Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Charlie Jones
For a Boilermaker he's not bad.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 09:37 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Them coaches were the ones that kept him on the roster over other options so whos really to blame

Chuck sizzle has a broken thumb apparently....
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2023, 08:53 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Jones showed up on the injury report with a thumb issue. Hopefully nothing too serious to keep him out of the return game next Sunday. Would also like to see more of him in the passing game to see if he can possibly replace Boyd in the slot next season. I could see then giving Boyd an extension moving him outside and letting Tee walk

(09-28-2023, 10:21 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Chuck sizzle has a broken thumb apparently....

A guy on CincyJUngle said he was staying at the same hotel as Charlie's father was and that he told him after the game his thumb was broken.

(09-28-2023, 09:45 AM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: For a Boilermaker he's not bad.
What's that supposed to mean?

They aren't some mickey-mouse school.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 02:50 PM)basballguy Wrote: Do people actually think this or is just one of those nonsensical reddit narratives that bleeds over to here from time to time?  I'm fine with a 40 yard punt with 0 return yards vs a 50 yard punt with 10 return yards.

A 40yd net on punts is absolutely atrocious.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 09:37 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Them coaches were the ones that kept him on the roster over other options so whos really to blame

Chrisman was just super bad it’s looking like
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I will say when The Bengals rookies came to visit, I thought Charlie was a ball boy. Apparently, I was not alone as fans were interacting with the vast majority of player, but Charlie was by himself throwing a ball up in the air. The punter looked more athletic. It wasn't until after the visit that I noticed him in the background of a picture and it clicked.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 09:45 AM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: For a Boilermaker he's not bad.

They have 13 players CURRENTLY in the NFL….

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-09-06/colleges-most-players-nfl-opening-night-rosters?amp

That’s not that bad, all things considered.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 02:52 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You do realize that according to pretty much every analytic he is the worst punter in the league at the moment, correct? 

Even his own coaches were blasting him on the sidelines last week during the game. 

There are 6 guys beneath Robbins in terms of net punting average. 

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punting?sort=puntnet 

Look, he is not the guy I would have picked. But the coaches clearly made the decision to sacrifice leg for hang time. 

We have given up 20 return yards on 18 punts. 5 have been returned. 4 yards per return. In terms of raw yardage on returns, only 6 guys have allowed less, and none of them have more than 12 punts. In terms of rerurn yards per punt or per return, he rates even higher.

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punting?sort=puntryd 

Look, he has not been good overall. He is not a field flipper. But he has been as advertised in terms of not allowing any returns. 20 yards on 18 punts. I am not gonna put him in the Carman category yet. 
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 10:32 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: A 40yd net on punts is absolutely atrocious.

I guess we should've cut Kevin Huber his rookie season then when he had a net of 36.3.  He didn't even clear 40 until his 4th year

Come on guys......
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 10:32 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: A 40yd net on punts is absolutely atrocious.

The word "atrocious" makes it seem like "extremely bad." But the highest average in the NFL in 2022 for net punt average was one punter who had an average of 45, then three with an average of 44. Many were 40 yards or less, including Huber with 37 yards average. Jordan Stout, considered a good punter, only had an average of 41. I would take "poor" or "pretty bad" for 40 yards in punt average, but "absolutely atrocious"? The all-time record in the NCAA is only 45. 

I would think Robbins would get his net average up. He had a net average of 44 in college.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 12:17 PM)basballguy Wrote: I guess we should've cut Kevin Huber his rookie season then when he had a net of 36.3.  He didn't even clear 40 until his 4th year

Come on guys......

Apparently there's no difference between college and NFL when it comes to punters. They're supposed to come in and be the player they will always be. Punters don't have growth. They are who they are from game 1 of their career to the last game of their career. Exactly the same.  Whatever

That said, I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Araiza.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
There are currently 18 punters with a net average of 42.3 or better. 8 with a net of 44 or better. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 12:29 PM)Nepa Wrote: The word "atrocious" makes it seem like "extremely bad." But the highest average in the NFL in 2022 for net punt average was one punter who had an average of 45, then three with an average of 44. Many were 40 yards or less, including Huber with 37 yards average. Jordan Stout, considered a good punter, only had an average of 41. I would take "poor" or "pretty bad" for 40 yards in punt average, but "absolutely atrocious"? The all-time record in the NCAA is only 45. 

I would think Robbins would get his net average up. He had a net average of 44 in college.

Without even looking up stats, I know that 45 yards is a good punt average, and that a typical punt return is around 8 yards. That would only be a 37 yard net. I doubt that 40 would be a terrible net.

That said, I'm not going to defend our punter. I'd give him another week or two, and if he can't get squared away, I'd look to pick someone up.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Our punter would look better if our offense would quit stalling out at the 20 and 30.... he's a dude that will thrive once he's in his goldilocks zone.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 04:16 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Our punter would look better if our offense would quit stalling out at the 20 and 30.... he's a dude that will thrive once he's in his goldilocks zone.

But he CAN'T flip fields and he's already shanked 2 of them in 3 games.

Huber and Chrisman could flip fields if need be.

Robbins reminds me of Kyle Larson, with better hangtime.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 10:32 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: A guy on CincyJUngle said he was staying at the same hotel as Charlie's father was and that he told him after the game his thumb was broken.

What's that supposed to mean?

They aren't some mickey-mouse school.

That sucks with Charlie and the broken thumb. Can he still return Punts with it or is he going to not be the guy until it heals?

True about Purdue not being some mickey mouse school. That Drew Brees guy was pretty good....

(09-28-2023, 12:17 PM)basballguy Wrote: I guess we should've cut Kevin Huber his rookie season then when he had a net of 36.3.  He didn't even clear 40 until his 4th year

Come on guys......

Didn't know that, thanks. Robbins can certainly get better, should be much better once the Offense improves and he doesn't have to 
try and kick it so far because we go 3 and out like we have been. Like we all know Robbins is a hangtime Punter that keeps the PR from
getting too many opportunities like Chrisman gave the Chiefs Punt Returner in the AFCC game.
Reply/Quote
I’m willing to hope this start for Robbins is just pressure from losing and him learning the speed of the NFL game. He was really good in Michigan so i can’t see him all of a sudden being ass at punting
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 10:33 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: To my untrained eye he looked SLOW as hell week 1 (wet field?) but FAST as hell last night.

I think in preseason he was trying to do too much after the catch. He though the could do a bit lord wiggling than he could

Seems now he’s catching the punt then exploding through a hole. No dancing at all. He’s showing us his superpower is diagnosing which hole to go through and getting thru if
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 11:56 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: They have 13 players  CURRENTLY in the NFL….

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-09-06/colleges-most-players-nfl-opening-night-rosters?amp

Georgia
SEC
Ohio State
Big Ten

Ohio State loses another close one...
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 11:56 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: They have 13 players  CURRENTLY in the NFL….

Don't mind my snark about Purwho.  Or is it Purdon't?  My daughter went to IU.  Charlie's a Bengal now and that's what matters.

I did find the info on college representation in the NFL interesting.  Thirteen NFL players from a Big Ten school is not very good.  Heck, UC has 18.

And yes, I know that IU has 8.  Basketball school.  At least it used to be.
Reply/Quote