Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Chase Brown is coming...
Or at least he could be coming.

IMO I think Chase Brown is or should get a lot more opportunities out of the bye week. It's PAINFULLY obvious that Mixon and his 4.3 YPA aren't really cutting it. Is it an OL/scheme problem or a Joe Mixon problem? Im really not here to debate that and Im not really sure I care to debate it anymore...

What I do know is that this running game needs some SPEED and a shake up. Someone that can make people miss, catch out of the backfield, and break off an explosive run or two and to take some of the load off Mixon.

It's kind of mind blowing that they don't have a package installed for Chase Brown to take advantage of his speed (it's elite accoring to his RAS score, BTW). The offense overall is lacking a guy like him. I really look forward to him getting more work and opportunity in the second half - USE HIM!
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 10:28 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Or at least he could be coming.

IMO I think Chase Brown is or should get a lot more opportunities out of the bye week. It's PAINFULLY obvious that Mixon and his 4.3 YPA aren't really cutting it. Is it an OL/scheme problem or a Joe Mixon problem? Im really not here to debate that and Im not really sure I care to debate it anymore...

What I do know is that this running game needs some SPEED and a shake up. Someone that can make people miss, catch out of the backfield, and break off an explosive run or two and to take some of the load off Mixon.

It's kind of mind blowing that they don't have a package installed for Chase Brown to take advantage of his speed (it's elite accoring to his RAS score, BTW). The offense overall is lacking a guy like him. I really look forward to him getting more work and opportunity in the second half - USE HIM!

TBF; 4.3 YPA is solid...but yes I totally agree about Chase Brown..
its time to let him have his shot. I saw him as our Austin Ekeler.  
When is the last time we had a rush TD that went for 50 yds or more? I cant even recall. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 10:31 AM)kalibengal Wrote: TBF; 4.3 YPA is solid...but yes I totally agree about Chase Brown..
its time to let him have his shot. I saw him as our Austin Ekeler.  
When is the last time we had a rush TD that went for 50 yds or more? I cant even recall. 

It's fine, but there's a lot left on the table at times. 
Reply/Quote
I would love to see Brown get some more snaps. Mixon is doing what he has always done, he's a known commodity. I had some hope early on in the season that he had found a little something, but he hasn't. There was a lot of discourse over the off-season about Mixon. He isn't bad, but he isn't very good. He's just a guy. He struggles to break tackles and generate yards after contact and will generally only get you what the line gives him. What saves him from being completely expendable is he quite a talented receiver. Perhaps underutilized for most of his career, but he is talented there.

Brown may not be it, either, but I would like to see what he can provide. Not as a starter or anything, but giving him five touches per game to start would be nice to see what is there.
Reply/Quote
Callahan indicated Brown would be getting more reps when interviewed on Locked On Bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Either way, hopefully a little competition brings out the best in both of them.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 10:28 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote:  Is it an OL/scheme problem or a Joe Mixon problem?

Well, one of the problems is one of usage. For whatever reason, whether it's working or not, we stop running the ball as the game goes on.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 11:13 AM)Joelist Wrote: Callahan indicated Brown would be getting more reps when interviewed on Locked On Bengals.

Good to hear. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 11:17 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Well, one of the problems is one of usage. For whatever reason, whether it's working or not, we stop running the ball as the game goes on.

thats the biggest issue ive seen
Reply/Quote

Brown is way too small, IMO, to be ran often. The Bengals run scheme consists of a meatwall and the RBs smashing into it over and over again. It's bad. Pollack is bad.

Evans, I think, should be the one playing more. He's been on a milk carton since carrying 2x for 1 yards game 1 against Cleveland. That guy is ELECTRIC when he touches the ball, yet this bumbling offensive coaching staff has him stuffed in a trunk somewhere.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 11:53 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Brown is way too small, IMO, to be ran often. The Bengals run scheme consists of a meatwall and the RBs smashing into it over and over again. It's bad. Pollack is bad.

Evans, I think, should be the one playing more. He's been on a milk carton since carrying 2x for 1 yards game 1 against Cleveland. That guy is ELECTRIC when he touches the ball, yet this bumbling offensive coaching staff has him stuffed in a trunk somewhere.

5’9 215 isn’t small for a rb.

CMC 5’11 210
Ekeler 5’10 200
Pollard 6’ 215
Kenneth walker 5’9 211
Kamara 5’10 215
Etienne 5’10 215
Bijan 5’11 215

I stole this, but this guy put together a guide. He took an average of the heights and weights of the 109 active running backs* across the league.

Average Height of an NFL Running Back
The average height of an NFL Running Back is 70.66 inches (just over 5’10 1/2″).

Average Weight of an NFL Running Back
The average weight of an NFL Running Back is 213.17 pounds.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 11:53 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Brown is way too small, IMO, to be ran often. The Bengals run scheme consists of a meatwall and the RBs smashing into it over and over again. It's bad. Pollack is bad.

I'm not asking him to run it between the tackles 30 times a game. I'm asking him for 5-6 touches to start. Increase that as the year goes on if he shines. No reason why he shouldn't be able to handle a 12-15 touch workload. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 12:13 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'm not asking him to run it between the tackles 30 times a game. I'm asking him for 5-6 touches to start. Increase that as the year goes on if he shines. No reason why he shouldn't be able to handle a 12-15 touch workload. 

That's half a game for the running back touches right now lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
This sort of reads like a hobson shilling

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
While I would like to see Brown and Evans get more opportunities, this is the same organization that drafted T. Williams (a very good SEC running back) and had him languish on the PS or as RB4 for multiple seasons. I feel like we will get to see what Brown has in 2025, if at all.

What I would like to see is us draft a BRUISER next draft. If Zac is going to be so enamored with 11 personnel, and we are a passing-first team, we need a bully at RB, in my opinion. A Marshawn Lynch type. A Jerome Bettis type (I just threw up in my mouth a bit there).
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 12:46 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: While I would like to see Brown and Evans get more opportunities, this is the same organization that drafted T. Williams (a very good SEC running back) and had him languish on the PS or as RB4 for multiple seasons. I feel like we will get to see what Brown has in 2025, if at all.

What I would like to see is us draft a BRUISER next draft. If Zac is going to be so enamored with 11 personnel, and we are a passing-first team, we need a bully at RB, in my opinion. A Marshawn Lynch type. A Jerome Bettis type (I just threw up in my mouth a bit there).

I don't personally care if it is a bruiser or shifty back. As long as whoever it is can break tackles and generate yardage themselves, we will be fine. All of our running backs lack the ability to make something happen as they get into space. 
Reply/Quote

4.3?
His YPA is 3.8 so far this season.
4.3 would actually be sufficient.

As for whether it's a Mixon problem or an OL/scheme problem, I personally feel it's OL/scheme.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Read the stats and trends once running backs turn 28..Mixon is just about cooked, he had a good run, and he will get us through this season..hopefully.
Reply/Quote

Brown could only muster 2.5 ypc during preseason.  He needs to show a lot more to prove he deserves significant snaps.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 12:55 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I don't personally care if it is a bruiser or shifty back. As long as whoever it is can break tackles and generate yardage themselves, we will be fine. All of our running backs lack the ability to make something happen as they get into space. 
I just feel like this offense needs a bruiser more than a shifty guy. We have shifty guys rostered, the scheme is not conducive to their skill set in my opinion. Zac wants to run a wide zone, but signs / drafts OLinemen proficient in power gap. It's like they sign / draft offensive lineman on measureables / pedigree only rather than seeing if they fit the scheme first and foremost. I feel like a "bruiser" at tailback SHOULD come with "pass pro ready" on his draft card, as well as "can push a pile" and "powerful lower body, keeps legs churning consistently". Things we lack right now with these "shifty" backs.
Reply/Quote