Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chief's PS game
(08-11-2019, 01:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m sure if Dalton made that throw you’d be giving all the credit to Taylor...

And yes, Andy Reid hasn’t done much in the playoffs so far. That’s why they drafted Mahomes when they already had a decent starter in Alex Smith. And guess what? Mahomes won a playoff game in his first full season, and were only beat by the eventual SB winning Pats.

I wouldnt be giving credit to any on the Bengals it was a broken coverage that lead to a wide open receiver Dalton noticed it late which caused an underthrow.

As for Andy Reid his playoff chokes go back alot further than Alex Smith.

If you wanna talk about Dalton how about converting 3 3rd downs passing and a really nice 25+ back shoulder throw to Auden Tate?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 01:40 PM)Synric Wrote: What was pretty was the play design. 

It was a rub play that created a step for Kelce over Williams that turned into a Wheel route that added another 2 or 3 steps because Shawn was trying to make up that step on what looked like a 15 yard out.

Andy Reid is really really good...too bad his teams always choke in the playoffs.

I'm not sure that I would classify that AFCCG as a "choke".  They showed a hell of a lot of heart, scoring 24 4th quarter points, only to fall to the World Champions in overtime.  That's a gutsy performance, by any standard.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 02:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not sure that I would classify that AFCCG as a "choke".  They showed a hell of a lot of heart, scoring 24 4th quarter points, only to fall to the World Champions in overtime.  That's a gutsy performance, by any standard.

Plus Mahommes was, by our standard, still just a rookie. 
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 02:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Plus Mahommes was, by our standard, still just a rookie. 

No, by this boards standards, Mahommes is a bum because he missed an open receiver and didn't hit someone between the numbers a time or two. Add by this boards standards, Larry Fitzgerald is mostly a rookie...new coaches and all. 
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 10:01 AM)Sled21 Wrote: First game of the pre-season, Andy is not used to recievers not named Green or Boyd generating separation, and they still took it down and scored on the 1st series. I'll take it.

That's not nearly a legitimate excuse. He's been in the league going on his 9th year. QBs don't look to see what receiver they're throwing to. WRs run designated routes and there's a primary, secondary and so on for each play. Even then, before the ball is snapped, if the defense shows something, the QB will then determine who his primarey target is going to be. He throws to the route that should have the most success based on the defense, not the receiver running the route. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 10:11 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yep. AD doesn’t deserve the criticism he receives sometimes. Learning receivers is not a flip the switch task many expect it to be. Exactly why these PS games are played, and like many others on here, I feel the game went much better than the final score.

We did get to witness a lot of mistakes that need addressed and they will fix those things. No reason for anyone to be discouraged just yet. The coaches have a pretty full plate but still plenty of time till regular season hits.

But QBs don't necessarily need to "learn" WRs. You'll hear coachspeak that says "they have to get their timing down". What that means is, the WR needs to learn to run the route correctly and get to his spot in the designated time. 

In some cases, when you have a guy with Ross' speed, the QB will have to adjust his release time on a go route because a dude like that is going to get down field quicker. 

That miss to Malone last night was just a bad throw. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 11:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: 2 things on the tangent:

Andy had a fine series

Let's not pretend that missed pass was nothing.

That's exactly the way it should be looked at. No more, no less. 

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:19 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I hope Lou Anarumo is renting his place in Cincinnati.  I’m not sure buying is his best option right now.

I expected better & still do.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 11:32 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Those are a lot of times the margin between winning and losing.

Good teams hit those throws.

That throw is not the end of the world in this circumstance, but if it happens at the end of a playoff or prime time game with 13 seconds left and the Bengals down by 4...

Kind of like what happened in the 2nd Houston playoff game.  Cool

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Watching that play unfold, I tend to believe him.  It did look like Malone caught his eye unexpectedly, and he rushed to make the throw before the window closed.  

DAmmit...i hate to keep going on like this is a Dalton thread...

That's the kind of excuse that just doesn't fly. A QB sees a wide open receiver, with plenty of room to spare (he was open by 5 or 6 yds btw) and he says he was "surprised and didn't expect it" I call major BS on that. There's no way on this green earth he should ever be "suprised" by a receiever being open. That's a red flag raiser and a lame excuse. 

Ok, back to the PS game thread.  Ninja

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:04 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Games wasn't on the TV here until 3AM on NFL Network, so I recorded and just finished watching it.

I didn't see any of that special new coaching that's fixing everything, and that was our full playbook? It looked like last year's team out there. The younger WRs did look better than in the regular season last year, which is probably the only improvement I saw.

Punt returns were awful with 3 muffs and two turnovers leading to 2 scores for Chiefs. Yuck. Erickson back to punt return duty please!

Getting blown out by 3 TDs is just a bad performance all around.

I saw a backup G out there playing LT and giving a free pass to a rusher. Is that our depth at LT? Andre just isn't a LT.

Sample has bricks for hands. Did Washington use him correctly by limiting his targets? Did we just spend a 2nd round pick on a blocking TE?

Phillips might be quick and fast, but securing the ball is the first thing you have to do when returning punts.

Driskel actually looked worse than in the regular season last year. Yes, it is possible. We need to see Jake Dolegala next week and the next and the next to see if he should be the 3rd QB on the 53 man roster. Finley was clearly better than Driskel.

This Ellis kid could be our 4th RB come the regular season.

Very first game with an almost entire new staff and the way they do things. That's going to take a couple games to iron out the kinks. The offense is different and the run game was VERY vanilla. 

The red part: that was sarcasm. I'm guessing you didn't read all of that thread. 

Defense and special teams were pure ass and a whole lot of backups didn't look good at all. 

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 10:18 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's disturbing that guys like Billings look out of shape.

I wonder if doing an 'easier' training camp schedule is hurting this team. IF we were the Patriots, that's one thing. We're not.

Man he sure looked fat and slow.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:16 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You need to watch more games of other teams. I have seen Ben Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Mahomes, Montana and a lot of great QB's miss throws short (under thrown) and long (over thrown), left and right too. I have yet to see a QB with a completion % of 100%. How about you?

How is that even relevant? Every guy you named has won playoff games and only one of them hasn't won a Super Bowl. When it's all said and done, at least 4 of them will be in the HOF. 

Everyone knows QBs miss throws. When you've missed one in a playoff game and you've never made one; if you blatantly miss--even in the preseason--it's going to be brought up.

Do you think it would have been brought up if he had hit throws like that in big moments? INb4 you say "yes, cause...haters". Maybe in passing but it wouldn't be nearly the concern. 

Reply/Quote
First team Offense was good, Dalton was spot on except the one throw he would take back.

Traveon is badazz.

Morgan and Tate are who I want in this Receiving corps.

Lou needs to get this Defense tackling.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:26 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s right.  I would have Jack Del Rio on speed dial just in case.  Anyway, let’s give Lou another week to get the defense in position but keep in mind giving up 30+ points is getting dangerously close to Teryl Austin-caliber incompetence.

Why have him on speed dial? Apparently, he wanted the job and the Bengals decided to go another way. 

Reply/Quote
This is going about how I expected.

Here are my thoughts:
1) Andy took essentially a second-string offense and drove them down the field for a long TD drive. Outside of Boyd and the already lambasted offensive line how many of those guys do you think are actually going to start for most of the season? No Green, no Mixon, no Gio, no Eifert, brand new offensive coordinator... and no problem. If your QB can take a bunch of guys who will be 3rd and 4th down the field against a first team defense, that's a good sign. They're going to be able to score.
2) Yes, Andy under threw Malone. It was one bad pass in his first pre-season game, I think we can get over it.
3) I'm not ready to panic over the running game when we were using a bunch of guys who probably won't make the team. I expected a bit more out of Trayveon Williams, but it was a rookie starting against an NFL defense for the first time.
4) Defense was bad. If they look that bad against Washington or New York my concern will increase, but KC makes a lot of teams look bad on defense (and their offense is basically a nightmare scenario for our defense anyways). I'd give them an F, but I don't think they're doomed for the year just yet either.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He also had 5k yds and 50 TD’s. When Dalton can do that I’ll give him a lot more slack on the occasional miscue.

And won a playoff game. 

I don't know why people have such a hard time understanding this. 

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You are not getting grief for hating on AD in one post, you whine and whine and whine some more about him.

#quitfeeedingtheADtroll

The actual whining comes from people who can't stand to hear anything negative (see: factual) about the QB14. 

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 03:08 PM)NKURyan Wrote: This is going about how I expected.

Here are my thoughts:
1) Andy took essentially a second-string offense and drove them down the field for a long TD drive. Outside of Boyd and the already lambasted offensive line how many of those guys do you think are actually going to start for most of the season? No Green, no Mixon, no Gio, no Eifert, brand new offensive coordinator... and no problem. If your QB can take a bunch of guys who will be 3rd and 4th down the field against a first team defense, that's a good sign. They're going to be able to score.
2) Yes, Andy under threw Malone. It was one bad pass in his first pre-season game, I think we can get over it.
3) I'm not ready to panic over the running game when we were using a bunch of guys who probably won't make the team. I expected a bit more out of Trayveon Williams, but it was a rookie starting against an NFL defense for the first time.
4) Defense was bad. If they look that bad against Washington or New York my concern will increase, but KC makes a lot of teams look bad on defense (and their offense is basically a nightmare scenario for our defense anyways). I'd give them an F, but I don't think they're doomed for the year just yet either.

Nice thoughts.

Bottom line is the Defense needs to learn how to tackle.

Couldn't get a better test in the Preseason against the Chiefs in KC.
Reply/Quote
With all this Oline shuffling they are going I hope they take a look at Price at one of the guard spots. Hopkins is much better at center than any other player (currently slotted) is at guard.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote