Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Simms: 'Burrow will adjust very quickly'
"It's not easy ... none of the situations are easy," Simms said. "But I do think when I look at it, I go Joe Burrow and Tua have an advantage I think over guys like Jordan Love - who's very raw, and was in a very simple offense. Justin Herbert - not a very complicated offense and creativity there up in Oregon. 

You know, Joe Burrow got coached by a guy that's an NFL offensive coordinator in Joe Brady, who worked under Sean Payton. So I think he's gonna have a good feel for how offenses are run in the NFL, and that's kinda the same logic I would use with Tua. ... I thing those are the two guys I would favor in that conversation more than the others because of what they came from. 

The good thing for (Burrow) is he played a lot of football the last two years. ... He was in a pro-style system. He's been around and played against a lot of pro players. That's the benefit of playing in SEC football. Pretty much every team you play every week's got a few professional defensive linemen, a few pros in the secondary. I think he'll adjust very quickly because he's very talented and smart."

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2020/07/22/no-nfl-preseason-chris-simms-expects-joe-burrow-adjust-better-than-other-rookie-quarterbacks/5487320002/
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 02:48 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:  That's the benefit of playing in SEC football. Pretty much every team you play every week's got a few professional defensive linemen, a few pros in the secondary.

That's funny coming from Chris Simms.  He originally committed to Tennessee coming out of high school, but then got afraid of playing in the SEC and ran away to Texas.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 02:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That's funny coming from Chris Simms.  He originally committed to Tennessee coming out of high school, but then got afraid of playing in the SEC and ran away to Texas.

Sorry to go OT, but I 100% agree with him that playing in the SEC and working under an NFL caliber OC makes a huge difference in how prepared a rookie QB will be to play in the NFL.  May not make a much difference down the road, but it will be a big advantage his first year. 
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 02:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry to go OT, but I 100% agree with him that playing in the SEC and working under an NFL caliber OC makes a huge difference in how prepared a rookie QB will be to play in the NFL.  May not make a much difference down the road, but it will make a big advantage his first year. 

Agreed. I think that experience puts him in a better position coming out of the gate. I don't feel like anything will be too big for him or too much for him to handle. He'll have normal rookie struggles at times, but I feel like he'll be able to adjust and overcome them pretty quickly.
Reply/Quote
Why are all the analysts mediocre backup QBs. I'd rather take someone like Kurt Warners analysis. Just wandered why these guys like Dan orlovsky and the other Hassleback get these jobs...
Reply/Quote
There will be growing pains, but I expect Burrow will get acclimated fairly quickly. My bigger concern is keeping him upright and healthy.

This season's basically a write-off anyway. Do what you can.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
My only concern with Burrow is the Steelers. They always break our toys.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 04:50 PM)Earendil Wrote: My only concern with Burrow is the Steelers. They always break our toys.

It's unfortunate but true. Yet, Burrow is a better runner than Palmer and Dalton was so hopefully he will avoid some of those hits.

Reply/Quote
One thing I will add is that one advantage of not having preseason games is that there
Will be zero NFL film on Joe Burrow come week 1. The Chargers will be in the dark
As far how to defense Burrow and this offense.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 03:09 PM)Tony Wrote: Why are all the analysts mediocre backup QBs. I'd rather take someone like Kurt Warners analysis. Just wandered why these guys like Dan orlovsky and the other Hassleback get these jobs...

There are different skill sets involved in being a QB, broadcaster, or coach.

Just because a guy was a good player does not mean he will be a good broadcaster or coach.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 02:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That's funny coming from Chris Simms.  He originally committed to Tennessee coming out of high school, but then got afraid of playing in the SEC and ran away to Texas.
The SEC and Big 12 were pretty close to equal back in those days. ('99-02)  The only National Championship out of those conferences from those years came from the Big 12. (Oklahoma - 2000)
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 03:09 PM)Tony Wrote: Why are all the analysts mediocre backup QBs. I'd rather take someone like Kurt Warners analysis. Just wandered why these guys like Dan orlovsky and the other Hassleback get these jobs...

John Elway has done an amazing job with the QB situation in Denver.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

The short answer is that average performers in all jobs make better coaches or analysts or trainers because they are very template oriented while experts tend to get by on skills that dont apply to the masses. 

It's why you don't see guys like Joe Montana or Barry Sanders go into coaching while guys like Gary Kubiak and Doug Pederson do. 
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 10:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The short answer is that average performers in all jobs make better coaches or analysts or trainers because they are very template oriented while experts tend to get by on skills that dont apply to the masses. 

It's why you don't see guys like Joe Montana or Barry Sanders go into coaching while guys like Gary Kubiak and Doug Pederson do. 

Ryan Finley head coach of the Bengals 2033
Reply/Quote

Romo wasn’t mediocre, and he’s probably the best in the business.

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 08:56 PM)jason Wrote: John Elway has done an amazing job with the QB situation in Denver.
Yep. Stilll looking to groom his guy. It’s hard to relay why you were so good. Guys that are backups spend a lot of time on the sideline next to the head coach. They know how to recognize mistakes by the starter because they get vented on by the HC every time the starter screws up or missed a play. The starter usually only hears it well after the fact and in the film room. The backup hears all of it.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 08:56 PM)jason Wrote: John Elway has done an amazing job with the QB situation in Denver.

Hard to argue with what he's done in 9 seasons as GM.

85-59 Record
5 Playoffs
5 Division Titles
2 AFC Championships
1 SB Win

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 10:42 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ryan Finley head coach of the Bengals 2033

Sounds silly, but then I realize our current HC was a CFL bench warmer.  And those benches up north get pretty cold, eh?
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2020, 07:43 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hard to argue with what he's done in 9 seasons as GM.

85-59 Record
5 Playoffs
5 Division Titles
2 AFC Championships
1 SB Win

Fun fact.... I completely forgot that Peyton Manning played in Denver. That's so 5 or 6 years ago.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 04:50 PM)Earendil Wrote: My only concern with Burrow is the Steelers. They always break our toys.

One of theirs was broken permanently trying to break one of ours.  But with Omar leading that team, I wouldn't say that their assbag ways have been eliminated.  
Reply/Quote