Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CTB
(12-05-2022, 02:18 AM)Whatever Wrote: KC recovered, iirc.  Didn't make a difference either way.  

If Mahomes had fumbled before the goal line, it would have been Bengals ball at the 1 yard line if recovered by KC in the end zone. If recovered by the Bengals, the ball would have went out to the 20 and been Bengals ball.

The NFL rule for 4th down fumbles is that the offense cannot advance the ball if it recovers it and if it is in the last two minutes of a half the person who fumbled the ball has to recover it. 

An odd rule is the ball is placed at the 1 yard line, not the 1 inch line, even if the ball was fumbled at the 1 inch line. That's in another part of the rule book. I'm not 100% sure of that rule, since I only read it once and it stood out to me, but I am sure what I put in the paragraph above.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:38 AM)Nepa Wrote: If Mahomes had fumbled before the goal line, it would have been Bengals ball at the 1 yard line if recovered by KC in the end zone. If recovered by the Bengals, the ball would have went out to the 20 and been Bengals ball.

The NFL rule for 4th down fumbles is that the offense cannot advance the ball if it recovers it and if it is in the last two minutes of a half the person who fumbled the ball has to recover it. 

I was wondering who was going to catch this important aspect of that play!
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 01:53 AM)Whatever Wrote: He had a chance to make a number of big plays, but didn't come up with any of them.  Could have had a pick.  Had a shot to make a tackle on both KC TD runs, as well as not being able to get JuJu down short of a key 1st down early.  

Not going to bag on the kid too hard, as he's a rookie and technically a backup, but he had a bad night tackling, which has been one of his strong suits to this point.

For what it's worth, when we signed Chidobe Awuzie, this is exactly what I heard Dallas fans say about him. Always in position to make a play, but never would. If I recall correctly, there were some kind of stats about average separation allowed and Awuzie was allowing very little separation, but his yards allowed were disproportionately high.

Now he's making the plays and is one of the best shut down corners in the NFL.

Sometimes, it takes a little time for a player to learn how to properly finish. But being there is half the battle.

EDIT:

Found an example of the talk surrounding Awuzie back in 2018.
Quote:Through the first 10 weeks of the year, though, only one of those two has maintained fans' excitement. While Byron Jones has been arguably the best cornerback in all of football, Chidobe Awuzie has been damn-near an automatic completion when thrown at.

Awuzie has a -5.8 coverage rating this season, 65th among cornerbacks in the NFL. Coverage rating is a metric which factors in how often a cornerback is targeted as well as how many passes they've defensed per target. Quarterbacks also have a 116.6 passer rating when targeting Awuzie, compared to just 64.5 when targeting Byron Jones. For comparisons sake, Jones' coverage rating is a +45! So you can see why “cornerback opposite of Jones” is becoming a need for the Cowboys.

What's perplexing about Awuzie's season, though, is that he is only giving up an average 0.95 yards of separation, 27th in the league (courtesy of playerprofiler.com). So while Awuzie is playing relatively sticky coverage, he's still being targeted often, and he's still allowing completions way too often.

https://insidethestar.com/do-or-die-chidobe-awuzie-must-improve-sunday-or-cowboys-season-could-end/
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 05:54 AM)higgy100 Wrote: Lol. That was a tremendous play by juju Smith and a great tackle by CTB. Do you understand how hard it is when an elite athlete like Smith catches a ball in stride and only has a yard or two to go and you got a safety that comes over and tackles them and almost forces him from getting that first down. It was a tremendous defensive play just to make it even that close.

Tremendous effort on the almost interception,too  but his own man hit him. My god do you watch any football? DB'S give up plays all game long as they're going against the greatest athletes on Earth let alone these guys on Kansas City that are almost impossible to cover with their speed and the looseness. 

Not to mention if you get physical or even lay a hand on any receivers anymore you get flagged for a pass interference or a hold.

Dude, CTB is a CB, not a S.  Don't throw around lines like "My god do you watch any football?" when you don't know what position the guy you're defending plays.

On the JuJu play, CTB loses outside leverage on a whip route in a coverage where the flat is his responsibility.  He recovers well, but he gets drug 3-1/2-4 yards, not 1-2, and JuJu is actually going east-west, not north-south when CTB makes contact.  

The dropped pick was certainly nowhere near as bad as the Boyd drop. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:45 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: For what it's worth, when we signed Chidobe Awuzie, this is exactly what I heard Dallas fans say about him. Always in position to make a play, but never would. If I recall correctly, there were some kind of stats about average separation allowed and Awuzie was allowing very little separation, but his yards allowed were disproportionately high.

Now he's making the plays and is one of the best shut down corners in the NFL.

Sometimes, it takes a little time for a player to learn how to properly finish. But being there is half the battle.

That's a fair take and like I said, he's a rookie and still technically a backup.  I think he definitely has the potential to be a quality starter.  He just had a bad game when it comes to his tackling.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
CTB is a high motor player,and a tackling machine.The play where he stripped the ball away from Henry in the Titans game,prior to stop him from going in for the TD is just another example of his aggressive play.
Reply/Quote
Is he the best day 1 rookie we’ve had under Zac after Jamarr, Burrow and Tee?
-Housh
Reply/Quote