Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chase Is A Bengal!
(04-30-2021, 04:15 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Two things that I don't like following those pick.

2. From sports illustrated:
"I’m going to break every record they got at the Bengals," Chase declared. "I’m telling you that right now. I'm going to break every record they have. I don't know how I'm going to do it, but it's going to get done."

This seems arrogant to me especially on your first day. I hope we don't have a diva here. He's definitely no AJ in the humility department.

This is the kind of stuff that Burrow was probably referring to when it comes to Chase being just like him. We’ve heard how Joe is borderline “too cocky” as well. He’s just not annoying about it like a Baker Mayfield. But the kid was out there in the Philly game talking about “when I’m the GOAT I’ll get those calls”

I was watching an interview with Chase a couple days ago where he mentioned how he likes to set goals for himself, and in 2019 it was 1500 yards and 10 TD’s...well he obliterated both. I see no problem with being cocky if you can back it up. I absolutely loved AJ and Geno, but I’m completely ready for some swagger from our best players now (Burrow, Mixon, Chase, Bates, etc).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Plus, he definitely didn’t want to answer the question about being better than Jefferson as a rookie (when they were interviewing him right after the pick was made). If he was truly a “diva” he had the biggest stage in the world to talk himself up right there...

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 04:15 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Two things that I didn't like to hear following this pick.

1. From Yahoo sports:
5) Cincinnati Bengals: WR Ja'Marr Chase, LSU — They’ve been on Chase for a while now, with team owner Mike Brown reportedly stamping the final decision. Chase gives Joe Burrow three excellent wide receivers — Chase, Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd — similar to what he had in college. Chase was his go-to guy, and it looks like a great match … if the protection holds up. Grade: A-.

Nice grade, but the mention of Mike Brown still pulling the strings is very disappointing.  When will this end?!?

2. From sports illustrated:
"I’m going to break every record they got at the Bengals," Chase declared. "I’m telling you that right now. I'm going to break every record they have. I don't know how I'm going to do it, but it's going to get done."

This seems arrogant to me especially on your first day.  I hope we don't have a diva here.  He's definitely no AJ in the humility department.
Not sure how you don't like that quote, maybe you don't like Winners.

I think Rousseau would be more of your guy,  interview where he just seems happy to make it in the league and nothing more,  pretty much guaranteed bust. 

Sometimes I don't know why I read these boards smh
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 02:31 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Well, RT will be....again....after next season. Theoretically, you could've moved your current LT to RT, the mauler to LT, and Reiff as a G or backup. Chase will most likely be a good player, it's just a lot of us fans are tired of kicking this 5 year old issue/can down the road. You've been getting your QBs KILLED for five ****ing years! Fix it gotdammit!

There is a chance we can resign Reiff next year. If not we can again explore a free agent with what we are paying him. We have thievrest of this years draft and next years draft to add to our OL.
Reply/Quote
It could be fun to watch in three short months.
Reply/Quote

Can't wait to see them air it out!

But first things first, let's get some O-Lineman in these next couple of rounds.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
He’s not the guy I wanted, but that doesn’t mean I dislike him. Get this straight - he is an excellent WR. I would have gone Sewell, but that debate is pointless now.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 02:31 AM)Wyche Wrote: Well, RT will be....again....after next season. Theoretically, you could've moved your current LT to RT, the mauler to LT, and Reiff as a G or backup. Chase will most likely be a good player, it's just a lot of us fans are tired of kicking this 5 year old issue/can down the road. You've been getting your QBs KILLED for five ****ing years! Fix it gotdammit!

We don't know that Reiff will be gone after one year. He may like it here and stay at RT or kick inside. All this "we only have him for one year" stuff is just supposition. Besides, there's a draft next year as well....
Reply/Quote
The talk of breaking team records hopefully insinuates he plans on being a Bengal lifer. Hard to project that at this stage obviously.
Reply/Quote
This team needs a injection of swagger to it. As good as those 2011
2015 playoff teams were, there was a lack of swagger and cockiness. Other than from Pac and Tez.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 09:00 AM)impactplaya Wrote: This team needs a injection of swagger to it. As good as those 2011
2015 playoff teams were, there was a lack of swagger and cockiness. Other than from Pac and Tez.

I see nothing wrong with his statement, and love it. It's not like he downplayed those records, he even said he wasn't sure how he was going to do it, but his goal is to break them. I wouldn't want a 1st round receiver who did not have that goal.  Go get them kid.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 05:22 AM)Amalone002 Wrote: Not sure how you don't like that quote, maybe you don't like Winners.

I think Rousseau would be more of your guy,  interview where he just seems happy to make it in the league and nothing more,  pretty much guaranteed bust. 

Personally, I don't like that quote from Chase either.  IMO answer that question diplomatically and show the results on the field.  I mean hell he could have the same Bengals curse that every other Bengals 1st round draft pick has suffered for a few years, get injured and miss his first year in the league.  Yes he could come in and break every record on book but I truly think AJ Green was a better college player than Chase.  I also think AJ came in and showed class.  If this kid is going to show this arrogance now, when they're losing he's also going to be the first one to start stuff in the locker room because he's a talker.  Again, all my opinion, and opinions are like a##holes everyones got one
Reply/Quote
All I know is that when you look at the 2020 NCAA Championship game, all the stars (with the exception of the Clemson hippie) are now Cincinnati Bengals. Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Moss...... Tiger Cats in college, Cats in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 05:22 AM)Amalone002 Wrote: Not sure how you don't like that quote, maybe you don't like Winners.

I'm not sure breaking rindividual records directly relates to winning, but whatever.

But while we are the topic of breaking records, looking back on guys like jerry rice, barry sanders, Tom brady, aaron rodgers, etc., can't say I recall any of them saying such things on draft day, or really any day for that matter.

Maybe just worry about helping the Bengals win first and individual records later.  Good grief.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 09:31 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I'm not sure breaking rindividual records directly relates to winning, but whatever.

But while we are the topic of breaking records, looking back on guys like jerry rice, barry sanders, Tom brady, aaron rodgers, etc., can't say I recall any of them saying such things on draft day, or really any day for that matter.

Maybe just worry about helping the Bengals win first and individual records later.  Good grief.

Breaking records means you are excelling at your position. The only way a player has to help his team win is to excel at his position. WTF
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 09:31 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I'm not sure breaking rindividual records directly relates to winning, but whatever.

I think i would've respected his comments more if he would've said something more along the lines of "I look forward to coming into the organization and help Joe lead this team back to the playoffs and win championships.  I know with my playmaking ability it will only help this offense expand what we can do against defenses".  All honest, making it about the team.  Last time I checked there's no I in team.  

When Burrow was interviewed last season I dont think i remember him saying "I look forward to breaking all of QB records of the Cincinnati Bengals".   If I remember correctly he said he looked forward to coming in and taking the team to the playoffs and competing for championships, and everyone was stoked he said that.  He was making it about the team.  
Reply/Quote
I'm glad Chase has already set a bunch of personal goals for himself, but it would be nice to hear him say he wants to help this team win a SB. Just sayin...
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 06:45 AM)Waite Hoyt Wrote: There is a chance we can resign Reiff next year. If not we can again explore a free agent with what we are paying him. We have thievrest of this years draft and next years draft to add to our OL.

Possibly, yes, but he's 32. If they get a premier IOL today, it'll take the sting out of it a bit for sure. I like Chase....just wanna make sure he has time to let routes develop.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Good grief, the kid has been a Bengal all of 12 hours and some of you are already trying to find anything to tear him down. I just can't wait to see the reactions when he's scoring touchdowns....
Reply/Quote
People love Burrow's "swagger" or whatever you want to call it, but don't like Chase having it as well? I like the kid having the confidence and having big goals.
Reply/Quote