Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing My Mind About Taylor
(09-28-2020, 03:46 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I'd almost be tempted to give Jay Gruden a call.

You obviously didn't pay attention to the hot mess Gruden's time in Washington ended with.  He may never be a HC again.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 03:44 PM)McC Wrote: I don't know if Bill Walsh himself could call plays with no running game and no time to to throw.  How can anybody judge the play calling under those circumstances?

On the rare occasions when he does have a little time, there are open receivers.  Doesn't that say anything to anyone?

You can call plays to mask your weaknesses somewhat. For example, call more roll outs or screen passes to help with a poor pass blocking OL. Don't call play action passes if your OL can't even give the QB time to fake the handoff. 

Ultimately, it's his schemes, his plays, his call on when to call what. If the offense fails, the fault lies with the OC and in this case it's also the HC.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 03:46 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I'd almost be tempted to give Jay Gruden a call.

"almost"
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 03:51 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You can call plays to mask your weaknesses somewhat. For example, call more roll outs or screen passes to help with a poor pass blocking OL. Don't call play action passes if your OL can't even give the QB time to fake the handoff. 

Ultimately, it's his schemes, his plays, his call on when to call what. If the offense fails, the fault lies with the OC and in this case it's also the HC.

Did you see what happened when they rolled him out yesterday?  Pure disaster. Defenses are just pass rushing on every play and tackling Mixon on their way to the QB.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 03:48 PM)McC Wrote: You obviously didn't pay attention to the hot mess Gruden's time in Washington ended with.  He may never be a HC again.

I thought he got them to the playoffs a couple of times?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 04:00 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I thought he got them to the playoffs a couple of times?

The culture he created there was a disaster and was the biggest reason he got fired.

No more Bengal retreads, please.

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 03:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: IF we move on, I want an established coach with a proven track record. Have them get us back into contention and THEN roll the dice with a first time HC.

At this point I just want someone who’s proven they’re good at their job. If they hire Joe Brady at least we know he’s an effective play caller. Taylor failed at UC and Miami (and here so far). Coaching WR’s and QB’s on a good team should not be enough to land you a HC job.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 03:48 PM)McC Wrote: You obviously didn't pay attention to the hot mess Gruden's time in Washington ended with.  He may never be a HC again.

Tbf he was working for the one owner who’s arguably worse than ours. How many coaches have succeeded in Washington since Snyder bought the team?

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 04:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tbf he was working for the one owner who’s arguably worse than ours. How many coaches have succeeded in Washington since Snyder bought the team?

No doubt.  But it's all the sexual harassment allegations and the culture described as toxic that I'm talking about.

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 03:56 PM)McC Wrote: Did you see what happened when they rolled him out yesterday?  Pure disaster.

Yes, but wasn't that more because of the routes the receivers were running then the actual rollout?

(09-28-2020, 03:56 PM)McC Wrote: Defenses are just pass rushing on every play and tackling Mixon on their way to the QB.  

Then call more screen passes. Throw more slant passes (why aren't we doing this anyway? Slants seem to be a good way to pick up some quick easy yards)

It's like our offense isn't even TRYING to scheme or playcall around our main weakness. They just keep calling plays and hoping the OL does its job.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 04:01 PM)McC Wrote: The culture he created there was a disaster and was the biggest reason he got fired.

Is Zim coming back after getting canned by the vikes a retread?
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 04:01 PM)McC Wrote: The culture he created there was a disaster and was the biggest reason he got fired.

That culture came from well above him.  From the owner, to the GM, to various people in the Front Office.

Jay Gruden may not be a great head coach, but I don't think it's fair to claim he created a bad culture there.  He inherited it.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 04:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: At this point I just want someone who’s proven they’re good at their job.

Definitely at the coordinator and position coaches, but I don't want a first time HC replacing Zac. I know that limits things but I want to get back to winning more games than losing.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 04:20 PM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: Is Zim coming back after getting canned by the vikes a retread?

I'd LOVE for Zim to come as our HC. He has 1 losing season as HC of the Vikings which was his 1st season there. He has 1 season where they went 8-8 but the other years they've had winning records. So, if Minnesota lets him go, I'd be more than happy for the Bengals to swoop him up
Reply/Quote
For the love of God hire an OC. The arrogance of a first time head coach with very little OC experience thinking he can do both jobs is appalling.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 03:44 PM)McC Wrote: I don't know if Bill Walsh himself could call plays with no running game and no time to to throw.  How can anybody judge the play calling under those circumstances?

On the rare occasions when he does have a little time, there are open receivers.  Doesn't that say anything to anyone?

This is fair. But we can judge him off the decisions he has made. Isn't this the line he stuck his neck out for? Isn't this the position coach he stuck his neck out for as well? Don't let your assistant coaches get you fired, Zach.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 04:22 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: That culture came from well above him.  From the owner, to the GM, to various people in the Front Office.

Jay Gruden may not be a great head coach, but I don't think it's fair to claim he created a bad culture there.  He inherited it.

Everything I read about it had his name firmly attached to it.

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 04:26 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Definitely at the coordinator and position coaches, but I don't want a first time HC replacing Zac. I know that limits things but I want to get back to winning more games than losing.

Going 1st time doesn’t automatically mean losing. Look at McVay, Shanahan, Pederson, etc.

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 04:20 PM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: Is Zim coming back after getting canned by the vikes a retread?

He might be an exception.  But I can see him just retiring and going home to the farm.

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 04:29 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'd LOVE for Zim to come as our HC. He has 1 losing season as HC of the Vikings which was his 1st season there. He has 1 season where they went 8-8 but the other years they've had winning records. So, if Minnesota lets him go, I'd be more than happy for the Bengals to swoop him up

They’re not going to have a winning season this year...

Unpopular opinion around here, but I actually think Zimmer has somewhat underachieved in Minnesota. He’s had really good teams, but hasn’t been able to get them over the hump. He’s had some bad luck in the playoffs for sure, but so did Marvin and we never gave him a pass.

Reply/Quote