Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Chris Evans
(10-26-2022, 04:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: All I know is that I miss having a true do-it-all 3rd down, change of pace back like Gio Bernard.  Prior to getting beat up over the years, he was as effective running between the tackles as he was in space, and how he stone a blitzing LB in his tracks when it came to pass protecting.

He was Jay Grudens dream back to compliment the Law Firm and stated he would be drafting a back just like Gio that year. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Mixon appears to have a pretty big cap hit still next year if cut. As such, I’ve assumed the bengals ride him one more year after this season but use an early draft pick this year (rd 1 or rd 2) to draft his replacement (kind of like they may be doing with Dax and Bates)
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 08:01 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Would you rather I compare their professional stats ? 

I mean do you really think that was a good comparison? Two completely different offenses in different conferences? 

It would be like saying Evans 4.5ypc and 9.7ypr are better than Mixons 4.1ypc and 7.8ypr. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 09:41 PM)TheFan Wrote: I mean do you really think that was a good comparison? Two completely different offenses in different conferences? 

It would be like saying Evans 4.5ypc and 9.7ypr are better than Mixons 4.1ypc and 7.8ypr. 

Maybe not if you say so, really don't follow those schools. There is always variables to factor in and admittedly Im not well versed in any of their college careers other than the #'s and where they were drafted.

Yet it's the really the only gauge we have and it was not a power 5 against a non power 5 schools. 

Guess the only real gauge we have is where Zac has them slotted #1, #2, #3

Could go by one of them only had to run for 2 years before NFL ready, one for 3 years, and one for 4 years before ready.

Hope the kid is the greatest thing since Walter Payton and leads the Bengals to the promise land. Have nothing against him at all and he looked good in pre-season but what he does in practice I haven't a clue. 

But not taking the coach to task over this, it's hard to assess anyway the way the entire team came out not ready to play early in the season. 

Will say this that if any of us were real smart we would have heard a lot of play that Jay Tufele kid before the coaches decided to play him. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 09:48 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: In the NFL, salaries determines who plays. Kinda like you get to do the work while your boss just checks to see you're doing it right eventhough you would make a better boss. Nervous

While that may be true, didn't we see Evans on the field quite a bit in passing situations?  He was excellent last year catching the ball.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 06:07 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Mixon single-handedly lost the Chargers game with a fumble-TD for LA.  I get what you are saying, but I think Evans deserves some more snaps.  Mixon hasn't been very good and Evans has some real traits.  

Well not like this team has not made changes when they felt a need.. Mixon is not Evans problem.. it is Perine,,, he is the 2nd back and he has been solid as the backup this season
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 12:56 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Better yet,instead of Evans,put the ball in the hands of your franchise quarterback when the game is on the line.He has some very good weapons in front of him.

Not to insult your intelligence but do you really think this thread is about running Evans instead of letting our all-pro QB pass the ball?  Hilarious

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 10:14 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Maybe not if you say so, really don't follow those schools. There is always variables to factor in and admittedly Im not well versed in any of their college careers other than the #'s and where they were drafted.

Yet it's the really the only gauge we have and it was not a power 5 against a non power 5 schools. 

Guess the only real gauge we have is where Zac has them slotted #1, #2, #3

Could go by one of them only had to run for 2 years before NFL ready, one for 3 years, and one for 4 years before ready.

Hope the kid is the greatest thing since Walter Payton and leads the Bengals to the promise land. Have nothing against him at all and he looked good in pre-season but what he does in practice I haven't a clue. 

But not taking the coach to task over this, it's hard to assess anyway the way the entire team came out not ready to play early in the season. 

Will say this that if any of us were real smart we would have heard a lot of play that Jay Tufele kid before the coaches decided to play him. 

I agree he's likely not a Walter Payton sitting on the bench and obviously coaches to see these guys 98% more than we do. But it's not rare for a guy to be buried on the depth chart and emerge as a good player once he gets reps due to injury or whatever the situation may be, especially at the RB position.

With how terrible our run game has been for the past 2 years and Mixon obviously being hurt to start the season it seems silly that Evans has not been given more opportunities to play. Many teams use 3 backs as part of their offense even when 1 isn't playing terrible like Mixon the first 4-5 games. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 06:53 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You aren't comparing apples to apples. That's like saying Tua was a better QB than Joe Burrow after the first three weeks of the season because he had more yards, TDs, passer rating, etc. 

It's crazy to me that we are saying a guy is better/should get playing time over another guy based on 17 carries in the NFL. 

Chris Evans is nothing special. If he were special, the coaches who know 100x more about football than you and I would find a way to get him reps. 

Tua and Burrow play on different teams.  Evans shined, albeit in limited action, on the same team with the same line.  He looked amazing in preseason.  Just asking to give him some opportunities.  

Everyone seems to want more snaps from Dax Hill.  Is that so disrespectful to Bates and Bell?  How is it different?
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 06:54 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What are Evans traits? What does he do better than Mixon? He looks slow as shit on kick off returns. 

Have you not watched the past few games? Mixon has looked amazing. His stats aren't eye popping, but watch the tape. He's running with explosiveness and quickness. 

I haven't seen the same Mixon you have.  He's been solid over the last couple games, but mostly looks slow and uninspired.  There are many times I have seen outside rush opportunities where he runs to the stacked box.  Maybe that is where the play is designed to go, but it is a potential huge gain.  

If you saw that TD that Evans caught against Detroit, you can see some of the other traits I am talking about.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 06:54 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What are Evans traits? What does he do better than Mixon? He looks slow as shit on kick off returns. 

Have you not watched the past few games? Mixon has looked amazing. His stats aren't eye popping, but watch the tape. He's running with explosiveness and quickness. 

What makes you think that he looked amazing in the Atlanta game? Removing the goalline carries, he averaged 3.7 yards per carry and 3.5 after the first quarter. He had one strong run all day - the 11 yard gain late in the 4th. Even during my weekly rewatch of the game, I am not seeing an "amazing" Mixon. 

He did do well in the prior two games and made a few people miss to gain yardage, so that's at least understandable. 
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 02:37 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I haven't seen the same Mixon you have.  He's been solid over the last couple games, but mostly looks slow and uninspired.  There are many times I have seen outside rush opportunities where he runs to the stacked box.  Maybe that is where the play is designed to go, but it is a potential huge gain.  

If you saw that TD that Evans caught against Detroit, you can see some of the other traits I am talking about.

Just have to say that I agree with you as usual SHRacer. I see things in Evans I don't see in Mixon, Evans has more long speed,
better vision, is more of a natural Receiver etc.

Mixon could of had at least a couple more TD's if he just followed his blockers instead of running into Defenders. All of this and
add in the fact Mixon has been terrible at picking up the blitz and I just don't understand why some on here are loving Mixon so 
much right now. I have always been a Mixon guy, but he hasn't been playing great lately IMO.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2022, 01:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Mixon could of had at least a couple more TD's if he just followed his blockers instead of running into Defenders. All of this and
add in the fact Mixon has been terrible at picking up the blitz and I just don't understand why some on here are loving Mixon so 
much right now. I have always been a Mixon guy, but he hasn't been playing great lately IMO.

Agree Mixon just looks slow and average this year.  He was never fast so losing a step has really made him mediocre.  I still like the guy but his play shouldn't keep guys like Evans and Perine off the field. 

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 02:42 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: What makes you think that he looked amazing in the Atlanta game? Removing the goalline carries, he averaged 3.7 yards per carry and 3.5 after the first quarter. He had one strong run all day - the 11 yard gain late in the 4th. Even during my weekly rewatch of the game, I am not seeing an "amazing" Mixon. 

He did do well in the prior two games and made a few people miss to gain yardage, so that's at least understandable. 

Eye test. YPC relies on too many other variables too completely judge a running back on. 

Mixon looked quick, explosive, and his cutting was the best it's been in awhile. 

You're telling me he doesn't look explosive here?

https://twitter.com/bengals_sans/status/1584610675669843968?s=20&t=rO6i2UyH3XJYZWYtAYL7aA

https://twitter.com/bengals_sans/status/1584610675669843968?s=20&t=rO6i2UyH3XJYZWYtAYL7aA
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2022, 03:43 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You're telling me he doesn't look explosive here?

It seems you didn't read the entirety of my post...

Quote:He had one strong run all day - the 11 yard gain late in the 4th.

That is referencing that exact run. We can agree to disagree about the Atlanta game. I am not concerned with how a RB looks, but how they perform. If a RB looks "explosive and quick" but they struggle to produce anything, then that observation is worthless to me because it obviously didn't help. Mixon struggled to break tackles and make anything happen again. He wasn't very impressive.

He did have a good game receiving, and looked effective in the weeks before that. 
Reply/Quote

Seems its becoming a popular take.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 03:27 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote:  

Seems its becoming a popular take.

Good, it is just common sense honestly. But with how bad Mixon has been playing I don't even find it to be a gamble.

Couldn't be any worse in pass protection which seemed to be what Paul was hinting at. Evans has way more talent as a 
WR as we saw on that pass he caught on the edge where he looked like a WR. Mixon had absolutely NO vision on Monday
night, NONE. He couldn't see a 5 foot wide hole right in front of him for heck sake.
Reply/Quote