Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CTB
He's a Dawg!
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 02:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe it's a bit early to say what CTB is or isn't. He's a great athlete and strong tackler, to say the least. I've always heard CB is one of if not the hardest positions to transfer from college to pro and hit the ground running. He's done very well thus far in my opinion.

We'll have little better idea come the end of the season. For now Joe CTB

Yeah I don’t get people writing him off as CB already. He’s showing improvement in coverage already. He’s a rookie who was out for months injured and thrown into the fire when Awuzie got hurt. I think he’s been fine at CB so far and that’s impressive all things considered. He’s definitely had some learning moments out there but I have yet to feel like it’s because he’s bad or not suited for CB, just feels like a rookie learning to me.

He’s got the physicality, speed and brains to be a great CB. I think worst case scenario he ends up being a ferocious CB2 and he could be a stud CB1 in a year or 2. Most players do not step in as all stars day one, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I do not see him needing to move to S at all, but once he gets up there in age that may be an option to extend his career a few years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 02:44 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Yeah I don’t get people writing him off as CB already. He’s showing improvement in coverage already. He’s a rookie who was out for months injured and thrown into the fire when Awuzie got hurt. I think he’s been fine at CB so far and that’s impressive all things considered. He’s definitely had some learning moments out there but I have yet to feel like it’s because he’s bad or not suited for CB, just feels like a rookie learning to me.

He’s got the physicality, speed and brains to be a great CB. I think worst case scenario he ends up being a ferocious CB2 and he could be a stud CB1 in a year or 2. Most players do not step in as all stars day one, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I do not see him needing to move to S at all, but once he gets up there in age that may be an option to extend his career a few years.

For a rookie Corner that did not have a training camp, he's doing spectacular.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 12:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s had exactly 5 starts, and was thrown into action coming off an injury where he missed half of training camp. And he’s improving every week. A couple of the plays he’s been beat on (the Marshall TD, the Burks deep ball) he’s actually been in perfect position the WR’s just made great catches.

Look at the learning curve with some of the CB’s on our own team. Apple was considered a total bust in NY, and wasn’t much better with the Saints. He’s finally carved out a nice role for himself here though.

Awuzie was also fairly mediocre in Dallas, and he’s ended up becoming one of the best shutdown guys in the league in his 5th season.

I have faith that Lou will develop CTB into a good CB.

This is the biggest thing for me. Lou was a secondary coach before being named our DC and it shows in how well cornerbacks and safeties have flourished under him. Bates had his breakout season with Lou in 2020, Vonn Bell has more interceptions this season than he had in his career previously. Awuzie went from "good position, but never seemed to make the play" to shutdown corner, Mike Hilton has, impossibly, been even better than he was in Pittsburgh, especially against the run, Apple's career has been revitalized after bouncing around the NFL all season and even Tre Flowers, a guy that Seattle just outright waived last season, has come in and played pretty well, especially in his specialized role against tight ends. Jalen Davis played well in the game that Mike Hilton missed too!

It seems like every cornerback that Lou touches, he turns to gold. I have no doubt he'll do the same for CTB and, when he gets more playing time next season, Dax Hill too. 

I know it's mean, but I kind of hope next off season's head coaching search focuses heavily on young, offensive "geniuses" rather than hard nosed DCs, because I really want Lou around here for a long time.
Reply/Quote
CTB reminds me of CB Barber of Tampa Bay. great instincts , great tackler just has to polish his man to man skills. I wish Awuzie was healthy our secondary would look amazing.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 02:56 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This is the biggest thing for me. Lou was a secondary coach before being named our DC and it shows in how well cornerbacks and safeties have flourished under him. Bates had his breakout season with Lou in 2020, Vonn Bell has more interceptions this season than he had in his career previously. Awuzie went from "good position, but never seemed to make the play" to shutdown corner, Mike Hilton has, impossibly, been even better than he was in Pittsburgh, especially against the run, Apple's career has been revitalized after bouncing around the NFL all season and even Tre Flowers, a guy that Seattle just outright waived last season, has come in and played pretty well, especially in his specialized role against tight ends. Jalen Davis played well in the game that Mike Hilton missed too!

It seems like every cornerback that Lou touches, he turns to gold. I have no doubt he'll do the same for CTB and, when he gets more playing time next season, Dax Hill too. 

I know it's mean, but I kind of hope next off season's head coaching search focuses heavily on young, offensive "geniuses" rather than hard nosed DCs, because I really want Lou around here for a long time.

Yeah, I’m definitely a bit worried about losing Lou. Especially if we make another playoff run without our CB1. Like you said though, the one thing probably working in our favor is he’s a bit on the older side to get a shot as a first time HC. Although I believe he’s the exact same age Zimmer was when he got Minnesota…

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 03:26 PM)RancidJedi Wrote: CTB reminds me of CB Barber of Tampa Bay. great instincts , great tackler just has to polish his man to man skills. I wish Awuzie was healthy our secondary would look amazing.

He’s definitely in that mold: physical, active, great tackler, not the most polished cover man. Another one in that mold and who is almost the exact same size is Terrence Newman, one of my favorite players ever. Their combine measurements are exactly the same. Newman was a better jumper and better in coverage but CTB can get there. Lots of potential
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 02:56 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This is the biggest thing for me. Lou was a secondary coach before being named our DC and it shows in how well cornerbacks and safeties have flourished under him. Bates had his breakout season with Lou in 2020, Vonn Bell has more interceptions this season than he had in his career previously. Awuzie went from "good position, but never seemed to make the play" to shutdown corner, Mike Hilton has, impossibly, been even better than he was in Pittsburgh, especially against the run, Apple's career has been revitalized after bouncing around the NFL all season and even Tre Flowers, a guy that Seattle just outright waived last season, has come in and played pretty well, especially in his specialized role against tight ends. Jalen Davis played well in the game that Mike Hilton missed too!

I think back to early last year when so many posters wanted Zac and Lou gone. Lou was being mentioned as the guy that the Zac and the Bengals hired because Zac came on too late to get anyone good. I guess they both just needed time to mold the team.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 03:39 PM)CottonHill Wrote: He’s definitely in that mold: physical, active, great tackler, not the most polished cover man. Another one in that mold and who is almost the exact same size is Terrence Newman, one of my favorite players ever. Their combine measurements are exactly the same. Newman was a better jumper and better in coverage but CTB can get there. Lots of potential

Kid does have some hops though.

[Image: Screenshot-9-e1627496456798-1280x720.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 01:01 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This guy is a player.

No his coverage skills aren't super polished and there are communication lapses...but I can't help but be impressed with his physicality and his overall competitiveness.

The more reps he gets the more confidence he will get and the better he will be.

Super excited what I'm seeing from this dude.

Not trying to hijack a well-deserved thread praising CTB, but anyone else think that maybe our first round pick might be able to make this kind of impact as well?  Right now, Bates is the invisible man.  
Reply/Quote

My buddy went up for the game and got his jersey afterwards. Pretty sick.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 01:01 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This guy is a player.

No his coverage skills aren't super polished and there are communication lapses...but I can't help but be impressed with his physicality and his overall competitiveness.

The more reps he gets the more confidence he will get and the better he will be.

Super excited what I'm seeing from this dude.

Truth. Love what I saw from Cameron Taylor Britt against the Titans. He really grew in this game and was much better in 
coverage than the week before and he just keeps improving in this aspect. We needed him to grow into a good player fast
with Awuzie out for the year. Love how CTB tackles, extremely physical for a Corner. You don't see many Corners tackle like
that, same with what we saw from Hilton yesterday on King Henry getting those TFL.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 02:23 PM)QueenCity Wrote: He's a Dawg!

For sure
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 05:26 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not trying to hijack a well-deserved thread praising CTB, but anyone else think that maybe our first round pick might be able to make this kind of impact as well?  Right now, Bates is the invisible man.  

Bates isn’t invisible. I saw him very clearly watch a fumble in the end zone go by him and be recovered by the offense for a TD LOL
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 01:04 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: I feel he can make a better slot corner, but cincy already has hilton

but yea, all heart and hustle. Tackling machine. Good attitude

I was just about to say this. His ability to tackle and willingness to jump in traffic and at least TRY to tackle is great.

His coverage is obviously his weaker ability but from my eye test he doesn’t seem bad at coverage. He seems to stick on guys pretty well.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
this kid plays with so much heart an energy its impossible not to root for him
Reply/Quote
Everytime CTB hits the ball carrier, he pushes them back and with force. Clean and on-target hard-hitting, I'm looking forward to seeing him getting more playing time.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 06:36 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Bates isn’t invisible. I saw him very clearly watch a fumble in the end zone go by him and be recovered by the offense for a TD LOL

I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought he half-assed (actually, flat out neglected) jumping on the ball!!

What a play by CTB!!
Reply/Quote
Thinking CTB can be a Pro Bowl-caliber FS is not "giving up on him".

He may very well become a great CB, but when I see that size and mentality, I think FS.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 05:26 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not trying to hijack a well-deserved thread praising CTB, but anyone else think that maybe our first round pick might be able to make this kind of impact as well?  Right now, Bates is the invisible man.  

Yep getting tired of watching Bates chase WR's into the end zone 7 yards behind them. 

Dude needs to step up and make some plays this week. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote