Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chase Is A Bengal!
(04-29-2021, 10:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Chase can get open immediately. OL doesn't need to block as long.

You do understand he is a rookie and will be playing against CBs who can shut WRs down..you cant just assume Chase will get open.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 10:52 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You do understand he is a rookie and will be playing against CBs who can shut WRs down..you cant just assume Chase will get open.

They asked all the top corners in college who played against him who the toughest receiver they ever had to cover, and to a man they said JaMarr Chase. I suspect he will be fine.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 10:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And you are positive that a player who only played 1.5 seasons of college football, and hasn't played in over a year, is the next Anthony Munoz. Right.

And played in the PAC. A conference not exactly known for physicality. The AFCN is black and blue football and he would be playing out of his natural position. He might be a great player going forward, but not a great fit for us.   
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 10:56 PM)Cicero Wrote: And played in the PAC. A conference not exactly known for physicality. The AFCN is black and blue football and he would be playing out of his natural position. He might be a great player going forward, but not a great fit for us.   

LOL.  He would have been a great fit, just like Chase fills a big hole on this team.

This isn't the old AFC North.  We throw the ball a ton and having a top LT would help immensely.
Reply/Quote
Oh look, another thread derailed by the doomsayers.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 11:04 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: LOL.  He would have been a great fit, just like Chase fills a big hole on this team.

This isn't the old AFC North.  We throw the ball a ton and having a top LT would help immensely.

You realize LT is not the weakness on our line, right?
Reply/Quote
Did anyone else notice the difference in the Bengals and Lions war rooms. That’s all that needs to be said about this pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 11:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You realize LT is not the weakness on our line, right?

It's certainly not a strength at this point.  I like Jonah, but right now he hasn't done a ton to show me that he's the LT of the future here.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 11:04 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: LOL.  He would have been a great fit, just like Chase fills a big hole on this team.

Steelers, Ravens, Browns. That's black and blue football. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 11:07 PM)Cicero Wrote: Steelers, Ravens, Browns. That's black and blue football. 

Eh.  The game has changed.  Nobody lines up and smashes the ball down your throat anymore.  Everyone runs 3 WRs these days.

The challenge is matching up against the edge rushers/
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 11:09 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Eh.  The game has changed.  Nobody lines up and smashes the ball down your throat anymore.  Everyone runs 3 WRs these days.

Defensively this is still a very smash mouth division. I don't feel confident having an Oregon kid lining up out of his natural position vs any of the three other teams in our division. We need interior guys. You get those in round 2.   
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 10:19 PM)Benton Wrote: Burrow was on pace to set a new sack record by a rookie QB. He probly would've made it before he got injured by his own line.

Chase can get open immediately, that doesn't really change the problem of getting sacked in the first couple seconds after a snap.

Burrow was sacked 32 times in 10 games.

David Carr was sacked 76 times in 16 games.

Burrow was nowhere close to the rookie sack record.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 10:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Uh yeah, he was set for a sack record because he had to wait for receivers to get separation. It's not rocket science. The line is already vastly improved from last year, and they haven't even gotten to the 2nd round yet where there will be a ton of Oline talent left. 

I don't think I've ever been as high as you must have been to write this. 

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 10:08 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I hope we chose correctly.

Ja'Marr Chase is gonna ball in the NFL. Obviously we ain't one guy away, but we got better tonight, and I think we now have a home run hitter on offense for the first time since AJ Green went down almost 3 years ago.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
News flash there's more rounds to go for linemen you bunch of negative nancies. Chase is gonna ball out
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 11:14 PM)Whatever Wrote: Burrow was sacked 32 times in 10 games.

David Carr was sacked 76 times in 16 games.

Burrow was nowhere close to the rookie sack record.

Eh fair enough.

But Carr still didn't have his rookie season ended by his own line, so there is that.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 10:44 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote:   I just don't even see why Chase was so highly rated, didn't the receiver opposite of him do just as good that year at LSU?

No.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 11:09 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Eh.  The game has changed.  Nobody lines up and smashes the ball down your throat anymore.  Everyone runs 3 WRs these days.

What I find absolutely hilarious is that people reference the Steelers as some smash mouth team.  Here is where they ranked in pass attempts since 2010...

2020 - 1st
2019 - 7th
2018 - 1st
2017 - 6th
2016 - 9th
2015 - 16th
2014 - 6th
2013 - 11th
2012 - 12th
2011 - 29th
2010 - 6th

They've finished in the top half of the league every single year except for one (2011).

If you take their average rank over these 11 years it's 9th in the league!

I honestly think people confuse "having a good defense" with "smash mouth football".  Either that or people will be forever attached to the Jerome Bettis and Franco Harris Steelers, and just pretend like that's what they still do.

Facts are, no one in our division is smash mouth.  The Browns certainly aren't.  And even the Ravens, who run a ton, run a pretty modern zone read, mobile QB offense.
Reply/Quote
True smash.mouth uses a FB on at least 10 to 20 snaps a game This isnt 1997 anymore
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 11:22 PM)Benton Wrote: Eh fair enough.

But Carr still didn't have his rookie season ended by his own line, so there is that.

Hmmmm.....  Maybe that's why he turned into a dink and dunk game manager?
Reply/Quote