rule in the first place?  Anyone who is opposed to the vaccine can claim to be whatever religion is needed to be exempt.

It should be a real simple rule:  Either everyone in an NFL facility is required to be vaccinated, or no one is required to be vaccinated (it's their choice).

Just because Sheila in the marketing dept is a Scientologist that should make her no more exempt than Bob in front office who thinks the vaccine will turn into a gay 5g hotspot.  Either both should be entitled to follow their beliefs/opinions or neither should be.

From what I've read over the years there are people from all of them -Christians, Muslims, Catholic, Buddist and Jewish folks who are against vaccines, but not all of people in any of those religions agree 100%, and ingredients can also play a role in it. A lot of it is how deep and traditional their beliefs are. Some of them, in particular Muslims from Africa, associate vaccinations with colonization for instance. There have been vaccines go very wrong in parts of Africa, and India as well, causing infertility and even death over the years. My friend Serge is from Africa and he will not take the vaccine ever. He's the biggest anti-vaxer I know and would let them shoot him first. I know for sure that at least one Muslim leader in Australia calls vaccines forbidden and made a stink about it earlier this year as well, but he's just one man. They dont all agree, of course. 

Religion aside, forcing anyone to do anything is a tricky subject no matter what it is because it requires force. Some folks just dont dig force, and a lot of religious folk dont view government or their bosses as the leading authority in life. 
Reply/Quote
It's really not a force. It is a choice to do it or work elsewhere. If they start doing jail time, that's forced. Think a Jewish man can get away with not wearing a hard hat because it'll cover his yarmulke? Hindu refuse to make burgers at McDonald's?

Long held is that if reasonable accommodations can be made, then workplaces should do it. Reasonable tends to be the area that trips some up.

Dealing with a similar situation just this past week, and kind of went to my old stand by: You are free to make your own choices for yourself, just don't insist that others have to bear the burdens of your choices.

Anyone working for a decent sized company or government/military related has several rules and expectations that don't exist in other industries and jobs.
Reply/Quote
What if I simply don't want to get a blood clot and die, or warry of a rushed vaccine in general?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 11:33 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: What if I simply don't want to get a blood clot and die, or warry of a rushed vaccine in general?

In this case, if you don’t want the vaccine then don’t get the vaccine. In which case you wouldn’t be allowed to work in an area with a Tier 1 or Tier 2 status.

This isn’t like the military where it’s their way or the highway with some UCMJ as a parting gift.
Reply/Quote
I guess half of the league's employees will be dead within 5 years then
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 06:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It was announced today that the Bills will allow full-capacity in their stadium this year, but you must show proof of vaccination to attend.
So if you're not vaccinated, you can't come into the stadium to watch a game.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/13/highmark-stadium-allow-full-attendance-vaccinated-buffalo-bills-fans/

Bills almost assuredly won't be the only team to do this.

I can see it now.

A normal sunday of football at outdoor stadiums of “vaccinated” fans, still wearing masks. Unless eating or drinking of course.

I’ll stay home, as will most. Its hard enough to fill a football stadium with the product so good at home, so let’s make it more difficult.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 06:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It was announced today that the Bills will allow full-capacity in their stadium this year, but you must show proof of vaccination to attend.
So if you're not vaccinated, you can't come into the stadium to watch a game.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/13/highmark-stadium-allow-full-attendance-vaccinated-buffalo-bills-fans/

Bills almost assuredly won't be the only team to do this.

So I assume then there would be no mask mandate either within the stadium?  If everyone is vaccinated what's the point.

That's kind of my position.  When everyone has had an opportunity to get the vaccine and its had time to protect them, their estimating somewhere around the first of July, I'm done with the mask.  I will no longer protect those that chose not to protect themselves. Plus, I've been vaccinated so I shouldn't be spreading Covid anyway.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 11:33 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: What if I simply don't want to get a blood clot and die, or warry of a rushed vaccine in general?

Then you probably shouldn't ever drive (more likely to cause death than you even developing a blood clot).

If 10 years of development and research into the bones of the vaccine is rushed, I'd hate to see what your timeline of enough time taken is.

At the end of the day, it is your choice. But choices have consequences.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 04:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm much conflicted on this issue. Someone telling me I have to have a vaccine to work goes all over me. That said, I don't have a problem with schools telling parents their children have to be vaccinated to attend, so I guess I'm a hypocrite on it. I can see them telling an employee they can't be around the players without it, as if not vaccinated they can easily spread it and cause cancellations. But, it's still problematic. Hard issue....

The NFL was able to pull of 1 full season with relatively few issues and made bank, less than before, but bank nonetheless. I suspect this mandate by the NFL is to prevent lawsuits of any kind from the players & union.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 09:44 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: The NFL was able to pull of 1 full season with relatively few issues and made bank, less than before, but bank nonetheless. I suspect this mandate by the NFL is to prevent lawsuits of any kind from the players & union.

The NFL also had very limited people in attendance for games, and the vaccine wasn't available for most people last year.
They want to allow more people back to games because it means increased revenue, but they also want to limit risk of COVID spreading.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Statistically speaking, you shouldn't want to go to an NFL game then because things at an NFL game and the car ride to the game are way more likely to kill you than a blood clot from a covid vaccination.  You don't have to get the thing, but the blood clot fear is pretty astronomical if that makes you feel better.

(04-14-2021, 09:44 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: The NFL was able to pull of 1 full season with relatively few issues and made bank, less than before, but bank nonetheless. I suspect this mandate by the NFL is to prevent lawsuits of any kind from the players & union.

Yep, everything comes down to money.  Even the most staunch ani-vaxxer probably couldn't resist the temptation of shaking down a gazillion dollar company like the NFL if they "gave him covid."
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 10:38 PM)Destro Wrote: It's really not a force. It is a choice to do it or work elsewhere. If they start doing jail time, that's forced. Think a Jewish man can get away with not wearing a hard hat because it'll cover his yarmulke? Hindu refuse to make burgers at McDonald's?

Long held is that if reasonable accommodations can be made, then workplaces should do it. Reasonable tends to be the area that trips some up.

Dealing with a similar situation just this past week, and kind of went to my old stand by: You are free to make your own choices for yourself, just don't insist that others have to bear the burdens of your choices.

Anyone working for a decent sized company or government/military related has several rules and expectations that don't exist in other industries and jobs.

"Dealing with a similar situation just this past week, and kind of went to my old stand by: You are free to make your own choices for yourself, just don't insist that others have to bear the burdens of your choices."

Wow that seems hypocritical.  If you want the vaccine take it for yourself. If people fear an illness for a 99.997% survival rate they can get a experimental vaccine and should.  Healthy people should not be forced to take an emergency experimental vaccine.  Kids should not be forced to.  YOU are free to make your own choices for yourself, just don't insist that others have to bear the burdens of your choices...

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 10:23 AM)rupe Wrote: "Dealing with a similar situation just this past week, and kind of went to my old stand by: You are free to make your own choices for yourself, just don't insist that others have to bear the burdens of your choices."

Wow that seems hypocritical.  If you want the vaccine take it for yourself. If people fear an illness for a 99.997% survival rate they can get a experimental vaccine and should.  Healthy people should not be forced to take an emergency experimental vaccine.  Kids should not be forced to.  YOU are free to make your own choices for yourself, just don't insist that others have to bear the burdens of your choices...

Nobody's forcing you, kids, or anybody else...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 10:23 AM)rupe Wrote: "Dealing with a similar situation just this past week, and kind of went to my old stand by: You are free to make your own choices for yourself, just don't insist that others have to bear the burdens of your choices."

Well we know what, "side," this person is on... thanks for turning the thread into something it wasn't supposed to be <_<
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Very good point here. Not too mention, if people get the vaccine, then they should not worry about who else has it because technically they are protected anyway, right? One of my sisters is freaking out about this whole thing. She wants to have a family get together at her brand new house but wants everyone to be vaccinated first. It's not sitting well with most the family, who many have already recovered from covid, including the elderly in the family.

You have to wonder if in the beginning of all this, if they didn't put infected people in nursing homes around a bunch of elderly with medical conditions, how much lower the 70 and over group would be. 

CDC survival rates per age group:
0-19: 99.997%
20-49: 99.98%
50-69: 99.5%
70 & over: 94.6%
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 10:29 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Well we know what, "side," this person is on... thanks for turning the thread into something it wasn't supposed to be <_<

What "side" this person is on. Wondering what that means? 
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 10:29 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Well we know what, "side," this person is on... thanks for turning the thread into something it wasn't supposed to be <_<

I'm on the side of free choice.  It's an experimental vaccine and a rushed one.  If the vaccine is the answer then those who want it and take it are safe.  If Joe Burrow and Mixon refuse to take a vaccine are the Bengals going to fire them?  I think not.  The UC Dance team was almost forced to take the vaccine (curious if the UC Football and Basketball players were) for Nationals until the Johnson and Johnson debacle.  What will the liability be on the entities that are forcing an emergency authorized vaccine when an employee dies, or 2 years down the road suffers ramifications of the shot?  The companies that made them aren't liable, will that fall on the employers that mandate it? https://www.openvaers.com/covid-data?fbclid=IwAR0SeTd_6pn2UdgJe9WCFM-m2Nd2bHSbDs0J62vFhHIkIeHvrKiv5tcsZ80
Reply/Quote
2 things:

Interesting topic, let's try to keep it on vaccine and how it relates to NFL (Bengals)

There's a thread in klotsch for folks that want to talk vaccine in general. Let's generate an informative, non-combative discussion there:
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Covid-19-Discussion-Non-Political-Only?page=8
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
You're either scared of covid or scared of the vaccine.  Everyone is a coward except me.

But yes, on topic....I haven't been to an NFL game in years so ehh...doesn't concern me I guess.  The NFL is going the way of the CFL if people can't get in the doors, anyways. 
Reply/Quote