Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choose the next Federal Holiday
As of today 12/29/2015 we have 10 Federal Holidays:

New Years Day
MLK Day
Washington's Birthday (not Presidents Day)
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Columbus Day
Veteran's Day
Thanksgiving Day
Christmas

Your goal is to expand it to 11. You can simply add 1 or replace up to 3 and add one.

You must explain why you added your Holiday and why you abolished one (if you do).
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Labour day needs abolished - Communist holiday.

Replace it with voting day . So there is no excuse to not go to the polls. And we can therefore drop early voting and just vote on 1 day.

My extra one would be a war rememberence. Either civil/ independence/ or one of the world wars.
I would replace MLK day with Confederate Memorial Day….

OK, I’m playing;
I would replace MLK day with Civil Rights Day.  This Holiday would fall in early April (Civil Rights act of 1866 enacted Apr 9).  This holiday would commemorate equality of all and not seem slanted toward race.

I would replace Christmas with Peace Day, This would be a day of peace and a chance for all to celebrate in their own way.  The date would remain DEC 25 just to keep the Holiday Season 

I would add Election Day. First Tuesday of November.

I like the ideas of Peace Day and Civil Rights Day. Since I have two other replacements, though, I am just going to go with the CRD since MLK would honestly hate that a day was named after him and prefer it to be CRD. I had this discussion with a pastor I knew (he passed away last week) who went to seminary with, and was a friend of MLK.

Thanksgiving and Columbus Day can go. They are bullshit. Thanksgiving can be replaced with a holiday on 04 May celebrating the founding of the first permanent settlement here. Columbus Day can be replaced by Indigenous People Day.

Now that those are out of the way, I am having a hard time with an additional one. I suppose Election Day, but I am also a proponent of changing the day for that anyway. Tuesday is such a crap day for it. Make it a Monday or Friday, give people a three day weekend.
(12-30-2015, 12:57 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I suppose Election Day, but I am also a proponent of changing the day for that anyway. Tuesday is such a crap day for it. Make it a Monday or Friday, give people a three day weekend.

Election Day should definitely be moved to Friday. This allows you to vote during the day and celebrate/commiserate with like-minded in the evening as you watch the polls.  

I like the idea of having a Voting Day and replacing ML King Day with Civil Rights Day. In fact, besides St. Lucie's 'communist' swipe, I wouldn't mind seeing Voting Day and Labor Day combined.

Dang! Now that you Righties are being so sane and reasonable, I'm gonna have to throw out my joke suggestions ("Welcome An Arab to America Day!" or "Monica Lewinsky Day", where you have oral sex with anyone you want and just claim that it was not really "sexual relations"). Sad
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(12-30-2015, 12:57 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I like the ideas of Peace Day and Civil Rights Day. Since I have two other replacements, though, I am just going to go with the CRD since MLK would honestly hate that a day was named after him and prefer it to be CRD. I had this discussion with a pastor I knew (he passed away last week) who went to seminary with, and was a friend of MLK.

Thanksgiving and Columbus Day can go. They are bullshit. Thanksgiving can be replaced with a holiday on 04 May celebrating the founding of the first permanent settlement here. Columbus Day can be replaced by Indigenous People Day.

Now that those are out of the way, I am having a hard time with an additional one. I suppose Election Day, but I am also a proponent of changing the day for that anyway. Tuesday is such a crap day for it. Make it a Monday or Friday, give people a three day weekend.

No. You can't take my Thanksgiving Day! But don't worry, the retailers are taking it away for you.

I'm hearing you on the Columbus Day. A lot of Native peoples are pretty sensitive about that one. Maybe we should just change it to "White Folk Can Really Suck Sometimes" Day?
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
A suggestion I would make is to combine Memorial Day and Veterans Day; simply call it Armed Services Day. This holiday will be celebrated on the day Memorial Day traditionally is.

I would take the freed up spot and create First Responders Day. This day would be celebrated on September 11

It's clear none of you live in areas with a notable hispanic population. It'll be Cesar Chavez Day, a lot of government employees in CA already get it off or will by 2017.
(12-30-2015, 02:10 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's clear none of you live in areas with a notable hispanic population. It'll be Cesar Chavez Day, a lot of government employees in CA already get it off or will by 2017.

There is a pretty sizeable Hispanic population here, but they know their place around these parts. Ninja
(12-30-2015, 01:54 AM)bfine32 Wrote: A suggestion I would make is to combine Memorial Day and Veterans Day; simply call it Armed Services Day. This holiday will be celebrated on the day Memorial Day traditionally is.

I would take the freed up spot and create First Responders Day. This day would be celebrated on September 11

This has been brought up before by friends and I waffle on it. Sometimes I like it, other times I think it is an important distinction to make to have separate days for those who were killed and those still with us. That being said, I think making Memorial Day to be about ALL of those who have given their lives in service, not just the military, might be a good route to take.
(12-30-2015, 01:54 AM)bfine32 Wrote: A suggestion I would make is to combine Memorial Day and Veterans Day; simply call it Armed Services Day. This holiday will be celebrated on the day Memorial Day traditionally is.

(12-30-2015, 09:28 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This has been brought up before by friends and I waffle on it. Sometimes I like it, other times I think it is an important distinction to make to have separate days for those who were killed and those still with us. That being said, I think making Memorial Day to be about ALL of those who have given their lives in service, not just the military, might be a good route to take.

There is something to be said about combining Vets and Memorial Day, because many times the distinction is not made.

Not a Memorial Day goes by when people are thanking Veterans that are alive for their service rather than thanking or expressing their appreciation for those who have fought and died...I've heard it on the radio and in person. Guarantee you'll hear it on this message board come Memorial Day.
Its almost as if we have 2 Veterans Days.
Thanksgiving stays.
Columus Day is bogus. He landed somewhere in the Caribbean. North America may have already been discovered by the Vikings much earlier.

The debate over whether the earth was round or flat when Columbus sailed is a myth. It had already been established that the earth was round.
All they had to do was look at the moon and sun.
(12-30-2015, 12:11 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I would replace MLK day with Confederate Memorial Day….

OK, I’m playing;
I would replace MLK day with Civil Rights Day.  This Holiday would fall in early April (Civil Rights act of 1866 enacted Apr 9).  This holiday would commemorate equality of all and not seem slanted toward race.

I would replace Christmas with Peace Day, This would be a day of peace and a chance for all to celebrate in their own way.  The date would remain DEC 25 just to keep the Holiday Season 

I would add Election Day. First Tuesday of November.

Peace Day? And see this adornning homes and businesses instead of the Christmas star, candy canes, and reindeer lol?
No thanks.

[Image: 9q8sxt.jpg]
(12-30-2015, 01:40 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: No. You can't take my Thanksgiving Day! But don't worry, the retailers are taking it away for you.

I'm hearing you on the Columbus Day. A lot of Native peoples are pretty sensitive about that one. Maybe we should just change it to "White Folk Can Really Suck Sometimes" Day?

Oh geez, you're one of those people.

Lets just have a "White Guilt Day".
Get rid of Columbus Day. We are a more intelligent group of people (I hope) than to be celebrating a mass murderer that didn't actually discover the Americas and didn't actually prove that the Earth was round (this was proven almost 2000 years earlier). No one even celebrates it. It serves no purpose. What is the point?

I agree with those that suggested Election Day. That's what I'd replace it with.

As for adding one? How about legitimizing Halloween? Everyone loves it and 95% of the citizens of the country recognize it. I know it doesn't have a big meaning behind it like some of the others do (Memorial Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.), but most have become commercialized with an only-in-it-for-the-celebration attitude anyway. You're celebrating fall, children having fun, and candy with Halloween. Those are three pretty awesome things.

I liked the suggestion of changing MLK day to Civil Rights Day as well.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(12-30-2015, 11:06 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Get rid of Columbus Day.  We are a more intelligent group of people (I hope) than to be celebrating a mass murderer that didn't actually discover the Americas and didn't actually prove that the Earth was round (this was proven almost 2000 years earlier).  No one even celebrates it.  It serves no purpose.  What is the point?

I agree with those that suggested Election Day.  That's what I'd replace it with.

As for adding one?  How about legitimizing Halloween?  Everyone loves it and 95% of the citizens of the country recognize it.  I know it doesn't have a big meaning behind it like some of the others do (Memorial Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.), but most have become commercialized with an only-in-it-for-the-celebration attitude anyway.  You're celebrating fall, children having fun, and candy with Halloween.  Those are three pretty awesome things.

I liked the suggestion of changing MLK day to Civil Rights Day as well.

Yes, spawned from a Christian holy day with pagan inflences that the majority of Americans love.

Except for Jews and Arabs, who are forbidden to partake. And you know the mantra coming from the left these days, lets not offend anyone and the minority rules.

God forbid another Christian rooted holiday besides Christmas.
Halloween as a national holiday aint happenin.
(12-30-2015, 11:32 AM)Vlad Wrote: Yes, spawned from a Christian holy day with pagan inflences that the majority of Americans love.

Except for Jews and Arabs, who are forbidden to partake. And you know the mantra coming from the left these days, lets not offend anyone and the minority rules.

Yes...those poor, poor Christians are so oppressed.  With only one national holiday!  The nerve!

Must be because all those non-christians are elected office?

Cool
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-30-2015, 11:32 AM)Vlad Wrote: Yes, spawned from a Christian holy day with pagan inflences that the majority of Americans love.

I know that it isn't going to happen, but neither are any other suggestions in this thread.  Well, I think the Election Day movement is gaining steam, but whatever.

As for making it an observed federal holiday due to its Christian roots....no.  Only a very small amount of people celebrate its Christian background and I would guess at least half of all Christians do not even know of its true origins.  I would bet there are actually more Christians who are anti-Halloween due to its pagan background than there are Christians who celebrate it for its Christian background.

Religion has zero reason why it should or shouldn't be a federal holiday. 
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(12-30-2015, 10:38 AM)Vlad Wrote: There is something to be said about combining Vets and Memorial Day, because many times the distinction is not made.

Not a Memorial Day goes by when people are thanking Veterans that are alive for their service rather than thanking or expressing their appreciation for those who have fought and died...I've heard it on the radio and in person. Guarantee you'll hear it on this message board come Memorial Day.
Its almost as if we have 2 Veterans Days.
I tend to honor both, on both days.
Honoring the living Vets on Memorial Day makes sense to me, as they help carry many of the memories of those who have passed, and live with the sadness of losing their comrades. 
On Veteran's day I honor both, as live and dead will ALWAYS be Veterans.
Criticize me if you want,  but that is how was raised and how I will always feel.