Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Castellanos likely to be free agent
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/all-star-nick-castellanos-likely-to-opt-out-of-deal-with-reds-become-free-agent/ar-AANK0yD?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Not surprised
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yep. Everyone saw that coming.

Reply/Quote
Been said for the last month and a half to 2 months now.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
He'd be foolish not to, and he's a Boras client, so there's no way he's not going to chase money if it's there. The only question is whether or not the Reds make a serious attempt to extend him at a steeper rate. He's basically a legend in Cincy right now, so they'll get destroyed by the fans all winter if he walks without a respectable effort from Krall.

On the other hand, you have a young and potent offensive roster retuning even without him. India, Barrero, Stephenson, Votto, and Winker will likely be formidable again. Can you get a right fielder that can hit for a little less or for less of a commitment? IDK.

Tough decisions loom for this team, but even if he leaves, they're not necessarily doomed.....
Reply/Quote
He had the same opinion this past year and didn't do it. There's every possibility he likes the Reds too and wants to stay.. There's nothing carved in with such articles.. According to blah...means basically nothing. 
At any rate he ain't the only hitter who can hit who may be a free agent and the Reds farm ain't a slouch anymore either.. Stay tuned. 

Too bad Siani can't hit. If he could hit 300 he'd be the next coming of Willie Mays..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I think his big concern with this decision isn't money per year as much as it is security. I wonder if he'd sign back with the Reds if they offered him a 4 year deal (or 2 year extension) at the same or similar AAV as his current contract.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
The Joey Votto Contract into 2025 shackles Reds on adding more giant contracts. Cincinnati is not the New York Yankees of endless deep pockets of money. Just as Cy Young Bauer went to money fat L.A. Hollywood Dodgers, Castellanos in MVP hunt will get huge offers that Cincinnati can't compete with, and really should not try per old manager Trader Jack McKeon. But Everybody LOVES Votto and the Reds sure did pay big for that, Highest Paid Red Ever. The Votto Contract goes 3 or 4 more years.

Cincinnati can not afford Castellanos and Votto, and Votto is Locked in 3 or 4 more years into his 40's. They will end with Joey Votto Day around 2025, and his statue and number retired. The Fans will LOVE IT. I hope so, The Reds sure paid for it. Unlike Bench or Concepcion who Reds got cheap in the old days to be a Red all their careers, Votto did not come cheap.

Cincinnati should never have another long expensive contract like Votto's, but after Votto's contract ends, they will probably make the same mistake. Cincinnati could learn from Tampa on how to do contracts. Tampa is in first beating Yankees and Red Sox with young players. Then those young players move on to teams like The Yankees. Tampa still beats The Yankees and remains in First Place because they had young guys moving up in the Minors. Cincinnati needs to use that blueprint for success, because they can't afford the Yankees blueprint.

Reds do one thing right. They bring in a Scooter Gennett or a Castellanos or Bauer On The Cheap until they are no longer Cheap. More players like this will come there way On The Cheap. Not every year, but here and there.

Lets say Castellanos is not on the Reds right now. Can I field and Outfield. Yes, I can field an outfield and have outfielders on the bench.

The Reds need to figure out what they are going to do with the Suarez and Moose situation. Yes, there is a situation here. These were not good seasons for either of them. Votto is at First. Neither factor into Second or Shortstop. Some teams would be looking to dump both of them and try somebody else at Third. They come at a high price for what they are doing in 2021. Reds might be well off to part ways with both Suarez and The Moose as Castellanos leaves also. This is Modern Day Baseball of High Salaries. It is what it is.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I suspect Castellanos will probably walk as it has always been a business and not a sport. The Reds will get another right fielder. What about Senzel? lol
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2021, 05:54 PM)samhain Wrote: He'd be foolish not to, and he's a Boras client, so there's no way he's not going to chase money if it's there.  The only question is whether or not the Reds make a serious attempt to extend him at a steeper rate.  He's basically a legend in Cincy right now, so they'll get destroyed by the fans all winter if he walks without a respectable effort from Krall.  

On the other hand, you have a young and potent offensive roster retuning even without him.  India, Barrero, Stephenson, Votto, and Winker will likely be formidable again.  Can you get a right fielder that can hit for a little less or for less of a commitment?  IDK.  

Tough decisions loom for this team, but even if he leaves, they're not necessarily doomed.....

He is? Dude hit .225/.298/.486 in 2020 for the Reds. Don't think kids today will grow up telling their children of the great Castellanos era in Cincy.

He's been very good in 2021, but overall for the Reds he has basically been a worse Shin-Soo Choo and I don't recall the Reds being "destroyed" when Choo left to chase the big payday.

The destruction will be when Reds fans realize the Reds are so financially sunk into Suarez and Moose that they can't move on from them, so one will be probably playing RF in 2022 so the other can play 3B.

(08-29-2021, 09:02 PM)kevin Wrote: The Joey Votto Contract into 2025 shackles Reds on adding more giant contracts.

Reds might be well off to part ways with both Suarez and The Moose as Castellanos leaves also.

Get over it. 

2020 wRC+: 114
2021 wRC+: 139

2020 wRC+: 102
2021 wRC+: 145

The first is Votto, the second is Castellanos.

Also, in 2025? What are you talking about? The Votto deal ends after 2023. There's a buyout in 2024 (for $7m) that they will take. Votto will only be around 2 more years most likely.

There's also basically zero ways to "part ways" with Suarez and Moose without just simply eating their entire contracts which the Reds/Bob simply won't do. Suarez still has 3yr/$36m left on his deal, and Moose has 2yr/$38m. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
And he has officially opted out.
Reply/Quote
Can't see a scenario in which he is still a Red, hope somehow it happens but he is headed for a huge payday.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
So Votto at 1B making bank while being surrounded by a bunch of youth. Best case scenario we finish third behind the Brewers and Cardinals?
Reply/Quote
Reds extend a qualifying offer to Castellanos of 1 year 18.4 million. Good chance he rejects it but they did put it out there.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/reds-extend-qualifying-offer-to-nick-castellanos.html
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 07:41 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He is? Dude hit .225/.298/.486 in 2020 for the Reds. Don't think kids today will grow up telling their children of the great Castellanos era in Cincy.

He's been very good in 2021, but overall for the Reds he has basically been a worse Shin-Soo Choo and I don't recall the Reds being "destroyed" when Choo left to chase the big payday.

The destruction will be when Reds fans realize the Reds are so financially sunk into Suarez and Moose that they can't move on from them, so one will be probably playing RF in 2022 so the other can play 3B.

If I'm not mistaken, with the CBA being up there is real talk of the DH coming to the National League for good, which would really help the Reds at this point with the Moose and Suarez jam.

Means you have:

C - Stephenson / TBD
1B - Votto
2B - ROY India
SS - Farmer/ Jose Barrero
3B - Mooose
LF - Winker/Naquin
CF - Friedel/Shogo
RF - Senzel/Aquino
DH - Suarez

Not the worst line-up they've run out there. Biggest issue will still be in the bullpen unless they find a way to keep Givens who looked lights out as a closer after the trade from Colorado.

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2021, 03:05 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, with the CBA being up there is real talk of the DH coming to the National League for good, which would really help the Reds at this point with the Moose and Suarez jam.

Means you have:

C - Stephenson / TBD
1B - Votto
2B - ROY India
SS - Farmer/ Jose Barrero
3B - Mooose
LF - Winker/Naquin
CF - Friedel/Shogo
RF - Senzel/Aquino
DH - Suarez

Not the worst line-up they've run out there. Biggest issue will still be in the bullpen unless they find a way to keep Givens who looked lights out as a closer after the trade from Colorado.

I think India and Stephenson will be legit. 

I love Winker's bat, but the guy needs to stay healthy and I am not sure he can so you can really only expect 100-ish games out of him. 

I really hope Votto keeps up his changes from 2021. Don't ever expect him to be Prime Votto anymore, but 2021 Votto is a perfectly acceptable middle of the lineup contributor. The DH if it comes to the NL will actually help giving Votto days off from fielding, so they can put Stephenson at 1st to give him days off from catching while keeping his bat in the lineup. Then on those days either Suarez or Moose will just be on the bench. 10-20 of those throughout the season will help keep both Votto and Stephenson fresh.

Naquin had a good March and a good September, but was absolutely brutal the other 4 months of the season. I think his ceiling is just a 5th outfielder, and he'll be 31 in 2022.

Farmer I think is best as a utility bench player. He would be excellent as a backup, but is subpar as a starter. That was also probably his peak, as he'll also be 31 in 2022.

Barrero has the tools, but really needs to show more. He's been pretty brutal in the majors so far.

Senzel I have just fully given up on. When he's healthy he's a bad bat, and he's never healthy.

Shogo was a letdown, but he was also pretty much never given a chance.

Aquino can hit some bombs, but I think he's also a PH at best, an even then an iffy one since he's an interstate hitter.

Friedl is intriguing because it seems like he put some things together in 2021 both in the minors and then in the majors. He needs to be looked at further but I don't know if I would count on him yet.

- - - - - - - -

That's a 4th place offense, combined with a terrible bullpen and a worsening starting group... all I can say is thank God the Pirates are there to keep the Reds out of 5th. Sell the team Bob.

Reply/Quote
I think Castellanos is headed for the Cubs. Imagine the home runs he could hit there. I think he was once a Cub already.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 01:42 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I think Castellanos is headed for the Cubs. Imagine the home runs he could hit there. I think he was once a Cub already.

Don't ever rule out The Yankees who have the most money to spend every year.  The expect World Series often, and Castellanos with Judge and others would be one tough batting order.

Also Dodgers, Red Sox and Disney owned Angels can go deep on money.  

Many teams will offer The Big Bucks, so he can pick who has World Series Chances.  Castellanos wants to WIN, and wants a World Series Ring.  You can tell by his short interviews after games.  He is not into pies in the face, or hot foots, or that stupid nonsense.  He is like Johnny Bench and other Big Red Machine who did not go in for the bubble gum or shaving cream in the hair jokes.  Castellanos will go to a No Nonsense Team that wants to Win The World Series, and he will still get THE BIG BUCKS. 

Do NOT rule out The Yankees.  If Castellanos goes to Yankees, they could be getting yet another World Series Win in their long history of World Series Wins.  

He will go to a team where he can Win the World Series in 2022.   The Cubs are not high on that list.  

I would put Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox high on the list.   The Angels never win, so that might rule them out. 

He will NOT go to a team that every day does the shaving cream pies in the face nonsense as The Reds do. He will go to a more Professional Team focused on Winning the World Series, not a team acting like they are still 12 years old. Castellanos is a no nonsense guy who really never went in for the Reds shaving cream pies in the face on every single TV interview. Castellanos was never into that Cincinnati Ohio / Kentucky Kids Stuff.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 10:35 AM)kevin Wrote: Don't ever rule out The Yankees who have the most money to spend every year.  The expect World Series often, and Castellanos with Judge and others would be one tough batting order.

Also Dodgers, Red Sox and Disney owned Angels can go deep on money.  

Many teams will offer The Big Bucks, so he can pick who has World Series Chances.  Castellanos wants to WIN, and wants a World Series Ring.  You can tell by his short interviews after games.  He is not into pies in the face, or hot foots, or that stupid nonsense.  He is like Johnny Bench and other Big Red Machine who did not go in for the bubble gum or shaving cream in the hair jokes.  Castellanos will go to a No Nonsense Team that wants to Win The World Series, and he will still get THE BIG BUCKS. 

Do NOT rule out The Yankees.  If Castellanos goes to Yankees, they could be getting yet another World Series Win in their long history of World Series Wins.  

He will go to a team where he can Win the World Series in 2022.   The Cubs are not high on that list.  

I would put Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox high on the list.   The Angels never win, so that might rule them out. 

He will NOT go to a team that every day does the shaving cream pies in the face nonsense as The Reds do.  He will go to a more Professional Team focused on Winning the World Series, not a team acting like they are still 12 years old.  Castellanos is a no nonsense guy who really never went in for the Reds shaving cream pies in the face on every single TV interview.  Castellanos was never into that Cincinnati Ohio / Kentucky Kids Stuff.

Rolleyes

[Image: 8a040c000f147c6a496287b0a666c0b4.jpg]

Who is that on the right holding the bucket? Seems familiar, but it can't be him as he's smiling and doing some interview shenanegans. I'm pretty sure he's a no-nonsense guy who was never into kids stuff.

Rolleyes

He will clearly be happier with the Yankees, who don't do any of that kid stuff......

[Image: 0b849aee74985388fc553d21f10f655e.jpg]
[Image: johnny-damon-of-the-new-york-yankees-loo...?s=612x612]
[Image: nick-swisher-of-the-new-york-yankees-cel...?s=612x612]
[Image: usa_today_10312543.0.jpg]
[Image: 072514_nyy_jeter_face_site_gn6gag0t.gif]
[Image: 2014-08-24.02.Meredith%2BMarakovits.Brian%2BMcCann.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Oh I agree Kevin, he wants to win. Thats why he’s leaving Cincinnati. But saying interview and clubhouse shenanigans are part of his reasoning is beyond silly. These guys form close knit bonds and clown around with each other on every MLB team. No, Casty is leaving because we’re in constant rebuild mode. Cutting expenses. Fielding knothole caliber bullpens. Lazy ownership. It doesn’t take a crystal ball to see where this team is headed for the foreseeable future and if I was in his shoes, I’d get out while I could as well!
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 03:02 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Oh I agree Kevin, he wants to win. Thats why he’s leaving Cincinnati. But saying interview and clubhouse shenanigans are part of his reasoning is beyond silly. These guys form close knit bonds and clown around with each other on every MLB team. No, Casty is leaving because we’re in constant rebuild mode. Cutting expenses. Fielding knothole caliber bullpens. Lazy ownership. It doesn’t take a crystal ball to see where this team is headed for the foreseeable future and if I was in his shoes, I’d get out while I could as well!

I really hope with the CBA expiring that the majority of the owners reufse to move off the need for a salary cap in baseball.

It is the only major sport without one, and it is the only way that the constant rebuild mode in Cincinnati will stop.

Reply/Quote