Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chad Johnson - The Dark Side Of Football
(05-16-2021, 11:57 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Chad played 3 years in JC and only got to play at Oregon St. because another WR lost their scholarship at the last minute. The coach instructed TJ to help Chad get up to speed.

So unless AJ didn't need coaching to help him succeed, you are not reading it correctly. 

Maybe, but Chad also couldn't grasp the NE playbook.  Sounded like from Carson's gruffs Chad free lanced a lot here.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 03:28 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Maybe, but Chad also couldn't grasp the NE playbook.  Sounded like from Carson's gruffs Chad free lanced a lot here.

Chad definitely lost his focus towards the end. Fame was his undoing imo.  His last go in Miami was a shame.
Reply/Quote
Would love to watch this but not viewable in UAE.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 11:03 AM)Tony Wrote: Let me know what you think asap!. I love Chad even more now if that's even possible....

cJ is the best reciever in Bengals history. Go on with that AJ bs....

Maybe best WR.. i take Curtis but overall best role model during playing career.. nope
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 04:26 PM)NativeTheory Wrote: Would love to watch this but not viewable in UAE.

I don't know if this will work  but here's a link to it directly from Vice's website.  They might not have the same location restrictions as Youtube.

https://www.vicetv.com/en_us/video/wide-receiver-divas/6078b70a4652660235785f01?fbclid=488&playlist=57a204a28cb727dec795136b

Crossing my fingers for you.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 03:03 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: AJ has no 5 year stretch in his career that can compare with Chad. During a 5 year stretch, Chad's lowest ranking in yardage was 6th. He led the AFC in receiving yards 3 consecutive years.

Also, not saying you, people talk about how poor Dalton was and how his numbers were inflated by the league being more pass happy. Obviously that would also benefit AJ.

Chad was without a doubt a top 3 WR in his prime. AJ was a top 10, maybe top 5. Again, not knocking AJ at all. He's an all-time great Bengal. Chad was definitely better though. 

You didn’t say me but I actually liked Dalton and spent plenty of time defending him on here so I’m not bashing him, but even I admit that Carson in his prime was better than Dalton could ever be.

As far as the era playing a difference, Carson averaged 234 yards/gm in Cincy. Dalton averaged 237 yards/gm so there was not a noticeable difference when comparing QB’s/yds. Yes the eras were different but I think QB skill probably cancels out any benefit from that. Chad did play more with other QB’s than AJ but his great years were with mostly with Carson. Defenses may have been better overall but AJ probably faced more players patrolling the secondary than Chad. When I think of D in Chad’s era I think bigger and more physical but not necessarily better/more athletic in the back end (there were definitely some good ones though). The D definitely got away with a lot more contact back then I will admit. I remember countless PI calls AJ drew which don’t count in his stats and many of them would have been huge deep catches if he weren’t interfered with. Don’t remember as many for Chad but that was a long time ago so maybe he did draw a bunch too.

Somebody mentioned forcing AJ the ball but I think if someone checked the targets/pass attempts for each WR you may be surprised. I don’t have the time/inclination to check each year but in 2004 Chad had his career high 170 targets on 536 Bengals pass attempts. AJ’s career high targets was 178 in 2013 on 587 pass attempts so target % slightly higher for Chad.

Like I said, I’d lean AJ but it’s close. May just be leaning towards him for his size but that’s worth considering. Chad was definitely more available/healthy which is also worth noting. Chad ran better routes and had better feet on the sideline. AJ better deep and jump balls, and still good tip toe on the sidelines. AJ less of a distraction but less entertaining. Chad will definitely be a better Bengal post retirement than AJ not that it matters in this discussion. Chad also had a tendency to hold the ball lose and get stripped from behind, at least later in his career that bothered me. AJ did get shut down by some of the better CB’s he faced for quite a while but Chad had his stinkers too. Both are great. I just cannot agree with anyone saying there is a clear better WR. It’s 1A/1B in my book. I don’t care about the order
Reply/Quote
I only watched part of it, then got distracted by another video showing up where Chad says he's been broke since 1978. He's not, he's comparing himself to other rich people, and admits he's well off, but it is kind of sad to watch. He talks about how he has nothing to spend his money on basically because he's a loner, doesn't have an entourage (which is a great thing) doesn't drink or enjoy the same things other athletes do so he doesn't hang out with them. All his jewelry is fake because "why buy the real thing when you actually have the money to do it" He doesn't seem like a happy man. Hopefully being back around the Bengals as he has is good for him.
Reply/Quote
The title of the show tries to make it more scandalous than it truly is, maybe this will be the case with the Ray Lewis murder story or something like that however for the most part Chad was/is a pretty darn good stand up guy who stays out of trouble.

The Dark Side of wrestling show they do is pretty good, with def a lot more crazy, messed up stories check that out if you never have.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I watched like the first 10 minutes the other day and had to go to work so I recorded the rest. Gonna finish watching it this evening.
Reply/Quote
That was a pretty good watch on Chad.

Too bad Isaac Curtis came through when running the football was the priority. Isaac Curtis had the NFL change some rules if I'm not mistaken. Isaac Curtis is my chosen Bengals #1 receiver. Another Bengal who for whatever reason is not in the HOF!

1. Isaac Curtis
2. Chad Johnson
3. A.J. Green
4. Chris Collinsworth
5. Carl Pickens
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 09:34 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: You didn’t say me but I actually liked Dalton and spent plenty of time defending him on here so I’m not bashing him, but even I admit that Carson in his prime was better than Dalton could ever be.

As far as the era playing a difference, Carson averaged 234 yards/gm in Cincy. Dalton averaged 237 yards/gm so there was not a noticeable difference when comparing QB’s/yds. Yes the eras were different but I think QB skill probably cancels out any benefit from that. Chad did play more with other QB’s than AJ but his great years were with mostly with Carson. Defenses may have been better overall but AJ probably faced more players patrolling the secondary than Chad. When I think of D in Chad’s era I think bigger and more physical but not necessarily better/more athletic in the back end (there were definitely some good ones though). The D definitely got away with a lot more contact back then I will admit. I remember countless PI calls AJ drew which don’t count in his stats and many of them would have been huge deep catches if he weren’t interfered with. Don’t remember as many for Chad but that was a long time ago so maybe he did draw a bunch too.

Somebody mentioned forcing AJ the ball but I think if someone checked the targets/pass attempts for each WR you may be surprised. I don’t have the time/inclination to check each year but in 2004 Chad had his career high 170 targets on 536 Bengals pass attempts. AJ’s career high targets was 178 in 2013 on 587 pass attempts so target % slightly higher for Chad.

Like I said, I’d lean AJ but it’s close. May just be leaning towards him for his size but that’s worth considering. Chad was definitely more available/healthy which is also worth noting. Chad ran better routes and had better feet on the sideline. AJ better deep and jump balls, and still good tip toe on the sidelines. AJ less of a distraction but less entertaining. Chad will definitely be a better Bengal post retirement than AJ not that it matters in this discussion. Chad also had a tendency to hold the ball lose and get stripped from behind, at least later in his career that bothered me. AJ did get shut down by some of the better CB’s he faced for quite a while but Chad had his stinkers too. Both are great. I just cannot agree with anyone saying there is a clear better WR. It’s 1A/1B in my book. I don’t care about the order

You make great points and I'm really not trying to knock AJ. I think AJ was great. If I could only choose 1, it's Chad every time. That doesn't mean I think AJ was a bum or anything. Could you imagine having both play together? That would be insanity.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 09:32 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: You make great points and I'm really not trying to knock AJ. I think AJ was great. If I could only choose 1, it's Chad every time. That doesn't mean I think AJ was a bum or anything. Could you imagine having both play together? That would be insanity.

We could have had it too   With palmer or Dalton...
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 05:43 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I don't know if this will work  but here's a link to it directly from Vice's website.  They might not have the same location restrictions as Youtube.

https://www.vicetv.com/en_us/video/wide-receiver-divas/6078b70a4652660235785f01?fbclid=488&playlist=57a204a28cb727dec795136b

Crossing my fingers for you.

Thanks dude !
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 12:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Watched the show and it was good. Would have been great if they had cut out all the Jamele Hill parts

She is a complete Racist. I can't stand that *****...
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 01:18 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This was probably one of the best things I've watched recently.  Loved it.

It was great they had Marvin and TJ on there.  Believe it or not, I was actually really excited when Marvin first popped up.

The only thing that could have made this better (except for making it longer) was if they could have gotten Palmer on it.  I also would have loved to hear TO's thoughts.  With the other receivers featured (Plaxico, Braylon Edwards) I think it would have been cool to see what TO had to say about Chad.

I wanted them to go into Palmers injury too ,but I loved the whole thing too.. Marvin was 100% right when he said how Chad would be remembered at the end... Chad might have been the most athleticly gifted WRs ever .. He had to be to make up for the lack of smarts with he playbook, and boy did he...
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 04:26 PM)NativeTheory Wrote: Would love to watch this but not viewable in UAE.

Use a VPN bro!
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 12:32 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I agree, AJ had an opportunity to surpass Chad and just faded away into oblivion.

Why?  Because AJ got hurt?  It's obvious he hasn't been the same since the injury.

You can make an argument for Chad, AJ or Curtis as the best WR in Bengals history.  If Pickens would have lasted a few more seasons, he would be right there as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 09:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I only watched part of it, then got distracted by another video showing up where Chad says he's been broke since 1978. He's not, he's comparing himself to other rich people, and admits he's well off, but it is kind of sad to watch. He talks about how he has nothing to spend his money on basically because he's a loner, doesn't have an entourage (which is a great thing) doesn't drink or enjoy the same things other athletes do so he doesn't hang out with them. All his jewelry is fake because "why buy the real thing when you actually have the money to do it" He doesn't seem like a happy man. Hopefully being back around the Bengals as he has is good for him.

Yeah... I dunno if you made it far enough into this video, but Marvin talks about Chad always being at the stadium. Football was all he had.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 05:06 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Why?  Because AJ got hurt?  It's obvious he hasn't been the same since the injury.

You can make an argument for Chad, AJ or Curtis as the best WR in Bengals history.  If Pickens would have lasted a few more seasons, he would be right there as well.

I agree with this 100% but chads my favorite.. Eddie Brown was actually my 1st favorite Bengal WR as a kid..
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 06:36 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah... I dunno if you made it far enough into this video, but Marvin talks about Chad always being at the stadium. Football was all he had.

Loved that part. All his antics made sense after watching this...
Reply/Quote