Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Cedric Ogbuehi
(12-16-2018, 11:30 PM)samhain Wrote: I would.  It caused the departure of one of the team's best players from both a talent and intangible standpoint.  After that, the line was in a death spiral.  This o-line hasn't been able to protect anyone since 2016.  

People were worried as hell about replacing Jones and Sanu after they left, but the skill position groups are well-stocked with capable players right now.  Unfortunately, the o-line still wanders in the wilderness.  The team is stuck starting the Alex Redmonds and Bobby Harts of the league.  That's not a place you plan on going, it's where you wind up when your plan goes horribly wrong.

Past those two busts at tackle, you have Shaw and Smith who are no longer on the team and then PJ Dawson who many fans liked, but turned out to be another sunk cost.  

Essentially we got 2 backup TEs out of that draft.  Whooptee shit.  

I want to add to what you said, which I agree, that the 2014 draft was overall abysmal as well. That's back-to-back drafts in which we got a nickle cb and two backup tight ends who are the only ones that contribute to the team today. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 11:37 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I want to add to what you said, which I agree, that the 2014 draft was overall abysmal as well. That's back-to-back drafts in which we got a nickle cb and two backup tight ends who are the only ones that contribute to the team today. 

Yep.  It's a big reason why we need 3 or 4 o-linemen, 3 linebackers, a d-tackle or 2 and several others.  That stuff catches up with a team.  
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 12:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This would be a really fun time to go back and revisit the 2015 draft threads.  From what I remember, about half the boards were like "WTF?" on the selection, and a lesser contingency was like "Just wait til he heals up, he's going to be great!".  LOL

I remember hearing the Bengals had Ogbuehi and Fisher as their top two options in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 11:43 PM)samhain Wrote: Yep.  It's a big reason why we need 3 or 4 o-linemen, 3 linebackers, a d-tackle or 2 and several others.  That stuff catches up with a team.  

Not to mention coaches and coordinators that know what to do with them. Every year it's deja vu all over again .... 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 11:24 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I just found it ironic that Ogbuehi is looking forward to second chances in a new environment, when in reality he should have just been counting his blessings that he's made a few million dollars more than he likely should have.

Right? Ogbuehi is counting as like $3m against the cap this year and is a healthy scratch pretty much for the entirety of it. They could have saved $1.3m in cap space by cutting him, but it's not like they would have spent it on actually improving this team. Probably would have just given it to Rey Maualuga or called up Ryan Whalen.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 12:07 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Right? Ogbuehi is counting as like $3m against the cap this year and is a healthy scratch pretty much for the entirety of it. They could have saved $1.3m in cap space by cutting him, but it's not like they would have spent it on actually improving this team. Probably would have just given it to Rey Maualuga or called up Ryan Whalen.

Hell, they actually had to sign a street free agent (Andre Smith) in order to have a guy on the team that would prevent them from having to play him if a tackle went down.  That speaks volumes about how bad a player is.  He plays for a team that starts Hardy mother trucking Nickerson on a regular basis and is too shitty to be trusted with a backup job.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 11:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I remember hearing the Bengals had Ogbuehi and Fisher as their top two options in the draft.

There was really a chance that the Bengals were going to take Fisher with their 1st pick.
Reply/Quote
They drafted Ced who had a major knee issue and was going to have to redshirt the 1st year. I don't know if any other NFL team would spend a 1st Round pick on a guy like that.
Reply/Quote
Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher were outstanding in college. Now I wonder what might have happened?
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 12:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I didn't closely follow the line prospects leading up to that draft, but I remember Zerker/Redlegs calling Og "pillow hands" (and he knew his stuff on linemen) so I was less than thrilled. Count me among those who were also super pissed we took 2 straight tackles. The fact that they both busted hard only makes it worse in hindsight.

I believe a lot of sites had him as a 2nd-3rd rounder. I remember Lap mentioned him right before the draft and made everyone realize we were high on him. Then on draft night, Lap predicted him as our first round pick, and I realized we were screwed.

(12-16-2018, 11:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I remember hearing the Bengals had Ogbuehi and Fisher as their top two options in the draft.

Indeed. It's been mentioned multiple times that we were going to take Fisher of Ced wasn't there.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 01:58 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I believe a lot of sites had him as a 2nd-3rd rounder. I remember Lap mentioned him right before the draft and made everyone realize we were high on him. Then on draft night, Lap predicted him as our first round pick, and I realized we were screwed.

Indeed. It's been mentioned multiple times that we were going to take Fisher of Ced wasn't there.

I was leery of both players.  Fisher, because of the abuse he took at the hands of the Ohio State defense in the 2015 title game.  Ogbuehi, b/c of his injury and his slight-looking build for an o-lineman.  There was a lot of hype coming out of A&M for linemen at the time, but the majority of those guys were shitbags in the NFL.  Matthews is decent, I suppose, but Joeckel was a bust of epic proportions.  Ogbuehi was the worst of the group, obviously.

Neither of these guys was any semblance of a Cincinnati Bengals offensive tackle.  Think about it.  We always drafted big, heavy dudes with good feet and an ability to run block.  Suddenly in 2015, they picked these lightweight basketball player looking dudes and things went sideways.  It was a shit idea and still is.  
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 01:11 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher were outstanding in college. Now I wonder what might have happened?

Not really. Ogbuehi blocked for Manzel, who was flushed out of the pocket all the time and improvised constantly. You can't do that in the NFL, you'll just get eaten up, and Ogbuehi was.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 11:45 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I really doubt he gets a second chance somewhere else. He is a bust because he just stinks.

Harley could you please send me your address for a dry cleaning bill? Making me spit my coffee out  on my shirt from laughing at that picture of yours! Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

That my friend is classic!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 01:10 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They drafted Ced who had a major knee issue and was going to have to redshirt the 1st year. I don't know if any other NFL team would spend a 1st Round pick on a guy like that.

You mean like they did when they drafted Munoz who had three knee surgeries. He went on to play eleven years while only missing three games. The draft is a crap shoot. Bad thing is the Bengals have been bad the last three of the last four years. We keep hearing that Marvin has wrested more power from the FO, just wondering if this coincides with the lousy drafts?
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 01:11 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher were outstanding in college. Now I wonder what might have happened?

Wrong. Ogbuehi gave up 8 sacks as a left tackle his senior year then they moved him to right tackle because he was shitty. I’ve if the Bengaks worst ever draft picks.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 11:39 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Wrong. Ogbuehi gave up 8 sacks as a left tackle his senior year then they moved him to right tackle because he was shitty. I’ve if the Bengaks worst ever draft picks.

And this is one of the worst sentences ever. Lol

What’s a Bengak?

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 10:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is looking forward to moving on from the Bengals..  

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/15/cedric-ogbuehi-looking-forward-to-restarting-without-bengals/?fbclid=IwAR1dx61CH95L0ZW6N93ac94HW_FHYpZMc3oq7DeZCvHV7Svhz_Y1qIrGwow

Some might say that the feeling is mutual.   Hilarious

Some?  How about EVERYONE.

As for the puke in question......what makes him think anyone is going to give him a shot?  He's shown he sucks.....and it can't all be pinned on Piano Paul....because he still SUCKS.  Not only that, he's shown very little heart.  No heart, no talent, long odds.  Talk about a gamble if someone signs that turd.  I can't put this one on the coaching staff, outside of their moronic decision to draft him, he just isn't NFL material.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 11:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He should be bagging groceries.

Are you kidding, Now why would Kroger's want to pay him to just stand there and let the other clerks sack the groceries?????
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 12:59 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Are you kidding, Now why would Kroger's want to pay him to just stand there and let the other clerks sack the groceries?????

Well, he’s great at helping people get through a line!

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 02:07 AM)samhain Wrote: I was leery of both players.  Fisher, because of the abuse he took at the hands of the Ohio State defense in the 2015 title game.  Ogbuehi, b/c of his injury and his slight-looking build for an o-lineman.  There was a lot of hype coming out of A&M for linemen at the time, but the majority of those guys were shitbags in the NFL.  Matthews is decent, I suppose, but Joeckel was a bust of epic proportions.  Ogbuehi was the worst of the group, obviously.

Neither of these guys was any semblance of a Cincinnati Bengals offensive tackle.  Think about it.  We always drafted big, heavy dudes with good feet and an ability to run block.  Suddenly in 2015, they picked these lightweight basketball player looking dudes and things went sideways.  It was a shit idea and still is.  

Not only that, but when BOTH of the players you have rated so high land in your lap.....most people with any semblance of common sense would back up and punt on Fisher.  I mean....the old adage is always true:  If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.  Did they honestly believe after the decades of trainwrecks, that they all of the sudden got lucky? Mellow 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote