Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Can We Block the Rams???
I've heard the saying, "games are won in the trenches" all my life. Well, the trenches is where the Rams excel, apparently.

Through Sunday, Los Angeles ranked first in pass block win rate, pass rush win rate and run stop win rate.

Most of you guys know the ends and outs of the game a helluva lot better than I do. I need your analysis. CAN WE BLOCK THE LA RAMS enough to unleash our very skilled and explosive weapons on offense? I believe we can shred their secondary if we give Joseph an extra split second of time. And can our defense get enough pressure on Stafford to force him into a couple of pivotal mistakes, which he can be prone to make at times?

What's it gonna take for our lines to block well enough to capture our first Superbowl title? Can we block these Rams???

Tell me how it can be done so I can get a little sleep over these next thirteen days. I think we have a great shot of winning this thing and silencing these damn Lambs if we can block well enough . How do we do it?
Reply/Quote
Leave Perine or Mixon in to assist against interior rushers like Donald and/or chip Miller with a tight end. When you can't do that, Higgins, Boyd, and Chase just need to get open quickly against a suspect secondary so Joe can get rid of the ball quickly. Any pass rush can be neutralized with an efficient ball control offense and a quarterback that makes good decisions under pressure.

Like ours.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully we can run the ball effectively... if not then we have to scheme up shorter routes for Joe to check down too. Going into the game expecting our 10-15 yard routes to develop isn't smart.

As I say that though my mind just flickered to the Chicago game earlier this season where the Bengals did just that. Was a horrible gameplan. Who knows!
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Maybe trying to block them straight up isn't the way to go. Using 6 OL, lining Drew Sample up at FB, and shifting the pocket to either side for planned rollouts could mitigate their strengths on D-line.

If Stafford isn't 100%, rushing 5/stacking the box might be the way to go. I don't think that they can afford to sit back in soft zones and let the Rams dominate the time of possession all game long. I would think that they're more methodical and less explosive on offense, so stifling the run early could pay off. 
Reply/Quote
I'm not even worried about it anymore. It'll be something they'll need to address in the off season, but the Bengals will be ready.
Reply/Quote
No. And everyone knows it.

We need Chase. Higgins, and Boyd to be successful on quick routes and generate YAC.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 11:15 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Most of you guys know the ends and outs of the game a helluva lot better than I do.

*Ins and outs (you're welcome)

(01-31-2022, 11:15 PM)Science Friction Wrote: What's it gonna take for our lines to block well enough to capture our first Superbowl title?   

You think our D-line also needs to block? We might be in real trouble if that's the case. 
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 11:15 PM)Science Friction Wrote: I've heard the saying, "games are won in the trenches" all my life.  Well, the trenches  is  where  the Rams excel, apparently.

Through Sunday, Los Angeles ranked first in pass block win rate, pass rush win rate and run stop win rate.

Most of you guys know the ends and outs of the game a helluva lot better than I do. I need your analysis. CAN WE BLOCK THE LA RAMS enough to unleash our very skilled and explosive weapons on offense?   I believe we can shred their secondary if we give Joseph an extra split second of time.  And can our defense get enough pressure on Stafford to force him into a couple of pivotal mistakes, which he can be prone to make at times?

What's it gonna take for our lines to block well enough to capture our first Superbowl title?    Can we block these Rams???

Tell me how it can be done so I can get a little sleep over these next thirteen days.  I think we have a great shot of winning this thing and silencing these damn Lambs  if we can block well enough .   How do we do it?

Moving pocket,  that cuts a pass rush in half,  the 1960's Chiefs made it work with Len Dawson,  it works.
Reply/Quote
The coaches have two weeks to build a game plan, and they will. Plus Burrow gives them the needed confidence that they can and will make the plays.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 01:02 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: No. And everyone knows it.

We need Chase. Higgins, and Boyd to be successful on quick routes and generate YAC.

Which is what we've been doing all through the playoffs. Our big play downfield passing has been nearly non-existent, because our line can't win enough against the big uglies of playoff caliber defenses. We've adjusted well, and that's how we'll have to play the Rams, too.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 09:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Which is what we've been doing all through the playoffs. Our big play downfield passing has been nearly non-existent, because our line can't win enough against the big uglies of playoff caliber defenses. We've adjusted well, and that's how we'll have to play the Rams, too.

Exactly.

Take what is given on offense and hope that the D can make some stops/create turnovers.

That's what is the Bengals currently are with the opposition presented.

They just need to hold up one more game.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Put XFS back in at RG
Reply/Quote
Run.

The Rams arent the best run defense in the NFL create 2nd and 3rd and short. Efficent Offense then take your shots.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 10:18 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Exactly.

Take what is given on offense and hope that the D can make some stops/create turnovers.

That's what is the Bengals currently are with the opposition presented.

They just need to hold up one more game.

Please. Pray

Defense is key. Because we're not dropping 40 on them with this play style. We'll get points, but can't get into a shootout playing this way.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
At least 50% of our offensive snaps need to be out of a wildcat formation with Chase taking the direct snap.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 01:16 AM)EasyPeasy Wrote: *Ins and outs (you're welcome)

You think our D-line also needs to block? We might be in real trouble if that's the case. 
You know what he meant. Sheesh. How about answering the questions?

I think it's a tall task to block Donald, Miller and co. You can't simply chip Donald. He'll blow through any running back or tight end we put in there to block him. We need to double him for sure.

Quick throws. Move the pocket. Running the ball will be hard so we need to find a way to keep them guessing. Can't be as obvious as we have been in my opinion (running on every 1st down from obvious running formations). Play action will be difficult bc of the likelihood of sacks.

It's going to take an amazing game plan to muster up enough offense in this one. I hope the extra time will help. I see that dline making things very difficult.

The one major positive is of course Burrow's ability to allude the rush and make plays--as well as our WRs against their dbs. I'm concerned though.

I think our defense is going to have to be dominant all game and it's our best chance of winning the game. If our offense can surprise me and put up 20-30 points I'll be ecstatic.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 09:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Which is what we've been doing all through the playoffs. Our big play downfield passing has been nearly non-existent, because our line can't win enough against the big uglies of playoff caliber defenses. We've adjusted well, and that's how we'll have to play the Rams, too.

Agree. I would like to see the big plays downfield and the high yardage games in the Super Bowl. Love to show the world that aspect of the Bengals. But we just might not see it, because Burrow does not have time. And, as the Bengals Offensive Coordinator said today, Darnold is the best defensive player in the NFL. So, not expecting it in the Super Bowl. Just need to find a way to win.
Reply/Quote
If CJ isn’t 100%, maybe Sample starts and steps up. I actually wonder if he wasn’t a factor in slowing down the chiefs DLine.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
Not if we can't run the ball. If Bengals can run the ball then maybe, but they've had trouble at times doing this season.

The line is what it is at this point and if the Bengals can't run the ball consistently they will have to try and scheme around Miller and Donald somehow lol and win the turnover battle for sure.

They've had to do against TJ Watt but its a monumental task against Rams for sure but its only one game so who knows. But think the Bengals D-line Hubbard, Hendrickson, Reader, and Hill are going to take all this talk to heart and step up big for Bengals as well to help equal things out.

Will not be easy but we know Burrow and the boys will not quit so I just think the Bengals find a way to get it done at this point and become Super Bowl Champions.

Yet we had better go all in on getting Burrow protection in the off season.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I expect we are going to keep a blocker in specifically tasked to Donald so he is fighting a double all the time. Remember the Bengals are multiple at WR and can actually send the three amigos out while running max protect and LET JOE COOK.
Reply/Quote