Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carlos Dunlap question.
(07-06-2018, 09:47 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: How are you getting that I am saying it's Dunlap fault?  It's not it's the linbakers fault.

Easily.  Teams study film.  If the strong side DE is fantastic, the last thing they want to do is run that way.  If the team with a great Strong side DE also happens to have a mediocre SAM LB, it's a good bet to be able to dump the ball right behind that great DE.  

Are you following me?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 10:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Easily.  Teams study film.  If the strong side DE is fantastic, the last thing they want to do is run that way.  If the team with a great Strong side DE also happens to have a mediocre SAM LB, it's a good bet to be able to dump the ball right behind that great DE.  

Are you following me?

Again I am not blaming Dunlap how are you not getting this . 
Here is my point Dunlap doesn't finish has many sacks as he could because when he gets there the QB dumps the ball of to the RB in the flat or underneath because the defense is designed not to give up the big play. Again not Dunlap fault it's the schemes fault.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 10:43 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Again I am not blaming Dunlap how are you not getting this . 
Here is my point Dunlap doesn't finish has many sacks as he could because when he gets there the QB dumps the ball of to the RB in the flat or underneath because the defense is designed not to give up the big play. Again not Dunlap fault it's the schemes fault.

Sorry man, I must have misunderstood you.  But, is it really the scheme at fault?  Or is it the master planner trying to save a buck on skimping at SAM LB?  In a typical 4-3, the SAM should be right there to clean up after the RDE pushes the pocket into the QB's face.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
First of all, I am and have been a big Dunlap fan, right from his rookie season, when he should have gotten more snaps.

But here are my reasons:

1. He is dedicated to fulfilling all his responsibilities on every play, run or pass. He plays for the team rather than individual sack totals.

2. He loves to knock passes down, and sometimes starts playing for that too soon. I know there is great value in a knockdown, too, but I think it costs him some sacks.

3. I don't think his motor runs quite as hot as some defensive ends. Once agin, I love the guy. I want him to get paid, I want him to always be a Bengal. I see his very big value. But his personality is a little more laid back than some.

4. Sometimes having a right tackle who can't match Geno Atkins on holding the point, can leave the quarterback too much room to step up to avoid a strong outside rush.

Go Carlos.
Reply/Quote
I don't have the numbers to prove it but I think a big reason is we don't blitz a whole lot. We seem to always try to get pressure with our front 4 only. With that the QB "knows" where the pressure is coming from and can use the LDE as a timing mechanism.

WTS, we do have 2 elite pass rushers. Last year only 16 players in the NFL (only 2 DTs) achieved the rushing triple-double (double digit sacks, pressures, hits) and we had 2 of them (Lawson, Geno). Personally I think we are sitting ourselves up to let Dunlap walk.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 07:21 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote:  the underneath stuff got us killed.

Having the number one pass efficiency defense in the entire league "got us killed"?

What exactly do you expect?  No other team in the league was better at stopping the pass but you still complain?
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2018, 11:02 PM)impactplaya Wrote: good ole number 96 is up.for a big pay day. he deserves it rightly so. heres my question for those who more about d-line play than i.do and football for that matter.
only once in his career has he posted more than 9 sacks. he had 13.5 a couple years back.
take away that season he has only averaged 7.0 sacks
per season.
why is it that Dunlap cannot put up double digit sack numbers consistantly?
even when the Bengals defense was ranked high under Zimmer Dunlap wasnt exactly putting the qb on the ground consistantly.
does it tie into not having enough 4th q. leads where the opposing offense is forced to throw?
is a technique issue?
i figure with Atkins drawing a double team wouldnt that single up.Dunlap on the RT without help from the TE?
I dont know can i get some insight?
hes a very good DE who i feel can produce alot more sack wise..
hes great at tipped passes deflections as hes among the top 5 among DEs in that regard.
can a few of you help a fellow fan out
i plead ignorance.

He's just not a closer. He probably leads the league, by a long shot, in 'almost sacks' but he can't quite close the deal consistently when he gets there. He's very disruptive and a very good all-around DE, but he's just not really a numbers sack guy. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 12:30 PM)redwood Wrote: There's some  difference if not on the blindside. a QB SEES you, can get rid of the ball, can scramble and dodge.  Best hope is rush stuff, hurry the play.

It doesn't matter if the QB can see you. Plenty of guys rack up sacks from the left side. At this point in his career, he may not feel as comfortable rushing from the right side. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2018, 09:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He's just not a closer. He probably leads the league, by a long shot, in 'almost sacks' but he can't quite close the deal consistently when he gets there. He's very disruptive and a very good all-around DE, but he's just not really a numbers sack guy. 

yeah you are right hes not a closer. 
batted tipped passes are nice but a few more sacks would not hurt. 
sacks are more demoralizing to a offense than a tipped pass at the LOS.
we need him to step when guys like Rodgers and Rothlisberger are moving the sticks m
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 09:47 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You need to read more of my posts lol.

He has been consistently in the top 10 (or 5?) for pressure percentage of any pass rusher in the league, year in, year out.

The problem with him is finishing; as mentioned, it could be a blindside issue, but it also could be because he has weak hands? lol

He gets his hand on the QB more than any other pass rusher in the league, seemingly (again, pressure numbers back this up), but he just can't get the QB down in time.

Technique is definitely not it, because his speed, moves and all that, get him to the QB quite frequently. He just can't finish.

That's why the sack record is possible with him.

Is it considered a sack of he strips the QB?  I think he needs to work on a tomahawk chop to dislodge the ball from opposing QBs.  Those long arms should be able to swat from a distance.  Not trying to say my son is in the same breath with Carlos (not at the table Carlos!) but I always told him when you see the QB start to release one hand from the ball, leap at him and swat above his shoulder.  He did knock a lot of balls out.  
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 05:19 PM)impactplaya Wrote: i really understand your observation. Dunlap is a well.balanced DE..does most things good....but not great.
i was looking at the Bengals schedule this year and the QBs they face 
Rothlisberger 
Taylor 
Rivers
Carr
Newton
Ryan
Brees
Luck.
its imperative the Bengals get Dunlap to be able to finish and the get the QB on the ground 
playing the run is nice but the NFL is a passing league now and the DEs coveted out of college are asked to be able to get to the QB 1st play run 2nd
Carlos needs to be able take advantage of the double teams that Atkins commands 
7.0.sacks wont get it done this year 

The other observation I would offer other than what I previously mentioned about LDE vs blind side is that he has been playing a HUGE % of the snaps.  As the season wears on, he has to wear down.  I think the best way to get more out of Dunlap is to make sure HUbbard gets a good number of snaps and have Carlos breathing fire when he comes in.  He will be more productive during the entire season and, potentially, the playoffs.  
Reply/Quote
in reality..its the constant pressure that matters..not the number of sacks of the quarterback
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2018, 10:54 AM)cooper Wrote: in reality..its the constant pressure that matters..not the number of sacks of the quarterback

My god, we agree on something.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
The post was derailed some time ago, but for people who were talking about, he rushes from the left...

"J.J. Watt, Von Miller, Khalil Mack, Justin Houston, Joey Bosa, Vic Beasley, Cameron Wake, Cliff Avril, Markus Golden, Ryan Kerrigan, Carlos Dunlap, Cameron Jordan, Jason Pierre-Paul," etc. are all rushing from the left side.
article about the bias that left tackles matter more

Thus, rushing from that side doesn't keep players from double digits. But possibly Dunlap's sight of the ball as he rushes leads him into choosing to play the ball more (e.g. pass deflection, strip sack) versus just playing the body/ QB.  Then again Flacco and Big Ben are bigger than average QBs (6'6" and 6'5" respectively) and the Browns are very unpredictable at QB....
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2018, 11:39 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't have the numbers to prove it but I think a big reason is we don't blitz a whole lot. We seem to always try to get pressure with our front 4 only. With that the QB "knows" where the pressure is coming from and can use the LDE as a timing mechanism.  

WTS, we do have 2 elite pass rushers. Last year only 16 players in the NFL (only 2 DTs) achieved the rushing triple-double (double digit sacks, pressures, hits) and we had 2 of them (Lawson, Geno). Personally I think we are sitting ourselves up to let Dunlap walk.

This
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2018, 11:02 PM)impactplaya Wrote: good ole number 96 is up.for a big pay day. he deserves it rightly so. heres my question for those who more about d-line play than i.do and football for that matter.
only once in his career has he posted more than 9 sacks. he had 13.5 a couple years back.
take away that season he has only averaged 7.0 sacks
per season.
why is it that Dunlap cannot put up double digit sack numbers consistantly?
even when the Bengals defense was ranked high under Zimmer Dunlap wasnt exactly putting the qb on the ground consistantly.
does it tie into not having enough 4th q. leads where the opposing offense is forced to throw?
is a technique issue?
i figure with Atkins drawing a double team wouldnt that single up.Dunlap on the RT without help from the TE?
I dont know can i get some insight?
hes a very good DE who i feel can produce alot more sack wise..
hes great at tipped passes deflections as hes among the top 5 among DEs in that regard.
can a few of you help a fellow fan out
i plead ignorance.

Simple answer, Carlos Dunlap needs to learn to finish the QB off once he gets to him.

He misses far too many sacks by simply not finishing the tackle.

Dunlap might be the most disruptive DE in the NFL, he does it all well, great moves, great bend, great strength, great length, great at using his hands, shedding blocks, great athleticism etc. He just needs to learn to take the bastids down better.

Could of had the sack record a few years back if he just got the QB down.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2018, 02:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Simple answer, Carlos Dunlap needs to learn to finish the QB off once he gets to him.

He misses far too many sacks by simply not finishing the tackle.

Dunlap might be the most disruptive DE in the NFL, he does it all well, great moves, great bend, great strength, great length, great at using his hands, shedding blocks, great athleticism etc. He just needs to learn to take the bastids down better.

Could of had the sack record a few years back if he just got the QB down.

well he needs to go back and look at that film of the 13.5 sack season cause the numbers dictate 
hes not finishing like he did that year. 
he should be getting 9 sacks a year on a minimum 
i hope dline coach Jacob Burney is seeing what your seeing 
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2018, 10:16 PM)impactplaya Wrote: sacks are more demoralizing to a offense than a tipped pass at the LOS.

I dunno, this was pretty demoralizing if you're a Colts player or fan......

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2018, 10:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Is it considered a sack of he strips the QB?  I think he needs to work on a tomahawk chop to dislodge the ball from opposing QBs.  Those long arms should be able to swat from a distance.  Not trying to say my son is in the same breath with Carlos (not at the table Carlos!) but I always told him when you see the QB start to release one hand from the ball, leap at him and swat above his shoulder.  He did knock a lot of balls out.  

Indeed it does.

He's also been near the top in forced fumbles, since he came into the league, IIRC.

I need to see the stats to confirm that.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 08:50 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: A little off topic, but does it annoy anybody else when Dan Fouts calls him Dunlop?

It annoys me when Fouts announces bengals games period i can’t stand when he opens his mouth
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote