Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can the Coaches & Org please pay attn
I am envious of so many things written in this thread with respect to
how Bill rules the roost and what’s truly important for winning besides
marquee names.

Would love to know what Bill would do about Chase!

https://www.boston.com/sports/commentary/2021/08/31/chad-finn-bill-belichick-cam-newton-mac-jones-patriots/?amp=1
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 04:02 PM)Whacked Wrote: I am envious of so many things written in this thread with respect to
marquee names.

https://www.boston.com/sports/commentary/2021/08/31/chad-finn-bill-belichick-cam-newton-mac-jones-patriots/?amp=1

Bill would’ve started by not drafting a WR in the first round. I think he’s only done that one time with NE…
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 04:30 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Bill would’ve started by not drafting a WR in the first round. I think he’s only done that one time with NE…

Bill's a trench guy
Reply/Quote
I'm sorry, but what is in that article that we don't all already know?

When has Zac kept someone around, well past their prime?

- Glenn
- Preston Brown
- Andy (although he may still have some years left in the tank, we don't know)

List goes on. In fact, his purging of a ton of the old guard, has been PRAISED, as he rid the team of a lot of guys who had seen their best days and people that Marv puffed up.

This isn't calling Zac the greatest coach ever or anything of that nature, but the cutting of people past their prime and moving on, he has done since 2019 and that's what most coaches do in the league, especially if you plan on winning anything.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 04:30 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Bill would’ve started by not drafting a WR in the first round. I think he’s only done that one time with NE…

Turned out terrible for him, too. N'Keal Harry has hardly set the world on fire.

(09-01-2021, 04:32 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Bill's a trench guy

Yeah. 

Of his 22 drafts with the Patriots, he's gone OL/DL with his first (not first round, but first) pick 11 times and DB 5 times if my quick count was right.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

You mean like when he ignored his scouts who wanted AJ Brown and Deebo Samuel and took N'Keal Harry instead?
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 04:02 PM)Whacked Wrote: I am envious of so many things written in this thread with respect to
marquee names.

Bill Belichick doesn't give up on a promising rookie because of a few drops in training camp. That's a pretty basic certainty right there and I doubt that Belichick would even consider it worthy of anything more than a comment to Chase that he's better than that. Coming from a guy like Belichick that comment would have weight. Coming from a failed used car salesman, it just doesn't have the same impact some how.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 04:53 PM)Au165 Wrote: You mean like when he ignored his scouts who wanted AJ Brown and Deebo Samuel and took N'Keal Harry instead?

The one and only time he took a WR in the first.....

I'd still say his draft and coaching track record is light years ahead of the results here in Cincinnati. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 04:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Of his 22 drafts with the Patriots, he's gone OL/DL with his first (not first round, but first) pick 11 times and DB 5 times if my quick count was right.

Bill understands the game 

obviously
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 04:58 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The one and only time he took a WR in the first.....

I'd still say his draft and coaching track record is light years ahead of the results here in Cincinnati. 

His drafting record in the last 10 years is god awful. Belicheck the coach continues to bail out Belicheck the GM. For instance, taking Sony Michel in the 1st over Nick Chubb is another of his recent hits. A few year ago he cut a 2nd round corner the year he drafted him.
Reply/Quote
To be fair though and play a little devils advocate, Bill doesn't often find himself picking top 10.

He has a scouting department and finds gems in the rough consistently.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 04:59 PM)Au165 Wrote: His drafting record in the last 10 years is god awful.

Yet his results are next level...

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 05:00 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Yet his results are next level...

That is the coaching, not his GM skills. No one in the league thinks Bill the GM is good at all. Google some stories on it, it's not a secret. 
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 04:59 PM)Au165 Wrote: His drafting record in the last 10 years is god awful. Belicheck the coach continues to bail out Belicheck the GM. For instance, taking Sony Michel in the 1st over Nick Chubb is another of his recent hits. A few year ago he cut a 2nd round corner the year he drafted him.

I don't know if I would go as far as god awful, but it sure hasn't been great.

It probably also doesn't help that until Mac Jones at 15th this year, they hadn't picked earlier than 21st overall in those 10 years. Lots of late picks and 4 of the last 10 years no 1st round pick.

Still better than the Bengals over the last 10 years, sadly. (AJ Green/Andy Dalton/Clint Boling was 11 drafts ago. Time flies.)

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 05:00 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Yet his results are next level...

Not since Tom left 
Reply/Quote
Us Bengal fans nitpicking BB in any capacity is humorous.

I suppose what you’ve all said above does prove is that free agency is highly important and that’s something I feel the Bengals are trying extensively to participate more in. We’ll see this year if it pans out for us in that regard.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 05:13 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Not since Tom left 

I will give Bill his due when he makes noise without Tom Brady, because he hasn’t done it one time without him.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 05:13 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Not since Tom left 

I mean.... he won more games with a QB that threw 8 TDs in 15 starts than the Bengals have over the last 2 years combined.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 05:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I mean.... he won more games with a QB that threw 8 TDs in 15 starts than the Bengals have over the last 2 years combined.

No body here thinks ZT is a good coach.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 05:47 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: No body here thinks ZT is a good coach.

Yeah, that was a minor point of the post. The majority was that it was pretty damn impressive that they had a QB that made 15 starts yet finished 34th in passing TDs.... and yet they still went 7-9.

Reply/Quote