Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Carlos doesn't see 'the plan'
(03-15-2017, 12:08 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Ok, Ok I yield. It is the role of a 28 year old Defensive lineman to know the overall plan of the team.

Apparently, not! You blathered on for another 5 pages. Shows the value of your word. 
(03-15-2017, 09:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Exactly.  The Patriots win every year without letting the players know what the plan is.  So Carlos needs to shut up and play.  That is the way it works with every team in the league.  Dunlap has been lucky enough to ply on a team that has made the playoffs 5 of the 7 years he has been playing for them.  If he thinks all of that happened by accident with no plan by the front office then he is clueless.
Ffs, can I retract my welcome back rep now? 
This place was much better while you were away on vacation, in Banville. Carlos is a grown man and a millionaire. He can say anything that he chooses where his future is concerned. 

From now on I'm just going to refer to the both of you as the Blather brothers! 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 07:30 PM)sonofstat Wrote: - Carlos D may have put his bengals future in doubt - Mike Brown will remember this, he really values loyalty and people towing the line..  

Dalton signed a team-friendly contract and there is a very good chance he spends another season getting pummeled.  Loyalty, thy name is Mike Brown.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 11:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Didn't say he couldn't have an opinion. Just said it's not his role to understand the plan. 
Using <140 characters he said something like -  I am at a loss to figure out what this franchise is doing by allowing SO MANY OF MY TEAMMATES TO LEAVE IN FA. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE THIR PLAN?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 01:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I find it funny that a small handful of people quickly turn on a player when the player questions management. Whose side are we on? Has the management of this team provided reasons to have blind faith? Mike Brown certainly hasn't. Marv is a .500 coach with no playoff wins.

I'd argue that Carlos Dunlap has "done his job" better than any of the people running this franchise. I trust him, just as I trusted Palmer, Dillon, Pickens, Takeo, Chad, Boomer and every other player Mike Brown has pissed off. Open your eyes people. How many players need to get pissed before you realize something is wrong?
Agree here. I am definitely not questioning Dunlap. He has certainly earned the right.
Reply/Quote
You guys are way over analyzing the tweet my God, his teammates was leaving left and right and he didn't like it. It's not like he said something over the top like wtf is this organization doing?? They are idiots. I'm out of here ASAP.
Reply/Quote
Carlos (like the rest of us) has NO idea what our front office & company have planned (if there even is a plan). He's expressing his frustration out loud just like everyone else on this board has. People are reading too much into an unfinished process. The Bengals have never been big spenders in FA and they never will be as long as Mike Brown exists Dead Horse And apparently that goes for retaining our own as well now lol We'll see what happens in the draft I guess, but this Carlos tweet is being blown up over nothing.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals talk to guys about extensions. If they don't agree...they let them hit free agency. The Bengals set a number in stone of what they'll pay and if another team goes over it...they let the player walk and take the comp pick.

Then once all the big contracts are out there and teams spend their cap space...the Bengals start bringing the leftover players in.

That's the way they roll.
Reply/Quote
Part of why the last two off-season have been so disconcerting is it has become evident the front office lied to the fans and players. They falsely claimed they were rolling over money to resign our key players.....then let those very same key players go. They also claimed that the approach is not to use FA but build through the draft and retain their own talent.....then they let those very same own talent walk.

Probably right now every player that did resign is feeling foolish for falling for the con job instead of doing what they should have done and refused any offer and went to legitimate super bowl contenders.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 02:10 PM)bengals67 Wrote: No objective person can defend continuing Marc as the coach or what they have done this year failing to extend or franchise Whit and Z who were the only two above average lineman on an awful line.

Yes they can.

If you really were 100% correct about everything you believe then you would be running an NFL team instaed of posting on amessage board.

You are entitled to your opinion.  You are not entitled to claim that you are infallible and your opinion is a "fact".
Reply/Quote
I saw an interesting tweet the other day. I added 2 players to the top part.

Gone since the wild card debacle vs. PIT: Marvin Jones, Sanu, Whit, Zeitler, Nelson, Peko, Burkhead, Hue Jackson

Still here: Adam Jones, Jeremy Hill, Burfict, and Lewis.

While I don't see an issue with Burfict being on this team, the rest is something to think about.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
The thing is...the Bengals are EXTREMELY predictable...

If you want too much...they let you walk and take the comp pick.

Yet fans and players get disappointed when it happens.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 11:06 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The thing is...the Bengals are EXTREMELY predictable...

It's not about a player wanting too much. It's that Mike Brown comes up with his own value of a player and if that player wants more, he lets them walk. That's not the same as the player making outrageous salary demands, that's our owner/gm assigning a value and refusing to go over. A lot of Mike Brown's player values are not in line with what these guys are actually worth.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 11:06 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The thing is...the Bengals are EXTREMELY predictable...

Rey M says you're wrong  Cool
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 02:51 PM)jj22 Wrote: Players "come back home" because they know they'll never get cut. Even if production slips. Who wouldn't return to an organization that will pay you millions and not demand accountability?

Perhaps you8 should ask Willie anderson, Deltha Oneal, Rudi Johnson, Kyle Cooke, and all the other playersw the Bengals hae releaed while under contract?
Reply/Quote
We can all read whatever we want into Carlos' tweet. My take is not that he expects to know the Bengals front office plan but they have one. The plan the team has should be evident to those interested. Not the details but definitely the direction.

Last year there seemed to be a plan.

They let Andre walk because they had Ced and Jake.

They choose to extend Williams and resign Iloka so they let Reggie leave. You only need two starting safeties.

In my opinion they really tried to resign Marvin Jones but he choose a a better offer. That happens.

Once Marvin left they re-upped Pacman. Probably intending to use the first pick on WR. When the top 4 WRs were taken they went BPA and took WR in round two. Taking a CB allowed them flexability to move on from Dre if they wanted to this year.

They never saw Sanu as a number two and didn't want to pay him the money he got.

In a salary cap league you can't re-sign everyone. Once all their young stars started getting their second contract some tough decisions needed to be made. I loved Reggie but if choosing between him and Williams you can at least understand the logic of going with the younger guy.

Last year there seemed like a plan. People could see it. We really shouldn't be comparing last year to this year. No way they could fit every salary under the cap.

The two big mistakes the front office made early in the year was not extending Whit once it was clear Jake and Ced are not ready. I also thought once DeCastro signed Zeit would follow. He couldn't argue that he should get more and Bengals couldn't argue he should take less. That should have been an easy signing. Once the season is done the players demands only go up. no risk of injury so why not test the market and see who overpays. Whit and Zeit got overpayed. Bengals didn't want to play that game. If your not wiling to overpay in FA then you need to not let the players get there.

I think the Bengals really believed Whit would re-sign. He took a one year 9mil last time. The LA offer was bigger than both probably expected.

My big criticism of the front office is they haven't made any adjustments to the new reality. Once they lost two starters on the o-line they needed to adjust. Not only bring back the guy they let walk the previous year because he struggled but do something that addresses a hole. I don't spect the Bengals to be a big spender but hard to call a team cheap when it give away millions to Mauluage and Mike Johnson. Those two salaries combined solve one of the o-line holes.

If the plan was to compete this year then they need to address some of the holes/question marks and improve the overall talent. It's fair to say the team as it stands is less talented and has more holes than the one that ended the year.
Reply/Quote

You mean the Bengals do exactly what every other team in the league does?

Because I have been wondering whyere all those free agents on the market come from if the Bengals are the only team in the league who does not pay every player as much as he asks for.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 07:30 PM)sonofstat Wrote: - Carlos D may have put his bengals future in doubt - Mike Brown will remember this, he really values loyalty and people towing the line..  

Unless his play drops off a cliff over the next two years, Dunlap will have plenty of interest in his services.  He could very well not care less what Mike Brown values.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 11:29 AM)CanadianBengal Wrote: I don't spect the Bengals to be a big spender but hard to call a team cheap when it give away millions to Mauluage and Mike Johnson. Those two salaries combined solve one of the o-line holes.

Production wise Mike Johnson is a top 30 DE in the league and not overpaid.  If we cut him to pay for an O-lineman then  where does the moeny come from to replace Johnson?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 11:00 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I saw an interesting tweet the other day. I added 2 players to the top part.

Gone since the wild card debacle vs. PIT: Marvin Jones, Sanu, Whit, Zeitler, Nelson, Peko, Burkhead, Hue Jackson

Still here: Adam Jones, Jeremy Hill, Burfict, and Lewis.

While I don't see an issue with Burfict being on this team, the rest is something to think about.
Messed up ain't it? Vance Joseph can be included on the departure list too. 

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 11:29 AM)CanadianBengal Wrote: o
If the plan was to compete this year then they need to address some of the holes/question marks and improve the overall talent. It's fair to say the team as it stands is less talented and has more holes than the one that ended the year.

If that is the case then you don't need to be complaining until after the draft and there are no free agents available on the market.

After the 2010 season our defense lost the following players

Dhani Jones...16 starts
Keith Rivers...13 starts
John Joseph...12 starts
Roy Williams..11 starts
Tank Johnson..7 starts

The defense was re-built and finished #7 in the league in 2011.  And most of the key additions (Nate Clements, Manny Lawson, Thomas Howard) were not added early in free agency.
Reply/Quote