Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chase v Sewell
Don't know how familiar people are with Bob McGinn's draft previews, he basically has been interviewing scouts for the draft for 37 years and polls them as to who the best prospects are at each position. They are highly respected and well worth a read (they're on the Athletic, first one on WR and TE was today)

The thing that jumped out to me what was that they had Chase as the first unanimous choice at WR since Megatron in 2007.

That seems all the more impressive with 2 other WRs potentially going top 10, so it's not exactly a weak WR class.

Will be interesting to see where Sewell comes in for OTs. There seem to be a few who draftheads who prefer Slater as the more technically polished.

Also on the Athletic Bruce Feldman had a good piece speaking to draft evaluators. In contrast to Chase, who sources said would have been the best WR in last year's draft, they were suggesting that Andrew Thomas and Jedrick Willis were both better prospects last year than Sewell. This scout was concerned about Sewell's length and said they thought he could be an elite guard but not a great tackle.

It seems the BPA choice at 5 would seemingly now be Chase (or Pitts, who should really be a bigger part of this conversation) rather than Sewell, who has dropped back a little as evaluations have delved deeper.

Either way, the Bengals are going to get better.
One week and this place is going to get dull.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-21-2021, 02:05 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Don't know how familiar people are with Bob McGinn's draft previews, he basically has been interviewing scouts for the draft for 37 years and polls them as to who the best prospects are at each position. They are highly respected and well worth a read (they're on the Athletic, first one on WR and TE was today)

The thing that jumped out to me what was that they had Chase as the first unanimous choice at WR since Megatron in 2007.

That seems all the more impressive with 2 other WRs potentially going top 10, so it's not exactly a weak WR class.

Will be interesting to see where Sewell comes in for OTs. There seem to be a few who draftheads who prefer Slater as the more technically polished.

Also on the Athletic Bruce Feldman had a good piece speaking to draft evaluators. In contrast to Chase, who sources said would have been the best WR in last year's draft, they were suggesting that Andrew Thomas and Jedrick Willis were both better prospects last year than Sewell. This scout was concerned about Sewell's length and said they thought he could be an elite guard but not a great tackle.

It seems the BPA choice at 5 would seemingly now be Chase (or Pitts, who should really be a bigger part of this conversation) rather than Sewell, who has dropped back a little as evaluations have delved deeper.

It is going to be Chase, I am about 99%.  Especially after what Tobin indicated today in his interview.  They do not want a "project" they want a starter abled athlete from day one.  Sewell is considered a project because 1- he may need to play guard, which is some work, 2-he would play on RT which is different from LT.   
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

(04-21-2021, 02:38 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: One week and this place is going to get dull.

Child please... This absolute steal of a stub that we're gonna draft in the 6th round will be all the rage by then.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(04-21-2021, 02:05 PM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: Don't know how familiar people are with Bob McGinn's draft previews, he basically has been interviewing scouts for the draft for 37 years and polls them as to who the best prospects are at each position. They are highly respected and well worth a read (they're on the Athletic, first one on WR and TE was today)

Your last sentence says it all... If Sewell projects as a badass G, that's cool too. We need one. We need a badass outside WR too. Win/ win...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Ok..... name all the 1st round busts that were OTs..... Jason Smith, Tony Mandarich...... Now name the whole graveyard of 1st round receiver busts.... Mike Williams, John Ross, Corey Coleman, Kevin White, David Terrell, Justin Blackman, Peter Warwick...... you get the picture? Take the sure fire thing! The amount of first round bust for WR might be as bad as the QB list. Oh btw, remember when we wanted a WR so badly in that weak WR draft of 2016 Laquan Treadwell, Docston, Coleman, Fuller (Thank goodness we passed and got William Jackson) 3 of them are busts.
if these 2 are fighting i put my money on the OL guy

Whoever they go with in 1.... needs to be on the field day 1. and play all 16 games... (having trouble remembering our last 1st rounder to do so lol)
(04-21-2021, 02:51 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It is going to be Chase, I am about 99%.  Especially after what Tobin indicated today in his interview.  They do not want a "project" they want a starter abled athlete from day one.  Sewell is considered a project because 1- he may need to play guard, which is some work, 2-he would play on RT which is different from LT.   

LOL.  Come on.  You can't take anything from an interview with a GM before the draft.

If the guy that won the Outland at 19 as the only sophomore ever is a project,  then the 1 year wonder at WR is going to need some work as well.

I just don't buy that Pitts, Sewell and Chase are going to be projects.  They should all step in and contribute day 1.
(04-21-2021, 02:05 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Don't know how familiar people are with Bob McGinn's draft previews, he basically has been interviewing scouts for the draft for 37 years and polls them as to who the best prospects are at each position. They are highly respected and well worth a read (they're on the Athletic, first one on WR and TE was today)

My humble opinion is Chase will be a good WR but not excellent/great.. I believe his lack of height under 6'1 will end up separating him from the great WRs....   time will tell... 

In my opinion  no way Sewell is a project.. whoever drafts him , he will be starting day 1. 
(04-21-2021, 03:06 PM)Yogo Wrote: Ok..... name all the 1st round busts that were OTs..... Jason Smith, Tony Mandarich......  Now name the whole graveyard of 1st round receiver busts.... Mike Williams, John Ross, Corey Coleman, Kevin White, David Terrell, Justin Blackman, Peter Warwick...... you get the picture?  Take the sure fire thing!  The amount of first round bust for WR might be as bad as the QB list.  Oh btw, remember when we wanted a WR so badly in that weak WR draft of 2016 Laquan Treadwell, Docston, Coleman, Fuller (Thank goodness we passed and got William Jackson)  3 of them are busts.
Ced 
(04-21-2021, 03:57 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: My humble opinion is Chase will be a good WR but not excellent/great.. I believe his lack of height under 6'1 will end up separating him from the great WRs....   time will tell... 

In my opinion  no way Sewell is a project.. whoever drafts him , he will be starting day 1. 

AB and tyreek disagree. 
(04-21-2021, 03:06 PM)Yogo Wrote: Ok..... name all the 1st round busts that were OTs..... Jason Smith, Tony Mandarich......  Now name the whole graveyard of 1st round receiver busts.... Mike Williams, John Ross, Corey Coleman, Kevin White, David Terrell, Justin Blackman, Peter Warwick...... you get the picture?  Take the sure fire thing!  The amount of first round bust for WR might be as bad as the QB list.  Oh btw, remember when we wanted a WR so badly in that weak WR draft of 2016 Laquan Treadwell, Docston, Coleman, Fuller (Thank goodness we passed and got William Jackson)  3 of them are busts.

I mean we could name a few OT bust from Bengals drafts alone but yea let's pretend that we have an amazing track record of first round OTs.  Hilarious
(04-21-2021, 04:20 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: I mean we could name a few OT bust from Bengals drafts alone but yea let's pretend that we have an amazing track record of first round OTs.  Hilarious

There's a significant difference between a #5 pick and picks in the 20s.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Take Chase who is a premier talent and already has a proven connection with Burrow. Then take the best o-line available mainly to serve as interior and can swing to T if need be if God forbid there is an injury. Plan to shore up tackle position next year in FA or draft if Reiff decides to get out of dodge.
(04-21-2021, 04:32 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: There's a significant difference between a #5 pick and picks in the 20s.

Yeah we got Andre Smith around #5 last time.

But our Best OT in the last 2 decades was a 2nd rounder.

its just a matter of drafting the right players or if we feel there is a lot of those pick up more picks for more players.

unfortunately we wont know the Right answer for a few years lol

This is the truth. I am in the build up the OL as much as possible including Sewell camp, but there is no way we dont improve on the offense with a WR the likes of Chase. It just is what it is. 
(04-21-2021, 04:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Yeah we got Andre Smith around #5 last time.

its just a matter of drafting the right players or   if we feel there is a lot of those pick up more picks for more players.

Yeah, it didn't matter that the Browns had Joe Thomas or that the Lions had Calvin Johnson since both teams blew tons of picks after they each hit a home run. Sewell or Chase are just the first piece of the puzzle.
(04-21-2021, 04:37 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Take Chase who is a premier talent and already has a proven connection with Burrow. Then take the best o-line available mainly to serve as interior and can swing to T if need be if God forbid there is an injury.  Plan to shore up tackle position next year in FA or draft if Reiff decides to get out of dodge.

(04-21-2021, 04:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Yeah we got Andre Smith around #5 last time.

its just a matter of drafting the right players or   if we feel there is a lot of those pick up more picks for more players.

Wasn't that the year that basically every OT taken high was pretty bad? Andre Smith was the best of them all but even he only had a couple good seasons and the rest were mediocre at best. Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe were total bust if my memory is correct.

That draft alone is an example of what he acted like never happened with OTs.
(04-21-2021, 05:56 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Wasn't that the year that basically every OT taken high was pretty bad? Andre Smith was the best of them all but even he only had a couple good seasons and the rest were mediocre at best. Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe were total bust if my memory is correct.

That draft alone is an example of what he acted like never happened with OTs.

Monroe was ok for a little bit. I think one of his knees developed arthritis after a few years in the league. 

Jason Smith though, oof. 
(04-21-2021, 02:51 PM)jason Wrote: Child please... This absolute steal of a stub that we're gonna draft in the 6th round will be all the rage by then.

or how this is Sample's season to shine.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]