Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carlos wants to be in Ring of Honor if we get one....
(02-09-2021, 06:45 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This is probably why they haven't done one... no one can agree. I think EE belongs, but most people probably don't remember him,  or a lot of the greats not named Munoz, Anderson or Riley. 

Which falls on the team.

There are a lot of players for the Reds I never saw play, but I know their names and their importance to the Reds history because of the Reds Hall of Fame and the RedsFest and just the way that team celebrates their history and their players.

Too bad Mike Brown can't seem to grasp the concept from his neighbor....

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 05:46 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: yeah but are we talking HoF or bengals ring of Honor???  

If you all want to blame dalton for every playoff loss plenty of other players could have also stepped up in those games

Wins are a team thing...  So are playoff losses

They are separate conversations in my mind, HOF and ROH.  But to me, if you're going to get into the ROH, you've done something remarkable for this team.  JB isn't even a player but deserves to be in the ROH.  Chad Johnson didn't win us playoff games, but he helped make this team relevant and is still passionate, I'd put him in.  My gut if I was in charge would be a lot less people than many would.  Andy would not make my ROH.  Carlos might not, either.  But 'Los wouldn't even be on the table until after he retired and many other former decades were discussed and honored.  AJ would have been a shoe-in if he'd played out his entire career here and really left it all on the field every season.  Some interesting discussion topics, though.  I just wish it was a discussion that mattered right now, and this team would step up.  

The snub to Ken Riley should be their last straw, and the team announces they're starting the effort this year.  They've actually increased their PR game with the social media uptick recently so I could see them doing something like a ROH as a next step.  Since they're putting all this emphasis right now on the legacy and history of the uniform, it's a perfect time to start.  
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 07:12 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Which falls on the team.

There are a lot of players for the Reds I never saw play, but I know their names and their importance to the Reds history because of the Reds Hall of Fame and the RedsFest and just the way that team celebrates their history and their players.

Too bad Mike Brown can't seem to grasp the concept from his neighbor....

Sometimes I wonder if Mike is just being petty, saying "well the Reds are trying to one up me so I won't play along." 

As a fan of both teams I'd love to see them work together to engage fans. I can see the Reds doing that but Mike, not so much.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 07:55 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Sometimes I wonder if Mike is just being petty, saying "well the Reds are trying to one up me so I won't play along." 

As a fan of both teams I'd love to see them work together to engage fans. I can see the Reds doing that but Mike, not so much.

It really is sad to see the difference between the two franchises.

I am also curious why the local reporters who cover the team haven't just tossed this question out directly.

"Mike, why isn't there anything around here like the Reds do and every other NFL team does that is a homage to the great players of the past?"

The Ravens have only been a franchise since 1996 and have all kinds of things for former players, including a statue to the murderer Ray Lewis.

How cool would it be to see the Bengals go the way the Reds have, and put a few statues out front, like Kenny and Ken, and Anthony... I just really wish someone would literally ask Mike Brown directly "Why aren't you doing this?"

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 08:16 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: It really is sad to see the difference between the two franchises.

I am also curious why the local reporters who cover the team haven't just tossed this question out directly.

"Mike, why isn't there anything around here like the Reds do and every other NFL team does that is a homage to the great players of the past?"

The Ravens have only been a franchise since 1996 and have all kinds of things for former players, including a statue to the murderer Ray Lewis.

How cool would it be to see the Bengals go the way the Reds have, and put a few statues out front, like Kenny and Ken, and Anthony... I just really wish someone would literally ask Mike Brown directly "Why aren't you doing this?"

Mike Brown doesn't do a number of optional things.  
Reply/Quote
I don't know if I posted yet but yes Dunlap should be in the ring of honor. Hell that whole starting D-Line from 11-15 should be in. Geno, Peko, MJ, and Dunlap.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2021, 10:31 PM)J24 Wrote: I don't know if I posted yet but yes Dunlap should be in the ring of honor. Hell that whole starting D-Line from 11-15 should be in. Geno, Peko, MJ, and Dunlap.

1. MJ wasn't here in '14
2. MJ shouldn't be on there, nor should Peko and I'm even a Peko fan.

If you want to see a ridiculous RoH, look at the Bills; they have like 500,000 people on there.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2021, 10:48 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. MJ wasn't here in '14

If you want to see a ridiculous RoH, look at the Bills; they have like 500,000 people on there.

Yeah, don’t want one with just anybody in it. Needs to be reserved for special players. Guys that never made a single Pro Bowl, or don’t hold any significant records shouldn’t be included.

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2021, 10:48 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. MJ wasn't here in '14

MJ was the third guy in the Fisher Price unit man.  If you are a part of a group that earned a nickname you belong in the Ring of Honor. Same goes for the Swat unit!

Peko played here forever, is the second best NT in Bengals history, he was apart of 5 top 10 scoring defenses, and he was apart of 6 playoff teams+ 3 division titles. The guy deserves recognition in his part of Bengals history.

You can be more liberal with a Ring of Honor then with an actual HOF.  I have zero problem if it's ridiculously huge. 
J24

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2021, 11:15 PM)J24 Wrote: MJ was the third guy in the Fisher Price unit man.  If you are a part of a group that earned a nickname you belong in the Ring of Honor. Same goes for the Swat unit!

Peko played here forever, is the second best NT in Bengals history, he was apart of 5 top 10 scoring defenses, and he was apart of 6 playoff teams+ 3 division titles. The guy deserves recognition in his part of Bengals history.

You can be more liberal with a Ring of Honor then with an actual HOF.  I have zero problem if it's ridiculously huge. 

Think I vaguely remember the Fisher Price Unit... Geno, Dunlap, and Johnson right? Who the hell was SWAT?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2021, 11:22 PM)jason Wrote: Think I vaguely remember the Fisher Price Unit... Geno, Dunlap, and Johnson right? Who the hell was SWAT?

[Image: DtiB0lXW4AEIs74.jpg]
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2021, 11:15 PM)J24 Wrote: MJ was the third guy in the Fisher Price unit man.  If you are a part of a group that earned a nickname you belong in the Ring of Honor. Same goes for the Swat unit!

Curious who you put ahead of him and right behind him?
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2021, 09:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Curious who you put ahead of him and right behind him?

Krummie  would be ahead of him have no idea who would be  Behind him. Talking nose tackles not including 3Ts.
J24

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2021, 01:20 PM)J24 Wrote: Krummie  would be ahead of him have no idea who would be  Behind him. Talking nose tackles not including 3Ts.

Agreed. Just wondered who your pick for #1 was.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2021, 11:22 PM)jason Wrote: Think I vaguely remember the Fisher Price Unit... Geno, Dunlap, and Johnson right? Who the hell was SWAT?

Eric Thomas, Lewis Billups, Solomon Wilcox and David Fulcher.

Thomas had 7 INTs, Fulcher had 5, Billups had 4, and Wilcox only had 1. This was before the pass defended stat was a thing though and those guys always had their hands in their breaking up passes. I was a kid at the time, but damn they were fun to watch.

Was the 1988 season that earned them that nickname.

Reply/Quote
All time DTs, it would be:

1. Need-Mo' Napkins

2. Tim Krumrie

3. Big Faddy Wilkinunderachiever.

4. Peko

Mighty Tim and Domata were pure team leaders, however. I've never really seen Geno as such, since he seems more of an intimidating totem, which his teammates both fear and rally around. He's the Gary Cooper/Harpo Marx, Defensive Captain, I guess.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 12:17 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Eric Thomas, Lewis Billups, Solomon Wilcox and David Fulcher.

Thomas had 7 INTs, Fulcher had 5, Billups had 4, and Wilcox only had 1. This was before the pass defended stat was a thing though and those guys always had their hands in their breaking up passes. I was a kid at the time, but damn they were fun to watch.

Oh yeah... Definitely remember those guys, although I thought Ray Horton was still starting at the time. I just don't remember their nickname.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 12:17 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Eric Thomas, Lewis Billups, Solomon Wilcox and David Fulcher.

And of course Billips so famously dropped interception #5 in the End zone to win the Super Bowl with seconds left...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 04:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: How deep is the Mike Brown era ring of honor if we only include good players who left on good terms?

Easy...Call it the tiny thread of honor.. OR just do what they've always done and wait until they have yet another horrible season and have ol Hobson write about past Bengals over the years. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote