Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase young is back
(12-05-2019, 09:17 PM)Synric Wrote: One play doesnt represent the whole game. He got shut out face it. All pass rushers get shut out it happens. Michigan had a decent plan for him but they still had to plan for him.

I mean if u consider 5 qb pressures a 12.4 percent pressure rate a 17.1 percent pass rush win rate shut out i mean I guess?
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 03:31 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I mean if u consider 5 qb pressures a 12.4 percent pressure rate a 17.1 percent pass rush win rate shut out i mean I guess?

A shutout is not recording anything statistically so yes he was shutout. 

Also he recorded 2 pressures both of them were QB hits on 43 passing attempts that is 4% pressure rate. Like I said Michigan had a good plan for him but they still had to plan for him.

Quote:2. Chase Young wasn’t an issue for Michigan

The huge question headed into this game for the Michigan offense was how they could deal with the best defensive player in the country, Ohio State defensive end Chase Young. Well, Michigan handled him with ease honestly. They held him to just two QB hits overall. That’s right, no recorded tackles or sacks. Young applied pressure on two passes but never recorded a tackle or sack.

https://wolverineswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/30/michigan-football-5-takeaways-against-ohio-state/
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 05:32 PM)Synric Wrote: A shutout is not recording anything statistically so yes he was shutout. 

Also he recorded 2 pressures both of them were QB hits on 43 passing attempts that is 4% pressure rate. Like I said Michigan had a good plan for him but they still had to plan for him.

https://wolverineswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/30/michigan-football-5-takeaways-against-ohio-state/

Runyan was no slouch coming into the year, he has had an up and down year but when he is on he is a really good pass blocking tackle. It also didn't hurt that they sent help from inside and out constantly forcing Young to keep his head on a swivel for the double team.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 05:32 PM)Synric Wrote: A shutout is not recording anything statistically so yes he was shutout. 

Yep. Traditionally, pressures aren't counted in statistics. All that's counted are tackles, TFLs, sacks, PBUs, INTs, FFs.
Pressures are good but aren't as good as any of the above stats because it means you only got close but not close enough.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 05:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep. Traditionally, pressures aren't counted in statistics. All that's counted are tackles, TFLs, sacks, PBUs, INTs, FFs.
Pressures are good but aren't as good as any of the above stats because it means you only got close but not close enough.

Meh, the analytics guy in me disagrees. Pressures are a better true indicator of pass rush success than sacks. Sacks are as much a stat of opportunity and luck as it is to effectiveness. There are many sacks where the pressure, or simply bad pocket awareness, ran the QB into the defender with little accomplished by said defender. The other thing is pressures often force bad throws that directly result in interceptions. To be fair though, the analytics community values tackles for loss a lot more than the general public and front offices so it is what it is.

The analytics community values sacks more than the general public but to the premise of this discussion, yes he was shutout. 
Reply/Quote
I'm not saying Chase had a bad game against Michigan he didnt. He was a force on the edge in the run game they could not move him and he forced the Michigan RB back inside alot or they ran away from him. He gave both tackles all they could handle and had at least 1 play that should have been a penalty.

He is so good Michigan had to game plan against him.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Honestly I'm still torn between Chase Young and Joe Burrow if the Bengals get the #1OA. I think everyone should be...

Reply/Quote

Never trust a Michigan website

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1201270505002668038?s=20
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 07:33 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Never trust a Michigan website

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1201270505002668038?s=20

Would you trust a THE Ohio State University website? Because tOSU credited Young with 2 hurries, not five. And not sure how PFF came up with a pressure rate of 12.2% for 5 hurries on 43 pass attempts, but 2 hurries, 0 sacks, and 0 tackles on 43 pass attempts is a pressure rate of 4.7%.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/roster/chase-young/
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 11:19 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Would you trust a THE Ohio State University website? Because tOSU credited Young with 2 hurries, not five. And not sure how PFF came up with a pressure rate of 12.2% for 5 hurries on 43 pass attempts, but 2 hurries, 0 sacks, and 0 tackles on 43 pass attempts is a pressure rate of 4.7%.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/roster/chase-young/

I’m trusting pff over all as a resource.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 05:51 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I’m trusting pff over all as a resource.

Except when you claim PFF is garbage?
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 05:13 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Except when you claim PFF is garbage?

It’s a resource. And grades can sometimes be garbage. But pressures, hurries that sort of thing? It’s a great resource
Reply/Quote
Young has such a proven College Career ... more and more Def Ends are changing the game.. I have no problem picking him #1..
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2019, 01:28 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Young has such a proven College Career ... more and more Def Ends are changing the game.. I have no problem picking him #1..

So are the young QB’s. Right now 4/5 of the best QB’s in the league are on their rookie contracts: Mahomes, Jackson, Dak, Watson...

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 08:24 AM)Jpoore Wrote: The best player in college football in my lifetime is back and will have 3 prime time matchups vs psu, Michigan, big ten championship game). Should add another 10 sacks or so.

As bad as your QB evaluations are, your predictions are worse.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2019, 01:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So are the young QB’s. Right now 4/5 of the best QB’s in the league are on their rookie contracts: Mahomes, Jackson, Dak, Watson...

I would not put Dak in the group... and QBs are not a new thing being important but the change in offenses have made pressing the QB even more important in today's game and this is why DE have seemed to become the most important position on Defense... if we pass on Young for a QB I understand but I still prefer moving back and picking Herbert or Tua and get extra picks...
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 08:24 AM)Jpoore Wrote: The best player in college football in my lifetime is back and will have 3 prime time matchups vs psu, Michigan, big ten championship game). Should add another 10 sacks or so.

Wondering if you still feel this way as it turns out that Young wasn’t even the best college player this season much less in your lifetime. Burrow dominated in his semi final game (and all season) while Young had very little, if any, impact in his semi final game. I originally wanted them to take Young but now it is clear that Burrow should be the pick.

You can make a strong argument that Burrow had the best college season ever.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 08:34 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would not put Dak in the group... and QBs are not a new thing being important but the change in offenses have made pressing the QB even more important in today's game and this is why DE have seemed to become the most important position on Defense... if we pass on Young for a QB I understand but I still prefer moving back and picking Herbert or Tua and get extra picks...

Dak was absolutely one of the best QB’s in the league this year. Don’t believe me, just look up the stats.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 10:44 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Wondering if you still feel this way as it turns out that Young wasn’t even the best college player this season much less in your lifetime. Burrow dominated in his semi final game (and all season) while Young had very little, if any, impact in his semi final game. I originally wanted them to take Young but now it is clear that Burrow should be the pick.

You can make a strong argument that Burrow had the best college season ever.

Clemson doubled Chase Young the entire game, and were chipping him with RBs to boot. That won't work in the NFL. I've fully come over to the side of drafting Burrow, but whoever ends up with Young will be glad they did.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 09:35 AM)jason Wrote: Clemson doubled Chase Young the entire game, and were chipping him with RBs to boot. That won't work in the NFL. I've fully come over to the side of drafting Burrow, but whoever ends up with Young will be glad they did.

Young seen some chipping and a few double teams but actually Jackson Carman held his own against Chase Young. As a sophomore Carman is one of the better tackles in college and a former 5 star recruit. I believe he was the first or second best tackle in his recruiting class. 

Reply/Quote