Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Carl Lawson posts cryptic tweet
If you have an Athletic subscription this is a must-read on Lawson.

https://theathletic.com/2443287/2021/03/11/carl-lawson-talks-free-agency-avoiding-the-franchise-tag-bengals-chances-to-retain-him/

The guy comes across as very likable. I think it's interesting that he said franchise tagging him didn't make sense for the team because they needed to protect "9" first then take care of a long-term deal with him from a cap standpoint. Obviously, he says he is open to listening to other teams but he approaches it with the Bengals as the front runners. It kind of feels like we have a good chance to get him back unless someone attempts to reset the market with him, or at the least go WAY beyond where we will go.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 05:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: If you have an Athletic subscription this is a must-read on Lawson.

https://theathletic.com/2443287/2021/03/11/carl-lawson-talks-free-agency-avoiding-the-franchise-tag-bengals-chances-to-retain-him/

The guy comes across as very likable. I think it's interesting that he said franchise tagging him didn't make sense for the team because they needed to protect "9" first then take care of a long-term deal with him from a cap standpoint. Obviously, he says he is open to listening to other teams but he approaches it with the Bengals as the front runners. It kind of feels like he is probably coming back unless someone attempts to reset the market with him, or at the least go WAY beyond where we will go.

I don't have an Athletic subscription so thanks for giving the low down.

I like that he is being unselfish and speaks of protecting Burrow as the first priority, cause it is. Makes me hope we can give him a
fair deal and he takes it, a long term deal. Just hope he can stay healthy. We still need to add more pass rushers even if we extend
Lawson though. This Draft isn't really deep with pass rushers.
Reply/Quote
Carl Lawson interview https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/exclusive-carl-lawson-joins-htpg/id1477129521?i=1000512572707

"we have to protect #9"

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 04:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Right on. I'm not saying I'm right on this, but my view is that our defense stunk even with those pressures, so how impactful were they, really?

This is like saying Brandon Scherff's blocking can't be very "impactful" since the Washington offense ranked 30th in the league.

I can give you many other examples of very good players on bad teams.

You can't judge an individual players value based on team stats.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 06:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is like saying Brandon Scherff's blocking can't be very "impactful" since the Washington offense ranked 30th in the league.

I can give you many other examples of very good players on bad teams.

You can't judge an individual players value based on team stats.

Meh. I didn't say it's all on Lawson. I'm saying why pay $15 million per when nothing else is going to change? Lawson isn't "impactful" enough to raise the level of coaching and players around him, so invest elsewhere. Even if things outside of Lawson were much better, he isn't worth that price tag based on his current production.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 06:15 PM)pally Wrote: Carl Lawson interview  https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/exclusive-carl-lawson-joins-htpg/id1477129521?i=1000512572707

"we have to protect #9"

This interview is the first time I've ever heard Carl Lawson speak. I found him to be a very likable guy and I hope the Bengals can make the #s work to bring him back. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 06:15 PM)pally Wrote: Carl Lawson interview  https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/exclusive-carl-lawson-joins-htpg/id1477129521?i=1000512572707

"we have to protect #9"

Carl comes across as a super good dude. Even had fun with the Jeremy on twitter thing.

For anyone who wants cliff notes....

- In Carl's OWN WORDS: It didn't make sense for the Bengals to franchise tag him when the cap money hits immediately vs a lower number spread out over time.
- He likes it in Cincinnati. The Bengals and his agent are working on it, but we will see.
- He understands them freeing up as much cap space as possible BEFORE signing him. HIS WORDS: "#1 thing for the Bengals this offseason needs to be to protect 9 (Burrow)" and basically anything/anyone else NEEDS to be secondary.
- Loves his teammates and the Org
- NOT a TJ or Whitworth situation. NO salt there. He will 100% give the Bengals the chance to sign him.

Carl was light hearted, honest (to a fault), and grounded on what the deal is with the Bengals and the NFL in general. Absolutely no animosity. He isn't in hiding. His tweets are 99% meant to goof off and troll twitter goofballs. He in no way is THAT serious about it.

The part with Jeremey crapping on him was fun. Carl was cracking up and was saying that if he met Jeremey on the street, there "would be hands" and that he is definitely NOT wanting to run into Jeremey. But, not from him. He isn't mad... JEREMY, though, is furious with him (for some reason).

- Carl KNOWS the stats and what he is worth (to a degree). I thought it was really interesting when they compared him to Shaq Barret and he said he didn't see it and basically stopped short of saying Barrett was a more complete, better/productive player than him. I don't get the sense that Carl is an egotistical guy with football. I think he knows he kicks ass, but in his own way and wants to find a team who will pay him for that... WHICH ANYONE WOULD WANT.
Reply/Quote
Is Jeremy just a randon person on Twitter that talks shit to Lawson?

Sorry, didn't listen to the interview yet...
Reply/Quote
It was a good interview with him. He seems really well grounded and in tune with the position he’s in. He knows pass rushers are in demand and he’s not stressed out about because he knows someone will value his services.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the bengals are letting him set his market. If that’s a price they can live with they might resign him. If not, he walks. At some point he even says he thinks the team would do right by him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 10:44 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Is Jeremy just a randon person on Twitter that talks shit to Lawson?  

yes

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 10:44 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Is Jeremy just a randon person on Twitter that talks shit to Lawson?  

Yep, just a random guy that got way too upset on twitter. 
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 01:14 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Meh. I didn't say it's all on Lawson. I'm saying why pay $15 million per when nothing else is going to change? 

Two reasons.

1.  You have no idea if anything will change around him. Do you honestly think Waynes and Reader will also miss 2021?

2.  Our defense gets WORSE if we don't spend the money on him  or some other equal replacement.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 10:15 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: This interview is the first time I've ever heard Carl Lawson speak. I found him to be a very likable guy and I hope the Bengals can make the #s work to bring him back. 

He loves Dragon Ball Z, so he's awesome in my book!  Rock On
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 12:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Two reasons.

1.  You have no idea if anything will change around him. Do you honestly think Waynes and Reader will also miss 2021?

2.  Our defense gets WORSE if we don't spend the money on him  or some other equal replacement.

I understand both points but I am leaning toward getting a couple pass rushers, might not be able to do that if we pay Lawson
15 mil per year. We also need to get some O-lineman. We might be able to get a couple of pass rushers like Wolfe and Rankins
while getting a couple Guards. I don't see us being able to get all of this if we are paying mega bucks to Lawson.

Fine line.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 11:48 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Yep, just a random guy that got way too upset on twitter. 

Jeremeh... Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 12:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Two reasons.

1. Our defense and pass rush didn't look good when Reader played.

2. It's hard to get worse than we were last year. You can only go up from dead last in sacks. We were near bottom in every significant category. Bad is bad.

I'd rather spend that money making sure Burrow isn't a stain on the turf. Besides, it's not like we can't invest cap space and picks on other answers. 

And again, his production isn't worth $15 million. Period.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Yes! lol.... Like, Jeremy's tweets basically are rage letters at him.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 04:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2. It's hard to get worse than we were last year. You can only go up from dead last in sacks. We were near bottom in every significant category. Bad is bad.

Our pass efficiency defense (96.1) ranked 22nd in the league.  That was much closer to league average (93.6) than the bottom (112.4).  So, yes, we can get a lot worse.

Pressure effects a QBs efficiency.  Therefore if we remove the guy who applied the most pressure on our team then our pass defense will get worse.

Our defenses pass efficiency ranking was higher with Lawson than our offenses pass efficiency with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 04:15 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Yes! lol.... Like, Jeremy's tweets basically are rage letters at him.

Hill.... is that you????
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 04:15 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Yes! lol.... Like, Jeremy's tweets basically are rage letters at him.

I'm tired of looking. Any chance someone could post one of his tweets?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote