Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Carlos speaks out about Racism and Bengals
(09-03-2020, 04:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't think you really understand that burning the American flag has nothing to do with not liking what is going on

Except it really does.

Since you know what they REALLY want then just tell me.  What are their goals?  Why are they protesting?

Because I really don't see the point in protesting for one thing but really wanting another.  Doesn't make any sense to me.  And I know they are not protesting for no reason.

Se let me in on the secret.  What do they REALLY expect to gain from these protests?
(08-31-2020, 12:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the last 20 years there has been a major shift in acceptance.  MANY minds have been changed.

We have had the first Muslims elected to the US Congress.  We have had multiple members of the LBGT community elected to important positions all across the country.  Twenty years ago a large majority of this country opposed equal protection under the law for homosexuals, but now 63% of Americans favor same sex marriage.  And these are not just people "pretending" to change to avoid being criticized.  Voting booths and national polls are anonymous. 

LOTS of minds are being changed.  And a lot of it has to do with people being made aware that it is not acceptable to discriminate.  The more people speak out about it publicly the more people will be aware that not everyone believes like their close friends and family who were the major influence on their beliefs.  

Is it minds changing or is it that the electorate has changed? People born in the 80s and 90s who won't have been eligible to vote 20 years ago are now voting in the place of those born in the 30s and 40s who have died. 

Remember Joe Burrow, despite his eloquence and leadership on behalf of the Bengals dressing room when speaking out on this matter, has only once had the opportunity to vote in a Presidential election.
I wish everyone could follow the golden rule.

I love all you black, white, brown, yellow, orange, and red Bengal fans.

The only group of people that should be discriminated against are steeler fans.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-03-2020, 09:27 PM)bonesaw Wrote: I wish everyone could follow the golden rule.

Here here, I’d like to buy this man a drink!
(09-03-2020, 09:27 PM)bonesaw Wrote: The only group of people that should be discriminated against are steeler fans.

If I may, I'd like to add some additional groups that should be discriminated against:

-Fans of the show Two Broke Girls
-People that say (while recording) "It was just a prank, bro!"
-People who don't tip waitresses and delivery drivers.
-White people who say things like "What up, my G?"
-People who think Kurt Cobain is a top 10 guitar player of all time.
-Fans of Amy Schumer
-People who install devices to make their car louder (Ex: whistle tips)
-People that go through the drive through to place $50+ orders.
-Mouth breathers.
-Women who overuse the word "literally"
-People that use their cell phones for full conversations while in the grocery store
-People who think that the WNBA players are underpaid
-People who like Seth Meyers
-People who put politcal stickers on their car (both sides).
-People who listen to music on their phones in public (no headphones)
-People who loved GOT season 8
-UK fans that live more than 200 miles from Lexington (didn't grow up there either)
-Yankees fans that aren't from New York, New Jersey or Connecticut
-Beer snobs (People who openly rip on others choice of drink)
-People with Rollie Fingers style mustaches that are under 50
-Bicyclists who wear full Tour de France gear while blocking traffic on roads they shouldn't be on.

I'll stop here way short.  All of these people deserved to be judged, and judged harshy.  The above behavior tells me all I need to know about them.
I was with you until beer snobs. Life is too short to drink bad beer.

I don’t really have a problem with “bandwagon” fans of teams like the Yankees, UK, etc either. As long as you stay with one team, and don’t keep switching allegiances I don’t see a problem with it. When I first got really into hockey I started following the NJ Devils because I liked a few of their players and they were always really good (and their jerseys are badass). I’ve stuck with them through A LOT of dark years though, so I think I’ve earned my fandom despite not being from NJ.

(09-03-2020, 10:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I was with you until beer snobs. Life is too short to drink bad beer.

I was just getting ready to ammend that.

I actually drink a lot of different beer.  There's a place right up the road from me that I've head pretty much every craft brand you can imagine.  I have no problem with drinking good brew. 

(Fwiw, I'm more a dark beer guy. Porters and Stouts are usually my go-to's when I grabbing something to have just a few of.  Founders Breakfast Stout is a fav, I really like Mt. Carmel's Nut Brown Ale is another fav)

I specifically talking about those who talk shit about people who show up with some Miller Lite.  We used to have a dude in my fantasy league that's like this.  He took it way to seriously, and was a complete snob about all things beers.  Not at all a coincidence, he was the same way about music.  Had to listen to all the most unknown hipster bands and would rag on people who still loved Floyd and Zepplin.

That's the type of guy I'm talking about.  Come to think of it, I probably should have just written "Hipster snob".
(09-03-2020, 01:15 AM)Go Cards Wrote: I hate nobody and understand there are problems in this world.

But if forced to digest politics on my only escape from the world for a mere 3 hours, 10 times a year.

Will be saving thousands a year in ticket money and will spend it camping, fishing, and hunting instead.

Chose to sit out this season with an option to return next already per my seats being used for sponsor banners. Will watch and see how they roll before making the call though.
Yet obviously after being season ticket holder for 29 years with front row seats almost on the Bengals bench, I want to continue.

But promise I will not if it is political. Do that the other 6 days a week and have no desire for it to invade my R&R time.

Yet Im all for equality

Why is social equality political? Because politicians talk about it?

As others have mentioned, if you support national anthems at sporting events, fighter jets flying over stadiums, presidents throwing out first pitches, and visits to the White House after you win a championship, then you've never previously had a problem with politics in sports.....

For the record, I have never been into national anthems and the military at sporting events.
(09-03-2020, 10:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I was just getting ready to ammend that.

I actually drink a lot of different beer.  There's a place right up the road from me that I've head pretty much every craft brand you can imagine.  I have no problem with drinking good brew. 

(Fwiw, I'm more a dark beer guy. Porters and Stouts are usually my go-to's when I grabbing something to have just a few of.  Founders Breakfast Stout is a fav, I really like Mt. Carmel's Nut Brown Ale is another fav)

I specifically talking about those who talk shit about people who show up with some Miller Lite.  We used to have a dude in my fantasy league that's like this.  He took it way to seriously, and was a complete snob about all things beers.  Not at all a coincidence, he was the same way about music.  Had to listen to all the most unknown hipster bands and would rag on people who still loved Floyd and Zepplin.

That's the type of guy I'm talking about.  Come to think of it, I probably should have just written "Hipster snob".

I love a good dark beer as well. The one Listermann makes called Nutcase is one of my favorites from any of the local breweries. It’s a peanut butter porter, which you might scoff at at first, but it’s actually delicious.

And obviously to each their own, but it does always kind of surprise me to see people coming out of a place like The Party Source or Jungle Jim’s with a case of Miller or Bud. You’re at a store with a world class beer selection broaden your horizons ffs!

(09-03-2020, 09:50 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If I may, I'd like to add some additional groups that should be discriminated against:

-Fans of the show Two Broke Girls- Does being a fan of Kat Dennings count?
-People that say (while recording) "It was just a prank, bro!"
-People who don't tip waitresses and delivery drivers.
-White people who say things like "What up, my G?"
-People who think Kurt Cobain is a top 10 guitar player of all time.
-Fans of Amy Schumer- 
-People who install devices to make their car louder (Ex: whistle tips)- Does running dual Magaflows on my truck count?
-People that go through the drive through to place $50+ orders.
-Mouth breathers.
-Women who overuse the word "literally"
-People that use their cell phones for full conversations while in the grocery store
-People who think that the WNBA players are underpaid
-People who like Seth Meyers
-People who put politcal stickers on their car (both sides).
-People who listen to music on their phones in public (no headphones)
-People who loved GOT season 8
-UK fans that live more than 200 miles from Lexington (didn't grow up there either)
-Yankees fans that aren't from New York, New Jersey or Connecticut
-Beer snobs (People who openly rip on others choice of drink) My goto is Natty Light
-People with Rollie Fingers style mustaches that are under 50
-Bicyclists who wear full Tour de France gear while blocking traffic on roads they shouldn't be on.

I'll stop here way short.  All of these people deserved to be judged, and judged harshy.  The above behavior tells me all I need to know about them.
I'm literally good on the rest
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-03-2020, 10:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm literally good on the rest

Magaflows! You communist!!    Cool
(09-03-2020, 10:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I was with you until beer snobs. Life is too short to drink bad beer.

I don’t really have a problem with “bandwagon” fans of teams like the Yankees, UK, etc either. As long as you stay with one team, and don’t keep switching allegiances I don’t see a problem with it. When I first got really into hockey I started following the NJ Devils because I liked a few of their players and they were always really good (and their jerseys are badass). I’ve stuck with them through A LOT of dark years though, so I think I’ve earned my fandom despite not being from NJ.

You guys are ignoring large parts of the story of beer.  Let's be very clear--I've known a lot of people(not sure what that says about me since I drink about three beers a year)...I've known a lot of people who are drinking beer with a destination in mind and they can get there just fine with a bargain brew.
A lot of this type of individual, after about a six pack of their chosen swill, might very well tell you life is too long.  And then there is the large group who developed a favorite before beer got so fancy schmancy and have no desire to change.

And it's only okay to root for a team from a place you aren't if the place where you are doesn't have a team of its own.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Just please keep politic and sports separate. Really could be a distraction.
Happy Halloween
(09-03-2020, 11:00 PM)McC Wrote: You guys are ignoring large parts of the story of beer.  Let's be very clear--I've known a lot of people(not sure what that says about me since I drink about three beers a year)...I've known a lot of people who are drinking beer with a destination in mind and they can get there just fine with a bargain brew.
A lot of this type of individual, after about a six pack of their chosen swill, might very well tell you life is too long.  And then there is the large group who developed a favorite before beer got so fancy schancy and have no desire to change.

And it's only okay to root for a team from a place you aren't if the place where you are doesn't have a team of its own.

Where do you draw the line though? Like with hockey Columbus had just gotten the Blue Jackets when I first started following the NHL, but I chose another team as my own. Some on this board seem to think everyone in Ohio should support all Columbus teams, but I’ve never really felt any affinity towards anywhere but Cincinnati as far as “local” teams go.

(09-03-2020, 10:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I love a good dark beer as well. The one Listermann makes called Nutcase is one of my favorites from any of the local breweries. It’s a peanut butter porter, which you might scoff at at first, but it’s actually delicious.

And obviously to each their own, but it does always kind of surprise me to see people coming out of a place like The Party Source or Jungle Jim’s with a case of Miller or Bud. You’re at a store with a world class beer selection broaden your horizons ffs!

I'm a guy always in search of the next great bourbon, but I really don't find many of the craft beers I actually like. I drink Bud Light because I like it.  I drink Yuengling because I like it. I drink Heinekin because I like it. I've tried all the new "In" beers, I just don't really like them. Not a fan of dark beer, and if you have to put a piece of fruit in your beer to drink it, then you're drinking swill and think it's cool. So yeah, I have "those" friends who constantly hack on me when I show up with Bud Light, but I don't care. I have a buddy who always shows up to a party with the original Miller High Life's simply so no one else will drink his beer.
I have no problem whatever with athletes backing certain political causes and people.  They do have the inate visibility most people simply do not have and the money to put the word out. Remember, people such as Lou Al Cinder aka Kareem spoke out years ago and were told to just shut up and dribble. That's a slap in the face to anyone. Mohammed Ali spoke out and even went to jail and gave up his title for his beliefs and that was well before the era of multi million dollar athletes back when players were routinely blackballed for even asking for a raise much less social issues. Now they have a common cause and huge platform that can sway not only team owners, but the media and by extension the general public at large. I hope they take full advantage of this time in history to change the world. Don't forget folks, just recently Kapernick was blackballed and many on this very board pretended that he had no right to speak his mind and accused him of all but treasonous activities. Now many of the same people want to backpeddle and pretend it never happened. Well,  it did and many are still telling them to shut up and dribble.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

(09-04-2020, 08:40 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm a guy always in search of the next great bourbon, but I really don't find many of the craft beers I actually like. I drink Bud Light because I like it.  I drink Yuengling because I like it. I drink Heinekin because I like it. I've tried all the new "In" beers, I just don't really like them. Not a fan of dark beer, and if you have to put a piece of fruit in your beer to drink it, then you're drinking swill and think it's cool. So yeah, I have "those" friends who constantly hack on me when I show up with Bud Light, but I don't care. I have a buddy who ralways shows up to a party with the original Miller High Life's simply so no one else will drink his beer.

Most cheap beer gives me a headache. If I drink a few PBR’s or Miller High Life’s at the Cyclones game on dollar beer night I always regret it. Thankfully even they have craft options now. Worth the extra money to me.

Also, you shouldn’t let your friends hack on you. Especially during a pandemic. Lol

(09-03-2020, 05:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Except it really does.

Since you know what they REALLY want then just tell me.  What are their goals?  Why are they protesting?

Because I really don't see the point in protesting for one thing but really wanting another.  Doesn't make any sense to me.  And I know they are not protesting for no reason.

Se let me in on the secret.  What do they REALLY expect to gain from these protests?

So you think burning the flag is okay...

Gotcha. Cool
(09-03-2020, 09:27 PM)bonesaw Wrote: I wish everyone could follow the golden rule.

Well said Bonesaw, well said.  Rock On
(09-03-2020, 09:45 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Here here, I’d like to buy this man a drink!

Yes sir.Wasted
(09-04-2020, 04:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So you think burning the flag is okay...

Gotcha. Cool

Actually the proper disposal of the flag is by burning.