Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chris Carter has been impressive
(12-04-2015, 04:27 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ok, you've done more OL research than I have so throw out some names to compare him too. Who in your opinion came into the league with similar athleticism and "potential" and completely flopped. You may very well be right about him, but I need some comparisons. I don't know too much about the subtle differences between players at the tackle position, so its hard for me to judge who is good and who is better.

If you had to give a percentage chance that OgB lives up to his "potential", what would you give him? 

He's a rare athlete so that's hard to really compare all the time.
Bruce Campbell would be one. 

But it comes down to the other things I mentioned. 
Can he build his core strength and lower body up?
Will he be able to fix his hand placement and punch timing? 
Can he transition to the left side from the right? 

A lot of the other athletic OTs had everything else going for them and being an athlete was just a bonus, not what their skills hinged on.
Matt Kalil, the maligned LT for Minnesota is a prime example of a comparable "skill set" with Ogbuehi. 
It's taking Joeckel and Matthews (the other TAMU OTs) 2+ years to figure much of anything out in the NFL. 

He's never going to be a mean nasty blocker, it's just not who he is. That's fine. But he has to get his technique down perfectly. 
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 02:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He's been better than Ogbuehi and Carter combined. Of course, I'm sure some still think taking back-to-back tackles was brilliant.

In the long run 2 starting tackles will be way more valuable than a starting outside edge rusher.  We're not talking about a top 15 middle LB like Luke Kechley (sp.) for crying out loud.  I don't think Duepree will become a 3 down player for a career.  Even so, 2 tackles is much more valuable long term.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Besides his pass rushing abilities I like Carter because he can also back up and play coverage as he was trained as a LB. He also has the speed to chase a QB or RB. Valuable skill set.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote