Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Can we cut #70 already. He is so worthlees
(11-01-2016, 03:43 PM)Wyche Wrote: I gotcha....and you're right.  That said, this team seems to lack fire at times, and we never see folks held accountable.  Something has to be done quickly here, or we are headed back to the middle of the Palmer era......or worse.

Quick question for you:

How do you know that folks aren't being held accountable?  Not being an ass, but I want to know.  I don't think anyone on this board knows how the meetings go and who is getting called out.  The real issue is that there isn't anyone behind the guys that are playing bad that can actually play better.  You have to put the guys on the field that give you the best chance to win.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 03:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Too many people think the only thing that makes a good coach is the ability to scream and yell.

I have seen plenty of screaming coaches call out their teams and continue to lose.

That's not what some of us are saying.  Zimmer holds people accountable, and yes, is a firey type of coach.  Marvin seems very passive, and accountability appears lacking.  If just once he would tell it like it is after a game, get in a ref's ear, chew a guy coming off the field after a serious bonehead move, light a fire under his team's ass, or show any emotion in an emotional game....people might let up on him a little.

I've played for both types.  You hate to disappoint and let down the good guy, but you hate the gassers and ass chewings from the prick worse than that.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 03:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: Zimmer holds people accountable,

How exactly?

What does he do that Marvin does not?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 03:46 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Quick question for you:

How do you know that folks aren't being held accountable?  Not being an ass, but I want to know.  I don't think anyone on this board knows how the meetings go and who is getting called out.  The real issue is that there isn't anyone behind the guys that are playing bad that can actually play better.  You have to put the guys on the field that give you the best chance to win.

I gotta go with results and what I see.  I have seen many instances (and you have too) where a player should be yanked off the field for a few plays and gotten his ass chewed....but it doesn't happen.  I'm not pinning it all on Marv either.  He and his staff should have been held accountable after 2010, the SD debacle, and MOST CERTAINLY this last meltdown against Pitt.  No one ever seems to be on the hot seat around here.

This season, off the top of my head, you have a guy that was a MAJOR contributor to our playoff loss, gets suspended for it, then shows up fat and out of shape.  That is the epitome of a lack of accountability IMHO.  We're 3-4-1, with wins over the 3 worst teams in the league.  If someone is messing up, sit their ass.  Hell, coaches in college bench big time players all the time for rules infractions....some guys like Belichik do it at the NFL level.  It's just an observation from my perspective.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 03:52 PM)Wyche Wrote: I gotta go with results and what I see.

What was the results of Zimmer holding his players accountable last week?

Who did he bench?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 03:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How exactly?

What does he do that Marvin does not?

I've seen him chew the defense's ass out in a freaking preseason game on Hard Knocks....there's a link of the vid on here in a thread....he has specifically called out position groups and players instead of golf clapping, saying "let's go", and "we did some good things today".  

Again, I can't solely blame Marv for it, it starts at the top.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 03:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What was the results of Zimmer holding his players accountable last week?

Who did he bench?

Generally speaking.....and I did not mention Zimmer specifically in my post.  If you're going to address my replies, address all of them, not just parts.

I don't know the answer, because I haven't looked at the lineups for the Vikings against PHI or CHI.  I'm assuming he didn't or you wouldn't have cherry picked that.

So you are saying that you wouldn't yank PacMan and Burfict for some of the silly shit they've pulled to get their attention?

Reply/Quote
Ok. Now can we cut this worthless waste of space. Thnx
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 03:52 PM)Wyche Wrote: This season, off the top of my head, you have a guy that was a MAJOR contributor to our playoff loss, gets suspended for it, then shows up fat and out of shape.  That is the epitome of a lack of accountability IMHO.  We're 3-4-1, with wins over the 3 worst teams in the league.  If someone is messing up, sit their ass. 

This is just silly unless you have a better player to put in.

The game last night would not even have been close without Burfict playing.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 01:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is just silly unless you have a better player to put in.

The game last night would not even have been close without Burfict playing.

Guenther threatened to bench vets.....Burfict's best game to date. Mellow

Winston IS better than Ogbuehi, yet Ogbuehi still gets snaps. Mellow

You don't have to bench guys permanently, but if you think that it doesn't get a player's attention from time to time, then I really gotta question if your stories about playing are true......or you played for sackless coaches that wouldn't bench pets when they effed up.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 02:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: You don't have to bench guys permanently, but if you think that it doesn't get a player's attention from time to time, then I really gotta question if your stories about playing are true......or you played for sackless coaches that wouldn't bench pets when they effed up.

Yes benching can "get a players attention", but it is not that simple to fix poor play.  

If all it took to make a player great was to bench him then I could be a great coach.  Benching a player without addressing the reason he was benched does nothing.

Same thi8ng with all the guys who claim all our coaches need to do is yell louder or criticizes the players in public.  Neither of those tactics does anything to fix most problems with poor play.  There are very few guys who have made it to the level of starting in the NFL who are playing poorly just because no one is yelling at them.

BTW in college I played for a great coach.  Ken Sparks made the playoffs 25 times as a head coach winning 5 National Championships (NAIA) and playing in 4 other Championship games (Div II).  He is the all-time leader in wins by a Div-ll head coach.  He did not think he could fix every problem just by benching whoever messed up each week.  Instead he tried to look at why they were playing badly and address the problem.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 04:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes benching can "get a players attention", but it is not that simple to fix poor play.  

If all it took to make a player great was to bench him then I could be a great coach.  Benching a player without addressing the reason he was benched does nothing.

Same thi8ng with all the guys who claim all our coaches need to do is yell louder or criticizes the players in public.  Neither of those tactics does anything to fix most problems with poor play.  There are very few guys who have made it to the level of starting in the NFL who are playing poorly just because no one is yelling at them.

BTW in college I played for a great coach.  Ken Sparks made the playoffs 25 times as a head coach winning 5 National Championships (NAIA) and playing in 4 other Championship games (Div II).  He is the all-time leader in wins by a Div-ll head coach.  He did not think he could fix every problem just by benching whoever messed up each week.  Instead he tried to look at why they were playing badly and address the problem.

I agree with what you're saying, and know who was your coach at Carson Newman.....but we're 10 weeks in, something has to be shaken up somewhere at this point. Also, some of the penalties and silly shit I was referring to would have been a prime reason to bench a couple.

Reply/Quote
Unless he makes drastic improvements in the offseason, this could very well be right near the top of one of the worst first round draft picks in Bengals history.

drafted first round knowing he will be on IR for the season, meaning no minicamps, tc, practices - check
one of if not the worst starting right tackle in the league second season - check
tbd - third season
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Cough cough.......
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 07:11 PM)BengalRed Wrote: They aren't going to cut a first round draft pick in his second season. Besides, he'll get better.

Based on what metric?

The longer a young player gets the better he plays?

What if that player is pure trash tho

My fault Bengalsred didn't see this was a bump
Reply/Quote
News Flash: the guy played like an epic bust last season and nothing has changed.

People tried to force optimism on the guy (with no evidence or reason) all offseason and now it's pretty clear that he is what he is.

Can't blame injury or lack of offseason now. So now what?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Face it, due to the biblical level of stubbornness and ego of Alexander and Lewis, Ced is going to be our LT for years to come for better or worse. And trust me, it's going to get worse.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 05:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: News Flash: the guy played like an epic bust last season and nothing has changed.

People tried to force optimism on the guy (with no evidence or reason) all offseason and now it's pretty clear that he is what he is.

Tackle is not his natural position. All we have to do is switch him to guard and he'll be in the pro-bowl.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 05:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: News Flash: the guy played like an epic bust last season and nothing has changed.

It's what happens when people get caught up in how good of an athlete a guy is. He couldn't even stick at LT in college, but that didn't matter to the FO. Dude just can't play football.
Reply/Quote
Where all the Cedric Ogbuehi apologists?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote