Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carman has COVID
(08-18-2022, 10:49 PM)phil413 Wrote: Shame for Jackson, hope he recovers quick and comes out motivated even if he starts the season as a sub.

He got his ass kicked up and down the field last year, if that wasn't motivation enough to get better COVID won't make a dent in his drive and hunger.

#TeamVolson
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 06:58 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: the point is the bengals shouldnt rely on a 4th round rookie if they are in win now mode

It's not an ideal situation, but the whole roster has to be looked at.  Kappa, Carman, and Volson aren't getting cut.  Typically, teams want to keep 9 OL on the 53, with 4 T's, 3 G's, and 2 C's.  Bringing in another G means carrying 10 OL and going light at another position.  Going heavy on the OL is bad because OL don't have a lot of ST's value.  Most vet OL on the street at this point are going to wait until TC breaks before signing and most teams aren't going to look until after Week 1 because of salary guarantees.  

The reality is that it's likely going to be Carman, Smith, Hill, or Volson that gets the job no matter what.  Pollack is supposed to evaluate OL prospects.  If out of 4 draft picks the last two drafts, he can't pick one serviceable starter and has to go to Tobin and tell him he needs a starting LG, his credibility is completely gone.  On top of it, he risks drawing the ire of the other position coaches by draining a ton of resources.  I mean, that's 4 draft picks on the OL, plus 4 new free agent starters if that happens.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 10:14 PM)TheFan Wrote: He's been average as a first round pick. I wouldn't really call it a homerun pick. 

He's arguably a Top 10 LT.
That would make it a very solid pick, not just average.

Does Volson have to be a Top 10 OG to be a home run pick, or does he just need to play ok since he's a 4th rounder vs a 1st rounder?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 09:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: He's arguably a Top 10 LT.
That would make it a very solid pick, not just average.

There's more than 32 LTs in the league but even if there were, top 10 LT would still make it a GREAT pick. One would say it's a ... homerun pick.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Not good timing for him. I hope the Duke has Spain's # programmed on speed dial.
Reply/Quote
Okay well then make him earn them first team reps back when hes better... as he hasnt earned them yet
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 09:58 AM)PhilHos Wrote: There's more than 32 LTs in the league but even if there were, top 10 LT would still make it a GREAT pick. One would say it's a ... homerun pick.

Indeed.

And why has Jonah Williams been the only decent OL in the past 5 years or so?
Because he wasn't a project. He was NFL-ready.
He was technically sound, came from a good program, had proven tape, athletic, and was good in both the run and pass.

With guys like Ogbuehi, Fisher, Carman, and many of the others, a lot of it was based on potential and traits.
Ogbuehi and Fisher had great ceilings, but they weren't polished products.
Carman wasn't a polished product either, and he's been shifted from the position he played at for 3 years in college.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 06:58 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: the point is the bengals shouldnt rely on a 4th round rookie if they are in win now mode

and i think most if not all of us agree with that, but this is what we got til further notice
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 10:17 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Carman wasn't a polished product either, and he's been shifted from the position he played at for 3 years in college.

That's why I'm willing to give Carman time. He was asked to switch positions last year and now he's asked to switch sides on the line this year. Dude could still end up great, but I get the apprehension people have with him as he's been given chances and as not shown he's up to snuff, yet.

It'd just be nice to have more than 1 player that WE drafted play well on the OL.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 10:19 AM)PhilHos Wrote: That's why I'm willing to give Carman time. He was asked to switch positions last year and now he's asked to switch sides on the line this year. Dude could still end up great, but I get the apprehension people have with him as he's been given chances and as not shown he's up to snuff, yet.

It'd just be nice to have more than 1 player that WE drafted play well on the OL.

For sure.
It's not time to throw in the towel on Carman, but it's also not smart to put all the eggs into the Volson basket yet.

Let both of them continue development and get a (stopgap) veteran for 1-2 years to cover the last IOL starting spot.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 10:21 AM)ochocincos Wrote: For sure.
It's not time to throw in the towel on Carman, but it's also not smart to put all the eggs into the Volson basket yet.

Let both of them continue development and get a (stopgap) veteran for 1-2 years to cover the last IOL starting spot.

No doubt.

I'm hopeful that if Volson doesn't appear ready after this Sunday's game, that the front office either bring Spains back in or scours the waiver wire for someone young and experienced enough to come in on a prove-it type deal.
Reply/Quote
I put no stock in the fact Volson was a 4th round pick. Geno was a 4th round pick. Sometimes people fall for one reason or another, one of them being they came from a smaller school and were overlooked. What will determine Volson's career will be how much of a mean streak he has against NFL players. Sometimes I just get the feeling Carman is too intrigued with the guys he's playing against, and maybe feels he doesn't belong. (Nothing to say that it is the case, it's just a feeling I get) He has shown he has the power and strength, but does not always use it. Volson may be different, and he's played every line position except Center. I hope he blossoms here. That said, I still think it would be smart to bring back Big Spain.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 10:21 AM)ochocincos Wrote: For sure.

The issue is CARMAN Doesn't even act like he wants to play, the man has ZERO MOTOR, he doesn't even play hard, everything about him from the way he even walks and talks just screams lazy. He has no passion about anything. 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 12:42 PM)740Bengal Wrote: The issue is CARMAN Doesn't even act like he wants to play, the man has ZERO MOTOR, he doesn't even play hard, everything about him from the way he even walks and talks just screams lazy. He has no passion about anything. 

You just see what you want to see.

Jumping around and squealing on the sidelines doesn't make a player block better.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 12:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You just see what you want to see.

Jumping around and squealing on the sidelines doesn't make a player block better.

You thought Ken Zampese was a good OC. 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 12:56 PM)740Bengal Wrote: You thought Ken Zampese was a good OC. 

What does that have to do with anything?

Are you seriously claiming you have never been wrong about anything ever?
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 12:42 PM)740Bengal Wrote: The issue is CARMAN Doesn't even act like he wants to play, the man has ZERO MOTOR, he doesn't even play hard, everything about him from the way he even walks and talks just screams lazy. He has no passion about anything. 

This all sounds like your perception, not actually proven to be the case.
I would expect that if this was actually true, the Bengals would not have made it his position to lose and would have already brought in someone else to replace him.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 01:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What does that have to do with anything?

Are you seriously claiming you have never been wrong about anything ever?

I thought I was wrong once; turned out I was mistaken 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

You can't be this ignorant.
Reply/Quote
No matter who is named starter Carman, Volson, or darkhorse Trey Hill one of the others will be the first guard off the bench. With Prince missing this week too its a shame Carman will miss an opportunity to get some Tackle reps.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote