Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Can The Bengals Keep This Team Together?
I think it's going to be tough, especially paying Burrow $50 million+/year.  I think that salary can work if the QB is making plays with his legs (Mahomes, Allen) where receivers can get open when the coverage breaks down.  In a more traditional style system like we have, the receivers have to get open themselves and I think that's where you end up having to spend a bunch of money to secure those types of guys.  

However, I don't see Allen or Mahomes running much after they turn 30.  The wheels are coming off for Russell Wilson in Denver now that he's getting older.
I'm hoping Burrow takes a manageable salary so the team has a chance.  Too much money on the QB results in the whole team suffering (Rams, Broncos, Packers, Browns) with a couple of exceptions (Bills, Chiefs).  It will be interesting what they pay Lamar this offseason.  I'd be very careful if I was the Ravens.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
There will certainly have to make some interesting and heartbreaking moves on the horizon.

That's why this 2 year window is so important. Not saying they won't be good after giving the team a facelift, but it will have to be with cheaper pieces and players on rookie deals. Which could mean a trade or two for draft picks could be the short term answer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 12:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He isn't going to take the Mahomes deal. That deal will be 3 years old next offseason and he has already slipped to the 5th highest paid QB. If you know that the cap is going to rise a ton over the next few years, be sure that the players and agents know that too.

Not to mention that would mean Burrow taking less per year than Watson in his own division, as well as less than Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson. (And Herbert when he gets paid next off-season too.)

Nobody is taking a 10 year deal right now because they want to be able to renegotiate an extension in a few years when there is more cap space pumping up contract numbers further. A lot of 4-5 year deals for highly paid QBs.

You ninja'd but it might be true that the Browns/Blackburns could have trouble throwing all the guaranteed money from a Burrow, Higgins, AND Chase deal into escrow. That has to be actual cash, not just worth-backed.

- - - - - - - 

There isn't really any savings from Bates walking. That money is already gone. Guys already under contract are getting larger cap hits. Hendrickson next year is $2m more, BJ Hill is $2.5m more, Hubbard is $3m more, Chase is $1.5m more, Cappa is $2m more, Jonah is $7m more, Collins is $3m more. Plus you need to re-sign Bell (he will likely be more expensive) and find a TE. Plus other guys with smaller increases in cap hits.

Bates is making almost 13 million this year. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I'd hate for Higgins to leave but could we get a top 10 pick for him? If so I'm okay with a trade.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 01:15 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I'd hate for Higgins to leave but could we get a top 10 pick for him? If so I'm okay with a trade.

Top 10 pick is highly unlikely. A first round pick all together is probably a stretch but maybe not a trade with around late first round value.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 01:36 PM)Synric Wrote: Top 10 pick is highly unlikely. A first round pick all together is probably a stretch but maybe not a trade with around late first round value.

I was a bit surprised the Titans got a 1st for AJ Brown, who wasn't really considered elite.  There can potentially be buyers that would offer a 1st for Higgins.

That said, there's always a case for holding onto him as long as the SB window is open.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2022, 09:08 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Who's leaving?
Its a business. So lets just enjoy this ride and stop asking about who stays and who goes. I just want to go to the game Sunday and cheer.

The one thing I know about any successful franchise is that you have to have one leader.

https://youtu.be/LilcHqymgBo

I personally believe they will prioritize Burrow and Chase, and they'll let some people walk and even might cut some people to make that happen.
I think Boyd and Higgins are likely gone after their contracts expire. Higgins MIGHT get tagged for one year to help bridge a gap.
I think Jonah Williams could be on his way out after his 5th year option unless he returns to his 2021 form.
I'd like to see Bell, Logan Wilson, and Awuzie re-signed when their contracts are up (Bell's is this offseason).
I'd be ok with Hurst and Pratt extended, but I'm also not going to be too bent out of shape if they aren't.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 12:15 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Pratt has played very well and I hope they keep him, but make not mistake Wilson is the quarterback of that defense.

Yup. Pratt is playing well but Wilson is the easy keeper. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2022, 09:22 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Money talks but they like Zac and the staff. They love their teammates. They are poised to win a lot of games. The culture is as good as any team. Ownership is great to them. I’d say they keep the receivers but the defense loses some folks.

I think we lose Tee on Offense, he is too good not to be paid like a #1 by somebody. We will lose Bates after this season.

We might also lose Boyd soon so we should Draft some WR's early real soon. I think we keep Hurst on Offense, Logan Wilson
and Vonn Bell get extensions on Defense. Once Mixon's contract is up we need to let him leave so we also need to draft a RB 
somewhat early like in the 2nd round same as we did Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 12:39 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I wouldn't be so certain about the "less than Watson per year" as a hangup.  It will be all about the guarantee, something the Bengals USUALLY avoid.  However, I could see about $300 million of Burrow's contract being guaranteed.  And that is worth a lot to a player compared to the ego of saying it is more per year than someone else.  Watson's deal was so incredibly stupid that I can't see it factoring in.  Browns were desperate and have probably screwed their franchise for at least 5 years.  I think Watson will suck ass when he returns.  

Also, the Bates money does matter because they will not be paying $13 million next year to a guy that they did this year.  Sure, it will be eaten up by other contracts, but letting Bates walk and replacing him with a late first round rookie is a huge savings.  

If they guarantee $300m, then the Browns/Blackburns would need to put $300m into escrow.

Doesn't matter if Watson will suck ass or not. The market has already been skewed up with multiple QBs, the numbers always go up. You see that going on with Lamar Jackson and the Ravens now. You don't want that to happen with Burrow. The Browns screwed everyone with young QBs.

(12-02-2022, 01:13 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Bates is making almost 13 million this year. 

Yes, and those guys I listed are going to cost $21m more against the cap next year than they are this year, and there were a bunch of guys I didn't list who are also costing $800k-$1m more against the cap next year. Re-signing Bell (and Pratt?) are probably going to cost more cap space too. Combined they are only ~$10m this year. and Bell alone will probably be more than that as $10m/yr is the 15th paid safety.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 02:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yup. Pratt is playing well but Wilson is the easy keeper. 

Plus Davis-Gaither is a really good linebacker that can step right in.  
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 11:51 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Not sure why you get this feeling. I've never ever once got that feeling from Higgins. 

Higgins is not an elite number 1 and will never be. The Higgins/Chase situation totally reminds me of the Marvin Jones/AJ Green situation from years ago.

I think Higgins can leave and be a decently productive number 1 - but not an elite, top 5 receiver in the NFL. 

To me it's all about the money with Higgins. If the Bengals offer him similar to what he can get in FA, I think he stays. That's a big IF though. 

What makes you say that? Guy has crazy body control and abiility to leap and high point the ball. Not all elite WRs have to have crazy speed. Larry Fitz was never a burner but the guy was the best WR in the league for years. Higgins could absolutely be a number one if given the opportunity.

Not sure he'd be top 5, but certainly has the ability to be a top 10 guy. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 04:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think we lose Tee on Offense, he is too good not to be paid like a #1 by somebody. We will lose Bates after this season.

We might also lose Boyd soon so we should Draft some WR's early real soon. I think we keep Hurst on Offense, Logan Wilson
and Vonn Bell get extensions on Defense. Once Mixon's contract is up we need to let him leave so we also need to draft a RB 
somewhat early like in the 2nd round same as we did Mixon.

This was one of the biggest reasons I didn't want Chase and still dislike him. Loved the Higgins pick and losing him is going to suck.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Disliking player A for being better than player B, thus making the team prioritize player A is some really weird energy.

Reply/Quote
Tiger

Mikey has money saved up from the 80's to pay everyone.You do remember when he was cheap right.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2022, 02:11 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This was one of the biggest reasons I didn't want Chase and still dislike him. Loved the Higgins pick and losing him is going to suck.

Eh, Ja'Marr is still much better than Tee Murdock. To dislike Ja'Marr cause we might lose a lesser player is pretty weird...WTF
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2022, 03:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Disliking player A for being better than player B, thus making the team prioritize player A is some really weird energy.

Weird us thinking that was weird before I even read your post Nicomo. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2022, 02:11 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This was one of the biggest reasons I didn't want Chase and still dislike him. Loved the Higgins pick and losing him is going to suck.

How could a fan of this team hate Ja'Marr Chase?  He's got the potential to be one of the best ever to play his position.  I like Tee, too, but that's an odd take.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2022, 11:02 PM)samhain Wrote: How could a fan of this team hate Ja'Marr Chase?  He's got the potential to be one of the best ever to play his position.  I like Tee, too, but that's an odd take.

One of the weirdest posts I’ve seen on this board. “I dislike our All-Pro caliber receiver who has already established himself as one of the best in the league because it means that we will lose our next best wideout, who isn’t as good as him”.

Hmmmm.
Reply/Quote
Maybe it's the homer in me . . . but I don't think that they're going to have too much of a problem keeping their guys.

If I saw State Farm commercials with the "Burrow Bargain" to go along with the Patrick Price and the original Rodgers Rate, I would be concerned . . . I think that these guys know that they're going to make enough money in Cincy and take the home town discount to stay together and keep winning. They have a mentor that can teach them that in TJ Houshmandzadeh. You can go from savior to piece of crap in just a couple of weeks. Why leave a system that you thrive in to try to fit in a new system and new team mates, many of whom will be jealous of your new contract because they, or their buddy, are getting the Jessie Bates treatment at the end of their deal.

Sure, some guys are going to get the CJ contracts that they'd be stupid to pass up, but for the most part . . . I think that they know how fun it is to play along side each other and I don't think that they want to break that up. I think that they know how special this chemistry is. Plus . . . if we do lose guys because they've already got the ring and now want the bling, we'll have plenty of outside FAs willing to take cheap deals to play here just like they did with Brady for decades. For them, it's the other way around. They've already made their money, now they want the prize.

It's good to be the King.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote