Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing My Mind About Taylor
(09-28-2020, 04:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Going 1st time doesn’t automatically mean losing. Look at McVay, Shanahan, Pederson, etc.

I get that. But, I'd rather someone who has a proven track record. There are probably more Zac Taylors, Dave Shulas, etc than McVays, Shanahan, Pederson, etc. (yes, I know I listed 2 to your 3, but I'm too lazy to look up others)
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 04:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They’re not going to have a winning season this year...

Unpopular opinion around here, but I actually think Zimmer has somewhat underachieved in Minnesota. He’s had really good teams, but hasn’t been able to get them over the hump. He’s had some bad luck in the playoffs for sure, but so did Marvin and we never gave him a pass.

Zimmer is 2-3 in the postseason.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 04:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote: For the love of God hire an OC. The arrogance of a first time head coach with very little OC experience thinking he can do both jobs is appalling.

Callahan is our OC.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 04:44 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Callahan is our OC.

I'd be curious as to what Callahan's role is on this team. He's our OC but he doesn't call plays. I bet he probably didn't design the playbook nor the scheme. I'm sure he had input but I doubt he's really done much as OC.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 04:43 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I get that. But, I'd rather someone who has a proven track record. There are probably more Zac Taylors, Dave Shulas, etc than McVays, Shanahan, Pederson, etc. (yes, I know I listed 2 to your 3, but I'm too lazy to look up others)

Right about now anyone but Taylor sounds good to me tbh lol

Eric Bieniemy is my first choice though. So again, we’ll just have to disagree on steering clear of a first time HC.

Reply/Quote
I think ZT will improve as HC. Maybe some at OC, but not both. I would like to give Simmons a shot at OC or let Brian call the actual plays. With that said, I think if the team can fix the OL, the game plans would work pretty well because Burrow is a difference maker. SO that is why what ZT is doing with Burrow is not too far off.

I worry Burrow is taking too many hits which is unacceptable. I think ZT needs to get some fire in his belly and communicate such. Also, W-L are important but not at the cost of ruining the psyche of a young promising rookie QB.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 03:51 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You can call plays to mask your weaknesses somewhat. For example, call more roll outs or screen passes to help with a poor pass blocking OL. Don't call play action passes if your OL can't even give the QB time to fake the handoff. 

Ultimately, it's his schemes, his plays, his call on when to call what. If the offense fails, the fault lies with the OC and in this case it's also the HC.

Scheme issues I think are more the issue with Taylor. They're not quite sure how to mask our deficiencies ?

Brat some time ago was a very good offensive mind. But he lacked quite a bit in being able to put it all together and call a good game on the field. The old plan A isn't working so there's no plan B, and he couldn't adapt on the fly problem.

I think ZT struggles with this also.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 04:44 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Zimmer is 2-3 in the postseason.

Right, and the guys like the ones I mentioned already have that many playoff wins or more.

I think most Vikings fans will tell you they expected more than 2 playoff wins with all those good teams they’ve had in recent years.

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 04:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right about now anyone but Taylor sounds good to me tbh lol

Eric Bieniemy is my first choice though. So again, we’ll just have to disagree on steering clear of a first time HC.

I might accept Bieniemy since he was my choice back when it was between him and Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 04:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right, and the guys like the ones I mentioned already have that many playoff wins or more.

I think most Vikings fans will tell you they expected more than 2 playoff wins with all those good teams they’ve had in recent years.

Fair enough. I'd still welcome him back with open arms.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 05:06 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Fair enough. I'd still welcome him back with open arms.

I would too. Just wouldn’t be my first choice.

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 03:39 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I get where you are coming from, but you can look for a new staff and do back-ground research without firing your current guy.

I don't think however, they can interview anyone in season. So, there really is no benefit to being the first team to fire your guy, just weather the storm, and have your research ready and end of season, make the move.

Problem is, you once again have to trust the front office to hire the right guy, and that should scare everyone.

You can’t interview active coaches in the NFL. They could still interview out of work NFL coaches and college coaches.

And I don’t like Taylor, but you don’t do somebody like that. Interview people for the job while you still have the guy working there.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 04:54 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I might accept Bieniemy since he was my choice back when it was between him and Taylor.

Bieniemy could likely be the hottest HC prospect for 2021, ZT is going to have to pull out a miracle to get out of Dave Shula's shadow.  If Bieniemy had any interest in coming here we totally blew it by going with ZT.  Methnks the boat as been miss, but time will tell.
Reply/Quote
I'm willing to wait 2 more weeks before I want Taylor gone. We are supposed to beat the Jags and I would like to see us competitive against Ravens. I know it's asking alot but ive seen improvement every week as opposed to the dumpster fire of last season.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 06:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Bieniemy could likely be the hottest HC prospect for 2021, ZT is going to have to pull out a miracle to get out of Dave Shula's shadow.  If Bieniemy had any interest in coming here we totally blew it by going with ZT.  Methnks the boat as been miss, but time will tell.

Joe Burrow is a pretty enticing piece to have in place for any potential HC. Any coach that would come here can obviously see they have their work cut out for them with the OL issues, but Burrow has had us in every game so far.

With a better DC, some slightly better play calling? Who knows.

Reply/Quote
We have a really talented young HC right in our backyard. Luke Fickell.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 06:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Joe Burrow is a pretty enticing piece to have in place for any potential HC. Any coach that would come here can obviously see they have their work cut out for them with the OL issues, but Burrow has had us in every game so far.

With a better DC, some slightly better play calling? Who knows.

Right, I was the one saying we could even move on from ZT after the 2019 season if Burrow was such an amazing prospect that we could use him to lure in a decent HC.  I just can't help but shake the feeling that Burrow isn't enough to offset the no GM, stagnant ownership style, and other "that's just the Bengal way" stuff that must plague the NFL job market.

When we move on from ZT I'll have some optimism we can lure someone much better in, but next year there is going to be a team that can use Trevor Lawrence to lure in a HC and every year there will be a new franchise that is more desperate to hand over power to coaches and GMs.  I'm not saying that's going to lead to success, but even with Burrow it's hard to look at our coaching in the Mike Brown era and get optimistic that victory is over the next hill.  Oof.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 06:18 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I'm willing to wait 2 more weeks before I want Taylor gone. We are supposed to beat the Jags and I would like to see us competitive against Ravens. I know it's asking alot but ive seen improvement every week as opposed to the dumpster fire of last season.

We are going to give ZT the whole year at least, because other than Simmons no one on this coaching staff is fit to coach.  With that being said, ZT was highly complicit in the exceedingly low bar you are setting for him this year.  

Again, we won't fire ZT mid season but I can't help but wonder who would possibly take over if we did.  I assume it would be Simmons, but giving Simmons these coordinators would seem like we are punishing the guy.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 02:45 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Was about 5 times the Bengals ran this exact playpen they bring the WR in motion across the field and snapping the ball right before he gets to the QB.  Each time Burrow faked the handoff to the WR and quick pitched it to Mixon.  Each time that play went for a loss it seemed.  Not sure if that play is set before hand to pitch it or if Burrow has the option to hand it to the WR.  Anyways defense wasn't fooled at all.

It worked when Finley did it...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
We were 6.5 point underdogs we were supposed to lose and didn't that is significant. We have outplayed the opening line every single week 3 weeks in a row now so because of a 0-2-1 start to the season no reason to abandon ship
Reply/Quote