Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carson Palmer
(02-03-2016, 04:41 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: You're not ********, you know we got screwed.  Tell yourself whatever you have to.  The refs handed you the game, egregiously so, and we took it from you anyway until Hill fumbled and the idiotic but understandable personal foul calls.  The bias was clear.  The refs weren't protecting Bengals players at all so the players had to protect themselves and they boiled over with the back to back personal foul calls at the end.  But when you're playing the refs and your opponent, sometimes you lose your shit I guess.

Gmdino, McCarron was playing better and better the more 1st team reps he got, it was clear who the best team in the AFC was, especially if Dalton could have been back for a possible AFC title game.  The patriots just weren't that good at the end of the year.  Drew the best possible match up they could have when they got KC.  Bengals would have whupped them with McCarron and hoped Dalton was back for Denver or KC, a game KC had a better chance in to the division familiarity.

Really?

[Image: mcarron.jpg]

Looks rather up and down after the first Steelers game.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 04:41 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: You're not ********, you know we got screwed.  Tell yourself whatever you have to.  The refs handed you the game, egregiously so, and we took it from you anyway until Hill fumbled and the idiotic but understandable personal foul calls.  The bias was clear.  The refs weren't protecting Bengals players at all so the players had to protect themselves and they boiled over with the back to back personal foul calls at the end.  But when you're playing the refs and your opponent, sometimes you lose your shit I guess.

Gmdino, McCarron was playing better and better the more 1st team reps he got, it was clear who the best team in the AFC was, especially if Dalton could have been back for a possible AFC title game.  The patriots just weren't that good at the end of the year.  Drew the best possible match up they could have when they got KC.  Bengals would have whupped them with McCarron and hoped Dalton was back for Denver or KC, a game KC had a better chance in to the division familiarity.

I don't play the 'what if' game.  What happened happened, and there's really no way of knowing what would have happened if a few plays were called differently.  

Despite what you're telling yourself, there's absolutely no guarantee the Bengals would have even won the game if the Gio hit had been penalized.  There were too many variables still at play.  You were still down by more than one score at the time, and it would have changed the course of events that led to Ben getting injured.  Heck, who's to say that a Shazier penalty in that moment doesn't lead to both Ben and Brown staying healthy, with the Steelers still winning and going on to the SB themselves?   

But here's the thing:  while I recognize the necessity of the words 'could have' in this scenario, you seem 100% certain that the Bengals would have not only won, but would have had a clear path to the Lombardi.  They may very well have done both, but to be 100% sure of it, as you seem to be, is a delusion and a fantasy.  
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 08:19 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: I don't play the 'what if' game.  What happened happened, and there's really no way of knowing what would have happened if a few plays were called differently.  

Despite what you're telling yourself, there's absolutely no guarantee the Bengals would have even won the game if the Gio hit had been penalized.  There were too many variables still at play.  You were still down by more than one score at the time, and it would have changed the course of events that led to Ben getting injured.  Heck, who's to say that a Shazier penalty in that moment doesn't lead to both Ben and Brown staying healthy, with the Steelers still winning and going on to the SB themselves?   

But here's the thing:  while I recognize the necessity of the words 'could have' in this scenario, you seem 100% certain that the Bengals would have not only won, but would have had a clear path to the Lombardi.  They may very well have done both, but to be 100% sure of it, as you seem to be, is a delusion and a fantasy.  

I'm not a hundred percent.  Of course not.  I do feel strongly he Bengals were legit the best team in the Afc this year, especially with Dalton and even mccaron who improved continuosly the more first team reps he got.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 04:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: Really?

[Image: mcarron.jpg]

Looks rather up and down after the first Steelers game.

Function of low attempts vs. San fran then I'm absolutely grading on a curve vs. A division rival in a playoff game for the fourth start of his career.  What should have been a come from behind q4 game winning rd throw was clutch as hell then wasted by hill.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 03:31 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: I'm not a hundred percent.  Of course not.  I do feel strongly he Bengals were legit the best team in the Afc this year, especially with Dalton and even mccaron who improved continuosly the more first team reps he got.

Fair enough.  This is the first time you've articulated that clearly.  I think we're on the same page now. 

We all feel strongly about our teams, and those feelings probably warp our views a bit - Bengal fans are no less susceptible of that than Steeler fans.  But, as long as you can see that, I think we're done here.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 06:57 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Fair enough.  This is the first time you've articulated that clearly.  I think we're on the same page now. 

We all feel strongly about our teams, and those feelings probably warp our views a bit - Bengal fans are no less susceptible of that than Steeler fans.  But, as long as you can see that, I think we're done here.  ThumbsUp

This is the first team during the current run that I felt was truly a contender for a title and not just an also ran playoff team.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 07:06 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: This is the first team during the current run that I felt was truly a contender for a title and not just an also ran playoff team.

Yeah, well let me tell you from experience - only about one out of every five or so of the teams that you feel great about on paper will actually go the whole way.  That's just reality.  In today's parity driven NFL, there is no such thing as a sure thing.  

I felt great about the Steelers' chances in '92, '94, '95, '97, '01, '02, '04, and '10 in addition to the two they actually won in '05 and '08.  Most of those years ended with them getting tantalizingly close but losing in heartbreaking fashion in the AFCC or the SB.  Trust someone who's followed a near-perennial contender for more than three decades:  having a team that's 'good enough to win it all' is no guarantee that they will.  Even teams that are capable of going all the way actually get there only rarely. 

You guys haven't had many legitimate contenders to root for, so I don't think you understand this yet.  And that's not intended as smack.  It's reality. 
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 12:02 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: Yes, they adjusted with Wade Phillips coaching up an excellent defense.  Best shot the Afc had this year got jobbed by the refs.  Bengals, even with mccaron had Pitt beat.  Bengals would still be playing if not for rotten officiating.  Pats, broncos, Steelers, none of them as good as Cincy this year and the broncos are gonna get stomped if their defense ain't lights out.

I guess the Bronco's defense played lights out, huh?  Rolleyes

I'm happy for Peyton. Now he can ride off into the sunset with his 2nd Lombardi. At least he won't have to take shit from Eli anymore. Don't know if you saw it, but when the tv cameras focused on Peyton's family members celebrating right before the end of the game, everyone was cheering... except for Eli. Don't know what THAT was about! 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 07:04 PM)coltsfan4ever Wrote: I guess the Bronco's defense played lights out, huh?  Rolleyes

I'm happy for Peyton. Now he can ride off into the sunset with his 2nd Lombardi. At least he won't have to take shit from Eli anymore. Don't know if you saw it, but when the tv cameras focused on Peyton's family members celebrating right before the end of the game, everyone was cheering... except for Eli. Don't know what THAT was about! 

Meh, little brother will still have chances to one-up Peyton.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 07:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Meh, little brother will still have chances to one-up Peyton.

Not without Tom Coughlin. Eli's never played with another coach. Don't know how he'll do with another coach.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 07:27 PM)coltsfan4ever Wrote: Not without Tom Coughlin. Eli's never played with another coach. Don't know how he'll do with another coach.

i didn't realize that Coughlin coached at Ole Miss ....
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 07:27 PM)coltsfan4ever Wrote: Not without Tom Coughlin. Eli's never played with another coach. Don't know how he'll do with another coach.

Yeah, look at his brother Peyton.

Btw...in your first sentence you said Eli won't win another Super Bowl without Coughlin. In your last sentence you really weren't sure.
I bet you're difficult to argue with.

Take a stand.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 10:01 AM)Vlad Wrote: Yeah, look at his brother Peyton.

Btw...in your first sentence you said Eli won't win another Super Bowl without Coughlin. In your last sentence you really weren't sure.
I bet you're difficult to argue with.

Take a stand.

He should know better than anyone - he argues with himself all the time.  
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 07:05 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: i didn't realize that Coughlin coached at Ole Miss ....

I meant in the NFL! Geez...  Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 11:50 PM)Coltsfan4ever Wrote: I meant in the NFL! Geez...  Rolleyes

Then how is it you say you don't know if he could succeed with any other coach, when clearly he already has?  It wasn't in the NFL, but under a coach other than Coughlin, he played well enough to become the number one pick in the draft.  Surely that's enough to convince you that Coughlin wasn't the exclusive key to Eli's success ... 
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2016, 09:26 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Then how is it you say you don't know if he could succeed with any other coach, when clearly he already has?  It wasn't in the NFL, but under a coach other than Coughlin, he played well enough to become the number one pick in the draft.  Surely that's enough to convince you that Coughlin wasn't the exclusive key to Eli's success ... 

Let's see how he does with his new NFL coach.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2016, 06:14 AM)coltsfan4ever Wrote: Let's see how he does with his new NFL coach.

Yes, because that's the only variable that will determine his success ... Rolleyes
Reply/Quote