Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Can The Bengals Keep This Team Together?
With the bigger contract coming up for burrow and then Chase (hopefully tee as well), it likely means that bigger contracts expiring soon (reader and Boyd after next year along with mixon & Trey if bengals move on from them after next year) will need to be replaced by players on rookie contracts. Turning draft picks into starters is going to be key for them. I love watching those guys play but those 4 have a cap hit of almost 55m in total next year
. I see 1st and 2nd rd picks the next 2 years filling these 4 spots to free up cap room

For the bengals, hopefully volson, ctb and Dax are reliable starters on rookie deals for the next few years and they hit on a few more rookies coming up
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 09:56 PM)samhain Wrote: Plus Davis-Gaither is a really good linebacker that can step right in.  

Personally, I think Bailey is better than ADG. Without the pre-draft injury, Bailey goes way ahead of ADG because he was already a proven commodity and ADG was a project. But you can see how he has improved from his limited time from last season.

I was so stoked when they made the Bailey pick because they already had two starters in Pratt and Bynes . . . Wilson and ADG would learn as backups and Bailey could heal all while learning the system with no need to rush back. He got a few snaps at the end of the season making one great play and getting eaten alive on pass coverage for another play, and many fans remembered that bad play more than anything. When Wilson and ADG were both injured in 2021, Bailey stepped up and played well until he got banged up early in the Chargers loss and missed the Niners loss. Played well again after he came back and, along with the quality spot fill-in play by Johnston and Bachie, Cincy used late round picks to trade up to get who they wanted at other positions instead of using one on a late round LB. They have quality depth at LB . . . when was the last time a Bengal fan could say that?

Look at RB. Traveon Williams is 4th in line and is in his 4th year in the system. In Mixon's absence they gave him a couple of carries against Pittsburgh and five KO returns, a couple of carries and a big 24 yard screen against Tennessee and a carry near the end along with a couple of KO returns against KC. Whether they feel that they can lean on him is one thing but that's trust at the end of the depth chart in big games right there. Their LBs are similar and it's awesome.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2022, 11:02 PM)samhain Wrote: How could a fan of this team hate Ja'Marr Chase?  He's got the potential to be one of the best ever to play his position.  I like Tee, too, but that's an odd take.

Uh yeah.  Mellow

(12-10-2022, 11:59 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: One of the weirdest posts I’ve seen on this board. “I dislike our All-Pro caliber receiver who has already established himself as one of the best in the league because it means that we will lose our next best wideout, who isn’t as good as him”.

Hmmmm.

Yes sir once again.  Mellow

(12-11-2022, 12:56 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Maybe it's the homer in me . . . but I don't think that they're going to have too much of a problem keeping their guys.

If I saw State Farm commercials with the "Burrow Bargain" to go along with the Patrick Price and the original Rodgers Rate, I would be concerned . . . I think that these guys know that they're going to make enough money in Cincy and take the home town discount to stay together and keep winning. They have a mentor that can teach them that in TJ Houshmandzadeh. You can go from savior to piece of crap in just a couple of weeks. Why leave a system that you thrive in to try to fit in a new system and new team mates, many of whom will be jealous of your new contract because they, or their buddy, are getting the Jessie Bates treatment at the end of their deal.

Sure, some guys are going to get the CJ contracts that they'd be stupid to pass up, but for the most part . . . I think that they know how fun it is to play along side each other and I don't think that they want to break that up. I think that they know how special this chemistry is. Plus . . . if we do lose guys because they've already got the ring and now want the bling, we'll have plenty of outside FAs willing to take cheap deals to play here just like they did with Brady for decades. For them, it's the other way around. They've already made their money, now they want the prize.

It's good to be the King.

Feeling the same way after the Boyd talking about Burrow and Tee being a life long Bengal fan before this and watching them all 
play together in the Chiefs game. They don't want to leave this team with Burrow on it. I think we can find a way to keep all of them
now, maybe even Pratt the Playoff P along with Logan. We will see but I see dudes that want to stay here at a discount for Lombardi's.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2022, 01:42 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Uh yeah.  Mellow

Yes sir once again.  Mellow

Feeling the same way after the Boyd talking about Burrow and Tee being a life long Bengal fan before this and watching them all 
play together in the Chiefs game. They don't want to leave this team with Burrow on it. I think we can find a way to keep all of them
now, maybe even Pratt the Playoff P along with Logan. We will see but I see dudes that want to stay here at a discount for Lombardi's.

I could actually see a big problem keeping Playoff P. He was better last year than the year before and he's better this year. That doesn't happen often in Cincinnati. This is usually the place where players plateau the moment they land in Kentucky. Pratt has broken that trend and actually has visual proof of improving every year . . . somebody's going to offer him big money and I hope it isn't an AFC North team.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2022, 01:51 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I could actually see a big problem keeping Playoff P. He was better last year than the year before and he's better this year. That doesn't happen often in Cincinnati. This is usually the place where players plateau the moment they land in Kentucky. Pratt has broken that trend and actually has visual proof of improving every year . . . somebody's going to offer him big money and I hope it isn't an AFC North team.

Ahh man, spoiled it brother lol

But yeah, love Playoff P and would be sad to see him go anywhere else but it might happen. Good thing I agree with you on Markus
Bailey and I also love ADG for the future under Betcher. Pretty sweet having players lined up in case you lose a great and can hopefully
replace one with someone venerable and not just bad like all our times before.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2022, 01:58 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ahh man, spoiled it brother lol

But yeah, love Playoff P and would be sad to see him go anywhere else but it might happen. Good thing I agree with you on Markus
Bailey and I also love ADG for the future under Betcher. Pretty sweet having players lined up in case you lose a great and can hopefully
replace one with someone venerable and not just bad like all our times before.

Sorry. lol

I just don't think that his continued growth as an all around LB was in their plans. They knew that Bates was going to price himself off of this team so they planned for it. Now you add Pratt's growing reputation throughout the league and re-signing him just got a lot more expensive. You know that several GMs are paying a lot of attention to how the Bengals handle this situation.

Remember, after draft day, when Steeler fans were laughing at us because their team traded up in front of Cincy to get Devin Bush, so we had to "settle" on Pratt in the 3rd as their was a maaaaaajor drop off between their supposed next HOF LB and our 'desperate reach' because they stole Bush from us? Maybe I shouldn't gloat, though. As good as its feels to hit on a pick and the Steelers pay for missing on a big one . . . the next Bengals pick was a trade up in the 4th round for Ryan Finley . . . two picks after that was the lunatic DE Maxx Crosby. Yikes! 
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Smart draft choices will be of paramount importance. The salary cap makes loaded teams lose folks and the teams that draft well simply reload with rookie contracts.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2022, 10:03 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Sorry. lol

I just don't think that his continued growth as an all around LB was in their plans. They knew that Bates was going to price himself off of this team so they planned for it. Now you add Pratt's growing reputation throughout the league and re-signing him just got a lot more expensive. You know that several GMs are paying a lot of attention to how the Bengals handle this situation.

Remember, after draft day, when Steeler fans were laughing at us because their team traded up in front of Cincy to get Devin Bush, so we had to "settle" on Pratt in the 3rd as their was a maaaaaajor drop off between their supposed next HOF LB and our 'desperate reach' because they stole Bush from us? Maybe I shouldn't gloat, though. As good as its feels to hit on a pick and the Steelers pay for missing on a big one . . . the next Bengals pick was a trade up in the 4th round for Ryan Finley . . . two picks after that was the lunatic DE Maxx Crosby. Yikes! 

Ryan Finley's claim to fame, He played in the NFL, beat the steelers then was supplanted by one Joe Burrow.. Not bad for a cup of coffee..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good thread.

Like most, I think Bates is gone after the season, with Hill likely stepping in. However, I do not think we have to let Bates walk. If we paid him (or tagged him again?), we'd have to sacrifice in some other areas. Let someother guys walk or cut another well paid player (Mixon?).

Anyway, I think the discussion of who should stay and who should go is a good one as our Super Bowl window remains open on Burrows rookie deal. That contract should run through 2024 (once we pick up the 5th year option). So 2 more years after this one before really hard decisions have to be made. But even now, contract extensions that run into 2025 have to be weighed about what our cap will look like with Burrow (and then Chase) on huge deals.

All that preamble out of the way, I am gonna try to post a summary of our FA/cap situation here. But it will be long, so I will do it in another post.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2022, 06:19 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Good thread.

Like most, I think Bates is gone after the season, with Hill likely stepping in. However, I do not think we have to let Bates walk. If we paid him (or tagged him again?), we'd have to sacrifice in some other areas. Let someother guys walk or cut another well paulid player (Mixon?).

Anyway, I think the discussion of who should stay and who should go is a good one as our Super Bowl window remains open on Burrows rookie deal. That contract should run through 2024 (once we pick up the 5th year option). So 2 more years after this one before really hard decisions have to be made. But even now, contract extensions that run into 2025 have to be weighed about what our cap will look like with Burrow (and then Chase) on huge deals.

All that preamble out of the way, I am gonna tey to oist a symmary of our FA/cap situation here. But it will be long, so I will do it in another post.

Joe's rookie deal will not go through 2024. They will most likely extend him long before that.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
After reading this, I will say you do not trade Higgins. Every year you have to try to win the Super Bowl, and they have a better chance with Higgins. You can hit him with the franchise tag as well because Joe's new contract won't be in effect until after Tee's fifth season correct?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 08:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Easy for Hurst to find new words for a new home for 2yr/$20m or 3yr/$30m from a desperate team. It's a business and it will be his last real FA, he doesn't have long left in the NFL, and he's not even reached $15m in career earnings, so he needs to cash in on the one final time he can. I am 99% sure he chases the money, and I won't blame him for it.

Bengals can't afford to pay Higgins like a #1 while also paying Burrow and Chase. We're talking all three of them combined being roughly $110m/yr on average. You can't build anything resembling a complete team with that. It's already going to be tough to build a complete team with Burrow and Chase making ~$85m/yr on average. 

The money you save being in a more affordable city like Cincinnati is offset by the increased sponsorship money from being in a bigger city/market. LA is more expensive than Detroit, but Matthew Stafford wasn't getting national Little Caesar and AT&T commercial deals in Detroit. Not to mention if teams like the Cowboys, Jaguars, or Titans come calling, those states have no state income tax which on a 4-5yr/$100-125m deal is $4.8-6.0m saved over Ohio's state income tax.

Mahomes plays in KC and he gets plenty of commercial time.  Stafford just won a Super Bowl.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2022, 06:22 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Joe's rookie deal will not go through 2024. They will most likely extend him long before that.

The earliest it could effect the books would be 2024, if we extend him before the fifth year option is exercised. Remember  you can sign an extension that does not necessarily replace the deal you are playing on now. 
Reply/Quote
How do you guys like Logan Wilson? That guy is a stud IMO.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 01:36 PM)Synric Wrote: Top 10 pick is highly unlikely. A first round pick all together is probably a stretch but maybe not a trade with around late first round value.

Top 10 might be unlikely but top 15 to 20 is in range. I can think of two teams in that Range that would love to add Higgins in the Jaguars and Packers.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2022, 07:56 PM)J24 Wrote: Top 10 might be unlikely but top 15 to 20 is in range. I can think of two teams in that Range that would love to add Higgins in the Jaguars and Packers.

We will take Higgins.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2022, 07:56 PM)J24 Wrote: Top 10 might be unlikely but top 15 to 20 is in range. I can think of two teams in that Range that would love to add Higgins in the Jaguars and Packers.

Jacksonville traded for Ridley, and ponied up a nice contract to Christian Kirk. Not sure they'd pull the trigger for another WR.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Actually in a strange way, just about all of the players (except Bell/Bates & Burrow) have missed time and that may cost them at contract negotiation time.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2022, 08:18 PM)jason Wrote: Jacksonville traded for Ridley, and ponied up a nice contract to Christian Kirk. Not sure they'd pull the trigger for another WR.

Still adding Higgins to play with Lawrence would intrigue them! I would think!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2022, 09:11 PM)J24 Wrote: Still adding Higgins to play with Lawrence would intrigue them! I would think!

I totally forgot they were college teammates... As to your earlier post; GB was stupid for not taking Tee in the first in 2020.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote