Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chargers Gameplan
There were quite a few differences of opinion on the Raider game plan.  I think I pretty much nailed it with the "pass first to open up the run" and a lot of multiple receiver options with quick short completions. 

I think the Bengals could have hung a 50-burger on the Raiders if they so desired.

So, what will be the plan this week?  Will we see a repeat of the "Tyler Eifert Show"?  I don't know.  I think Hue would like them to think that will be the plan again, but I could see a lot more of the running game this week.  They grumbled in the post game press conferences about "leaving a lot of yards on the field" in terms of rushing yards.  I don't really know enough about San Diego's rush defense, but it appears (only by the box score) that the Lions were having decent success with the run, but chose to throw the ball a great deal more.

Personally, I would like to see the Bengals come out pounding San Diego with Hill and Gio with the occasional downfield pass to Marvin or AJ.  Keep the defense fresh.  Own possession.  Wear them down.

Defensively, I think that without Antonio Gates, Keenan Allen is their main weapon.  He had 15 (gulp!) receptions last week against Detroit.  I think our front four will supply Rivers with lots of pressure to prevent any downfield connections.

If the Bengals should be up by two scores in the second half, I wouldn't mind seeing a Mo Sanu pass (not to Dalton) in an effort to bury them.  That would give the Ratbirds just one more thing to think about it week 3. 

What say you?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Keep the multiple sets going on offense to create mismatches. I think Eifert once again will be a focus of that. I'd like to see Kroft get a couple targets along with Rex. Spreading the ball around drives defenses nuts.

The deeper we get in the game the more we run, especially if we're leading. We typically aren't a 2nd half of the game team and we should aim at shortening it with running.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Run Jeremy Hill.........then run Jeremy Hill some more. People complain that our offensive coordinators have gotten cute in the past, well lets not fall into the same trap, ride your super talented HB and pick and choose your shots.
Reply/Quote
I dont think they will let Tyler Eifert chew them up like he did the Raiders last week.

With that being said I foresee a strong dose of pounding the ball early and then going over the top to AJ.

In order for us to go deep into the playoffs this year we have to get AJ and Andy on the same page, lets get the chemistry started now as there is certainly a disconnect early in the season.

I'm also predicting a big game from #82, 9 receptions, 108 yards and a TD!

ThumbsUp
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 09:31 AM)Au165 Wrote: Run Jeremy Hill.........then run Jeremy Hill some more. People complain that our offensive coordinators have gotten cute in the past, well lets not fall into the same trap, ride your super talented HB and pick and choose your shots.

Pound. The. ROCK!

I'd like to see Hill take 25 carries and Gio another 10. Maybe a Burkhead or two, too.

THEN find Eifert, once the LBs and safeties are arm-weary and gassed.
Reply/Quote
They are going to have to pick their poison... Either take away Green or Eifert. Either of those scenarios should lead to a big day for our run game. If they put a linebacker or a safety on Eifert, then that's one less guy in the box to stop the run. My biggest worry for us is we know that the offensive line can protect Andy, can they do it again and get better push in the run game.
Reply/Quote
The o-line was decimated in the playoff game. It's at full strength now. Win in the trenches with the run game and the Bengals win the game.
Reply/Quote
Detroit was stupid for not running more. I think Hue would agree and will plan accordingly. But Detroit also made some plays in the passing game. I came away from the Detroit game not seeing anything scary about the Chargers' defense. It's their offense that has me worried. Gordon is a very talented runner, and Rivers is really quick in getting the ball to receivers on bubble screens and short routes in order to offset any pass rush. It's good that press coverage is a forte of our CBs. Won't shock me if Pacman is our leading tackler for a second week in a row.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Score more points than we allow them to score....

Really its just control the clock (WITH THE OFFENSE not this prevent defense crap...)
Reply/Quote
Create the running game early to open up everything else.
Reply/Quote
My 'I'm a fan who knows nothing about football' dream play looks like this. Rivers is really good at converting 3rd and ~7-9 yards so on 3rd down I use the following personnel.

I put the following 5 on the line: Dunlap, Clarke, Hunt, Atkins, Johnson. Only Atkins and Dunlap are truly are rushing. Clarke, Hunt and Johnson get their hands up to try to bat the ball/block passing lanes while getting whatever push they can. Meanwhile the rest of the field is covered by Nelson, Iloka, Hall, Kirkpat, Quez, and Chris Lewis-Harris. Iloka fades back into a zone, all the other DBs man up.

Now tell me that wouldn't cut down on 3rd down conversions (or tell my I have no clue what I'm talking about, which is, uh, true...).

Edit: What does everyone think of us splitting tackles out to WR (to block presumably). I thought it was an interesting move from Hue -- sure there are less targets who are gonna get downfield fast and be able to catch, but the blocking should be great on the outside. It is a very interesting and creative formation.

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 01:32 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: My 'I'm a fan who knows nothing about football' dream play looks like this. Rivers is really good at converting 3rd and ~7-9 yards so on 3rd down I use the following personnel.

I put the following 5 on the line: Dunlap, Clarke, Hunt, Atkins, Johnson. Only Atkins and Dunlap are truly are rushing. Clarke, Hunt and Johnson get their hands up to try to bat the ball/block passing lanes while getting whatever push they can. Meanwhile the rest of the field is covered by Nelson, Iloka, Hall, Kirkpat, Quez, and Chris Lewis-Harris. Iloka fades back into a zone, all the other DBs man up.

Now tell me that wouldn't cut down on 3rd down conversions (or tell my I have no clue what I'm talking about, which is, uh, true...).

Edit: What does everyone think of us splitting tackles out to WR (to block presumably). I thought it was an interesting move from Hue -- sure there are less targets who are gonna get downfield fast and be able to catch, but the blocking should be great on the outside. It is a very interesting and creative formation.

have you been drinking???  j/k
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 03:55 PM)corpjet Wrote: have you been drinking???  j/k

I won't deny it (not the drinking but that the plan was bad). Terrible plan is terrible.

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 08:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There were quite a few differences of opinion on the Raider game plan.  I think I pretty much nailed it with the "pass first to open up the run" and a lot of multiple receiver options with quick short completions. 

I think the Bengals could have hung a 50-burger on the Raiders if they so desired.

So, what will be the plan this week?  Will we see a repeat of the "Tyler Eifert Show"?  I don't know.  I think Hue would like them to think that will be the plan again, but I could see a lot more of the running game this week.  They grumbled in the post game press conferences about "leaving a lot of yards on the field" in terms of rushing yards.  I don't really know enough about San Diego's rush defense, but it appears (only by the box score) that the Lions were having decent success with the run, but chose to throw the ball a great deal more.

Personally, I would like to see the Bengals come out pounding San Diego with Hill and Gio with the occasional downfield pass to Marvin or AJ.  Keep the defense fresh.  Own possession.  Wear them down.

Defensively, I think that without Antonio Gates, Keenan Allen is their main weapon.  He had 15 (gulp!) receptions last week against Detroit.  I think our front four will supply Rivers with lots of pressure to prevent any downfield connections.

If the Bengals should be up by two scores in the second half, I wouldn't mind seeing a Mo Sanu pass (not to Dalton) in an effort to bury them.  That would give the Ratbirds just one more thing to think about it week 3. 

What say you?

I say Hue needs to let AD determine run or pass once he gets to the LOS. If they have an 8 men in the box, then pass the ball. If seven in the box, run the ball.

We now have an experienced smart QB's whose strength is reading defenses, let him use his strength. The beauty of our team is we have a offense that can both pass and can run making the very dangerous.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Judging from the past and from what i have seen lately, we should be able to run
all over the Chargers, so that should be what we concentrate on first, bully them
then set up the Play Action to Green and MLJ deep.

On Defense we need to stop the run and get after Rivers, he is good real good even
with pressure at times but not if it is coming from the middle of the line. Unleash
Geno this game. He looks to be back, he was not quite as disruptive as i was hoping
last game even though he got a strip sack and was held quite often.

Bring Dunlap, MJ, Carter all to meet Rivers if Geno flushes him and oh...

Don't lose the little guy in coverage and keep hitting Keenan Allen, intimidate the
man. I thought our guys did this a lot in Oakland even if it was dumb at times, just
don't lose your head out there, talking to George, Adam and Dre.
Reply/Quote
We just need to hit Rivers -- a lot. We get him in 3rd and long situations and I like our chances with our O against their D. Woodhead catching out of the backfield is a problem against our LBs. We need to tackle well in space.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I don't think it was designed to be the Eifert show, I think it was there as the blanket we have always wanted for Dalton.

That being said, I would attack them, similar to the Raiders. No reason to stop what worked. We attack them and don't go in conservative. The Raiders run defense did a great job of closing holes so we were forced to pass it a bit more, eventually that opened up things.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 09:10 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Keep the multiple sets going on offense to create mismatches.  I think Eifert once again will be a focus of that.  I'd like to see Kroft get a couple targets along with Rex.  Spreading the ball around drives defenses nuts.

The deeper we get in the game the more we run, especially if we're leading.  We typically aren't a 2nd half of the game team and we should aim at shortening it with running
Agreed.  I know it is only week 2, but I would like to see them try and get Kroft some experience and Rex as a weekly 3-5 target weapon.
San Diego sure is a second half team, so I am also with you on the running game. 
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 01:32 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: My 'I'm a fan who knows nothing about football' dream play looks like this. Rivers is really good at converting 3rd and ~7-9 yards so on 3rd down I use the following personnel.

Why wait until 3rd down?  If they are going to throw the ball 40 times, there are lots of opportunities for batted ball or better yet, tipped balls that might turn in to interceptions. 

I actually think you are not far off what a lot of teams are going to be shifting to since they simply can't get pressure in 2.0 seconds, which is how quickly some offenses are getting the ball out.  You still need LBs that can hold up to a RB and TE that take a screen or slant to make the big hit and not wear out your secondary.  But I like what you are thinking:  basically, if you can't get there, get your hands up!
Reply/Quote

Hey man, you are kinda out there but i love the imagination.

Really cool post honestly. Where would football be without some crazy thoughts?

Especially a crazy thought that is adapting to negate the other team's strengths?
Reply/Quote