Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chad issues a challenge
(04-27-2020, 11:34 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Hopefully Mr. Look At Me won’t do this crap all year. It gets old quick like.

He always does it in a light hearted and pro-Bengal way.  I think he's an asset to the franchise.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Love Chad. And I feel bad I liked and appreciated Carson more back then. Wow, was I wrong.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 11:34 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Hopefully Mr. Look At Me won’t do this crap all year. It gets old quick like.

To me it is totally differeent now that he is not on the team.  It is not constantly right in your face.

Chad lost his way after ther '07 season and his play declined dramatically after that.  But there was no big blow up when he left.  The '10 season was probably the most disappointing season in Bengal history, but there was plenty of blame to go around.

That was a decade ago.  When I see Chad now it is like seeing an old girlfriend from many years ago.  The breakup may not have been pleasant, but (except for a couple of extreme cases) I usually think back on the good times instead of the bad part at the end.  

Chad is not only one of the best players in team history, he is by far the biggest personality.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 07:57 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Finally if Chad is so loyal Bengals.. why now ?? why in the News so much more ??? what about when we were making the 5 year run to playoffs ???  I circle back around to more about ME than about TEAM.. sorry i hijacked this post.. i will go into the shadow now...

Chad's been around the entire time. We are seeing him more now because he is excited, just l like every other Bengal fan, that things are heading in a positive direction. FFS, he's a fan. It's nice to have ex players still be fans of the team and be around. I don't see anyone hacking on Munoz or Willie for still being around. I really disliked all the Ocho crap, and the HOF jacket-CPR the football crap, but that all offsets with the whole sending the opposing backfield Pepto Bismal before the game stuff. There's a reason Chad could trash talk other teams on the field and do it without them getting upset..... it's because they knew it was all good hearted and he was just having fun.
Reply/Quote
My two cents on Chad (not that anyone asked): He made me and a lot of people laugh. The proposal was hilarious. The River Dance was hilarious. The Tiger Woods...well, you get the point. I remember when the press was around his locker (as usual, I mean, when you need a sound byte) and he said to Al Harris (or GB): "Brother Harris: That bad news, is you have to cover me....The GOOD news is.....you can save 15% on your car insurance by switching to Geico". More Hilarious. Did

As far as the "me first" mentality that people saw as a potential distraction or that he wasn't a team-guy: I remember during the season with "the list" and "who can cover 85?", I mentioned on Lance McAlister's afternoon drive show that if every player put himself out there with that accountability of beating his so-called opposite number, the Bengals would be in the Super Bowl.

Lance, of course, being his old-school blue collar self argued that Chad was all about self-promotion. I asked him what was wrong with that, when every other word coming out of his mouth was either "1-800 GOT JUNK" or "The blog! The blog The blog!". He said he wasn't in a team sport and I argued that each player was on an individual contract. Chad should be able to do whatever he wanted to promote his image.

Look at Deion Sanders. That guy was the epitome of self-promotion, but no one questioned his desire to win, right? Maybe his desire to tackle a bit. To which he had a funny line: "if the guy gets to me a lot of people failed" (paraphrasing). But Deion knew his brand was worth a lot of money.

A good friend that lives in NKY and sat in our row for many years at the games was in Koch's sporting goods downtown in Cincy and was one of about 5 women in the store. Chad walks in and calls them all over. Michelle was the only one who knew who he was right away. Chad tells them all to go and get $200 of Bengal's merchandise for their kids and he was going to pay for it. He did, and no one ever heard about it on the news or anything. That was the kind of thing Chad did all the time.

My ex couldn't care less about the Bengals or knew any of the players, really, and didn't want to learn. But she knew, and loved, Chad. He made her laugh and made her want to watch the game to see what he might do next. That about sums him up for me. Oh, and he was one of the absolute best in the league, not top 10, but top 2-3 for a period of about 5 years. He was unstoppable.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
When you talk about "changing a losing culture" there is no bigger game in Bengal history than week 11 of '03 when the 4-5 Bengals beat the 9-0 Chiefs. Not only was it the first time in THIRTEEN YEARS that the Bengals were .500 that late in the season, but it moved us into a tie for FIRST PLACE in the AFC Central. The freakin' BUNGLES were in a playoff race!!!

Now the media would have considered that a big win no matter what, but A LOT of them had mocked Chad's guarantee. It was the greatest feeling in the world watching all those bastards eat their cake.

PDub won that game for us, but Chad's guarantee made the win ten times sweeter.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 12:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When you talk about "changing a losing culture" there is no bigger game in Bengal history than week 11 of '03 when the 4-5 Bengals beat the 9-0 Chiefs.  Not only was it the first time in THIRTEEN YEARS that the Bengals were .500 that late in the season, but it moved us into a tie for FIRST PLACE in the AFC Central.  The freakin' BUNGLES were in a playoff race!!!

Now the media would have considered that a big win no matter what, but A LOT of them had mocked Chad's guarantee.  It was the greatest feeling in the world watching all those bastards eat their cake.

I have that game recorded and I have Tony Gonzalez's reaction about how he wanted to shut Chad up but that the Bengals were the better team.  One of the loudest games I've ever been to.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 12:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When you talk about "changing a losing culture" there is no bigger game in Bengal history than week 11 of '03 when the 4-5 Bengals beat the 9-0 Chiefs.  Not only was it the first time in THIRTEEN YEARS that the Bengals were .500 that late in the season, but it moved us into a tie for FIRST PLACE in the AFC Central.  The freakin' BUNGLES were in a playoff race!!!

Now the media would have considered that a big win no matter what, but A LOT of them had mocked Chad's guarantee.  It was the greatest feeling in the world watching all those bastards eat their cake.

Dead on times 10....That was one of the most exciting games I have ever attended.  
Reply/Quote
But Belichick and Palmer basically said Chad runs his own routes, it's hard to figure out (so much so Brady basically got rid of him) lol. Chad would never be in the spot Brady wanted him to be in. Palmer just got used to him. Chad had the best footwork, maybe he has something to teach, but Palmer and Brady/Belichick would probably say differently on his route running capability.

Either way don't feed our franchise mcdonalds chad, it may have worked for you but we need him to last 15 years if we want to stand a chance of winning a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
I loved Chad early in his career. Then the later years his antics went from team player to individual and I thought he became a team cancer. I don;t think that was his intent, but the outcome.

Now he is one of my favorites again, this latest tweet is an example of having fun during a difficult time to have fun.

I think MB should involve him more, but if he did then Chad would have to get more serious so maybe not.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 07:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No he didn’t. Chad played at an extremely high level the entire time he was here. When he “went down hill” he was 33 years old and in an extremely complex NE offense that many WR’s have struggled with. Look at Mo Sanu just last year.

Not to mention Chad had to learn that complex playbook in a matter of weeks. He wasn't traded until the lockout ended. Welker even excused Chad's performance by mentioning how complex the playbook was.

(04-27-2020, 07:57 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Hmm..went downhill after HOF season..that was part of my point.  A great contrast of players.. Two great players for the Bengals Chad and AJ.. success got to Chad.. team became less as I become more..  i have seen the opposite in AJ..  Also Great Team Players are judged by getting to playoffs and winning.... I think we look past his negatives because of his not only his positives but theatrics also...
Finally if Chad is so loyal Bengals.. why now ?? why in the News so much more ??? what about when we were making the 5 year run to playoffs ???  I circle back around to more about ME than about TEAM.. sorry i hijacked this post.. i will go into the shadow now...

Chad has always talked about the Bengals. He talked about Dalton, Green and the rest of the team a lot during that 5 year run. Had a brief intern/coaching stint with us during that run. Of course, a lot of the same people trashing Chad now were trashing Chad then, saying "what's he going to do, teach our receivers how to eat McDonald's and be self-centered?

People just won't let go of the hate.

(04-29-2020, 08:57 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: But Belichick and Palmer basically said Chad runs his own routes, it's hard to figure out (so much so Brady basically got rid of him) lol. Chad would never be in the spot Brady wanted him to be in. Palmer just got used to him. Chad had the best footwork, maybe he has something to teach, but Palmer and Brady/Belichick would probably say differently on his route running capability.

Either way don't feed our franchise mcdonalds chad, it may have worked for you but we need him to last 15 years if we want to stand a chance of winning a playoff game.

Too much is made of Chad "freelancing". The best WR's often improvise. I read a quote from Drew Brees where he said he wants his best WR's to improvise, but only if he trusts them...which he did trust guys like Colston. If Chad wasn't good at it, then he wouldn't be the 6x Pro Bowler, 2x all-pro that he was.

...and tbh, I don't remember anyone even talking about Chad improvising until 2010, when Carson fans were using it to excuse Carson's 20 INT's and 5 pick sixes. Carson was just INT prone, and that wasn't Chad's fault.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I thought I read about Brady and Chad very recently (maybe because Chad is appearing in the media more because of Burrow), this is not the article I read about his struggles, but it says it's well documented he couldn't run NE's routes:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/06/08/why-chad-ochocinco-failed-with-patriots/woLHEZMcbQsvowtsayTgVL/story.html

" What the Patriots didn’t realize watching Ochocinco on film while with the Bengals was, according to several league sources, he ran the routes he wanted to there and it drove quarterback Carson Palmer nuts -- especially later in his Bengals career. But Palmer was smart enough to realize that no matter where Ochocinco was running, he was probably going to get open because his feet are that good down the field. And after so many reps together, Palmer had a good feel for where Ochocinco would end up.

That can play in the Bengals’ offense, but not with the Patriots. This offense is so precise that if one player is in the wrong spot, it throws off the entire system – not to mention it irks Brady, who wants to be in total control at all times on the field."

Whatever I heard it was basically Brady couldn't trust Chad would be where he was supposed to be, and that got him essentially benched (not thrown to).

I remember people talking about chad improvising only after he moved on, because he failed in NE and it came out that Carson was able to work with him even though he improvised all the time.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2020, 08:27 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I thought I read about Brady and Chad very recently (maybe because Chad is appearing in the media more because of Burrow), this is not the article I read about his struggles, but it says it's well documented he couldn't run NE's routes:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/06/08/why-chad-ochocinco-failed-with-patriots/woLHEZMcbQsvowtsayTgVL/story.html

" What the Patriots didn’t realize watching Ochocinco on film while with the Bengals was, according to several league sources, he ran the routes he wanted to there and it drove quarterback Carson Palmer nuts -- especially later in his Bengals career. But Palmer was smart enough to realize that no matter where Ochocinco was running, he was probably going to get open because his feet are that good down the field. And after so many reps together, Palmer had a good feel for where Ochocinco would end up.

That can play in the Bengals’ offense, but not with the Patriots. This offense is so precise that if one player is in the wrong spot, it throws off the entire system – not to mention it irks Brady, who wants to be in total control at all times on the field."

Whatever I heard it was basically Brady couldn't trust Chad would be where he was supposed to be, and that got him essentially benched (not thrown to).

I remember people talking about chad improvising only after he moved on, because he failed in NE and it came out that Carson was able to work with him even though he improvised all the time.

I stand by what I said. I can find endless links talking about Chad being known for his excellent route running:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000817660/article/chad-johnson-megatron-among-best-wr-prospects-ive-scouted
https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/06/buffalo-bills-chad-johnson-stevie-johnson-better-footwork/
https://www.stack.com/a/chad-johnson-offers-his-opinion-of-the-top-4-route-runners-in-the-nfl

Chad didn't get to the level he was on by running wherever he wanted and just winging it. To suggest that all he did was freelance is frankly ridiculous. I'm sure he was given permission to freelance at times, or have options on some of his routes, but again, he was far from alone on that.

An article on the Titans talking about Kendall Wright being given the green light to freelance a bit, early in his career: https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2016/06/07/kendall-wright-wont-free-lance-under-terry-robiskie/85568468/

Drew Brees saying Marques Colston had "route guidlines": https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/11/drew-brees-marques-colston-has-route-guidelines-not-rules/

I'm sure Chad had similar permissions. He wasn't going rogue and ignoring Bratkowski and Marvin Lewis.

I'd be interested to see who these "league sources" were. Probably Palmer himself. Funny thing is, after he started throwing Chad under the bus for his 20 INT's and 5 pick sixes, he left and was acting the same way towards receivers in Oakland and AZ. Throwing his hands up in the air as if to say "what are you doing" after every pick...with no Chad in sight.

As far as why Chad flopped in New England, everything I've read mentions the complex playbook:

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2013/09/on_most_plays_new_england_patr.html (an entire article on the complexity of the playbook, that mentions Chad as one of numerous players who failed to adapt)
https://www.boston.com/sports/extra-points/2014/09/02/what_makes_the_patriots_offense_so_difficult
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 01:07 AM)fredtoast Wrote: To me it is totally differeent now that he is not on the team.  It is not constantly right in your face.

Chad lost his way after ther '07 season and his play declined dramatically after that.  But there was no big blow up when he left.  The '10 season was probably the most disappointing season in Bengal history, but there was plenty of blame to go around.

That was a decade ago.  When I see Chad now it is like seeing an old girlfriend from many years ago.  The breakup may not have been pleasant, but (except for a couple of extreme cases) I usually think back on the good times instead of the bad part at the end.  

Chad is not only one of the best players in team history, he is by far the biggest personality.

I guess you guys are right. The coaches will probably run him off if he becomes a problem.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if Chad will get any consideration at all for the HOF.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 08:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I wonder if Chad will get any consideration at all for the HOF.

Doubtful.

Reply/Quote
The risk of injury to any of the Bengals' WRs is too great to participate in an attention *****'s publicity stunt in an desperate attempt to stay relevant after his football career ended.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 11:29 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The risk of injury to any of the Bengals' WRs is too great to participate in an attention *****'s publicity stunt in an desperate attempt to stay relevant after his football career ended.

QBs get praised every time they get their receivers together for private throwing and practice sessions in the offseason.  No one ever squeals about the risk of injury.

Don't let your hatred for Chad make you say stupid things.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 08:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’ll be better when we can get back to normal. No sports and no movies makes Nicomo a dull boy...

Fox Sports Ohio, 7pm over the next two days....last 2 games of 1990 World Series. There might be replays of the 1st 2, haven't checked the schedule. You can thank me later.   Cool

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: QBs get praised every time they get their receivers together for private throwing and practice sessions in the offseason.  No one ever squeals about the risk of injury.

Don't let your hatred for Chad make you say stupid things.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/10/14/6977573/bengals-marvin-jones-injured-reserve-cobi-hamilton

Quote:Coming off of a very promising 2013 season, Marvin Jones won't see the field in 2014.

The Cincinnati Bengals placed the third-year receiver on injured reserve Tuesday, ending his 2014 campaign before he plays even one snap of football.

Jones got off to a bad start health-wise when he suffered an ankle injury during an offseason workout with Andy Dalton and other receivers in Texas. The injury wasn't believed to be that bad, though he opened training camp on the non-football injury list.

He eventually came off of it and was able to practice, but suffered a broken bone in his fifth metatarsal that led to him missing the beginning of the season, following surgery to repair the break.

Once that healed and he was able to return to the field, he re-injured his ankle to the point where the team is now placing him on I.R. rather than risking causing more damage to Jones' injuries.

Yeah, no one ever squealed about Marvin Jones' injury, did they?
Reply/Quote