Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Church World Service
I just saw a NY Times headline about Church World Service (CWS) staff and volunteers getting ready to welcome a family of Syrian refugees to America. My first thought was it sounded like a nice story, particularly during the Christmas/holiday season. I couldn't help wondering how many "good Christians" would be outraged by the thought of this story, even as it warmed my heart.

But more than anything I wondered what kind of crazy church was doing this. Surely, not Christian - lest those of my outraged brethren of Christian orientation have their blood boil even hotter. But, thanks to the interwebs, I learned the CWS is a cooperative ministry of 37 Christian denominations which has been providing refugee assistance around the world since just after WWII. I thought that was pretty cool, and was surprised I had never heard of CWS. So, had any of you heard of CWS before? Do you love their mission? Hate it? Tell us what you think of this organization.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Never heard of them.

Many religious organizations do good things...usually those are the ones we don't hear about.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-24-2016, 12:08 PM)xxlt Wrote: I just saw a NY Times headline about Church World Service (CWS) staff and volunteers getting ready to welcome a family of Syrian refugees to America. My first thought was it sounded like a nice story, particularly during the Christmas/holiday season. I couldn't help wondering how many "good Christians" would be outraged by the thought of this story, even as it warmed my heart.

But more than anything I wondered what kind of crazy church was doing this. Surely, not Christian - lest those of my outraged brethren of Christian orientation have their blood boil even hotter. But, thanks to the interwebs, I learned the CWS is a cooperative ministry of 37 Christian denominations which has been providing refugee assistance around the world since just after WWII. I thought that was pretty cool, and was surprised I had never heard of CWS. So, had any of you heard of CWS before? Do you love their mission? Hate it? Tell us what you think of this organization.

I have heard of them before. But they are pretty 'low key'. I have to wonder if they sought out the NY Times or if the NY Times sought them out.

(12-24-2016, 12:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: Never heard of them.

Many religious organizations do good things...usually those are the ones we don't hear about.

A wise Presbyterian pastor I know (unbelievabily enough a Steelers fan from Pittsburgh) once explained it to me this way: "It's good to go out and do good things. Just don't tell anyone that you did it. That ruins it."
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(12-24-2016, 01:37 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I have heard of them before. But they are pretty 'low key'. I have to wonder if they sought out the NY Times or if the NY Times sought them out.

A wise Presbyterian pastor I know (unbelievabily enough a Steelers fan from Pittsburgh) once explained it to me this way: "It's good to go out and do good things. Just don't tell anyone that you did it. That ruins it."

Kind of what we were taught in Catholic School.  Or at least what I got out of it.  Do what you can and do good.  That's it.
(12-24-2016, 02:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: Kind of what we were taught in Catholic School.  Or at least what I got out of it.  Do what you can and do good.  That's it.

If that is the main thing you took away from from Catholic School, I think Jesus would be pleased.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(12-24-2016, 04:16 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: If that is the main thing you took away from from Catholic School, I think Jesus would be pleased.

Sadly, many of my fellow Christians never felt that way.  Seems I didn't ALL the messages.   Smirk

Now I'm just trying to be good whether there is a reward waiting for me or not for not doing the "right things" to get in to heaven.

Merry Christmas.
(12-24-2016, 04:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: Sadly, many of my fellow Christians never felt that way.  Seems I didn't ALL the messages.   Smirk

Now I'm just trying to be good whether there is a reward waiting for me or not for not doing the "right things" to get in to heaven.

Merry Christmas.

The peace of knowing you've not compromised your own morals (when it would be easier to do so), is often reward enough.

Merry Christmas !
I've done some work in the area with them from time to time regarding refugee resettlement. Our congregation plays a big part in it around here. Being an ELCA congregation we are a member denomination for CWS.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
The Church doesn't control "who" gets the help. They just provide it to those that the Government has chosen (and currently the people choosing is the UN?).

This is where I would like it fixed. I would like it or not, put a preference to Christians that are being prosecuted in ME countries ahead of Muslims. The Christians in ME Countries definitely qualify for refugee status, “well-founded fear of persecution based on religion.” I'm not saying that Muslims aren't prosecuted as well, but they are the majority and Christians are the minority and are definitely targeted.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-28-2016, 02:11 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: The Church doesn't control "who" gets the help. They just provide it to those that the Government has chosen (and currently the people choosing is the UN?).

This is where I would like it fixed. I would like it or not, put a preference to Christians that are being prosecuted in ME countries ahead of Muslims. The Christians in ME Countries definitely qualify for refugee status, “well-founded fear of persecution based on religion.” I'm not saying that Muslims aren't prosecuted as well, but they are the majority and Christians are the minority and are definitely targeted.

The government, not the UN but our local, state, and federal governments, determine the refugees that come in to our country. The federal grants the status and the state/local governments are the ones that provide places for them to go. The CWS, just like any private organization, cannot make that determination because immigration is controlled by the government. If people come to us seeking asylum, claiming to be refugees, then our government determines that status. Persecuted Christians from the ME would have the same opportunities to get help here if they make it here. They can apply for refugee status the same as the war refugees.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(12-28-2016, 04:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The government, not the UN but our local, state, and federal governments, determine the refugees that come in to our country. The federal grants the status and the state/local governments are the ones that provide places for them to go. The CWS, just like any private organization, cannot make that determination because immigration is controlled by the government. If people come to us seeking asylum, claiming to be refugees, then our government determines that status. Persecuted Christians from the ME would have the same opportunities to get help here if they make it here. They can apply for refugee status the same as the war refugees.

Uhm, I was pretty sure that the UN vets them first and recommends who gets sent to the US.

http://www.newsweek.com/heres-process-refugees-have-go-through-enter-us-398254

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/report-u.s.-lets-united-nations-pick-which-syrians-come-to-america/article/2580092
(12-28-2016, 04:35 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Uhm, I was pretty sure that the UN vets them first and recommends who gets sent to the US.

http://www.newsweek.com/heres-process-refugees-have-go-through-enter-us-398254

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/report-u.s.-lets-united-nations-pick-which-syrians-come-to-america/article/2580092

But they still don't make that decision. Refugees don't have to go through the UN to resettle somewhere, though the UN process can help them get processed faster. And the US doesn't have to listen to the UN on the topic. The UN does not make the decision, it is entirely up to the federal government. Your Newsweek article says as much. Hell, you aren't disagreeing with my statement in your post. I am saying the government, our government, makes the decision. You aren't disputing that.

(12-28-2016, 02:11 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: The Church doesn't control "who" gets the help. They just provide it to those that the Government has chosen (and currently the people choosing is the UN?).

I guess it is a good thing Jesus didn't require religious litmus tests. 
(12-28-2016, 04:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The government, not the UN but our local, state, and federal governments, determine the refugees that come in to our country. The federal grants the status and the state/local governments are the ones that provide places for them to go. The CWS, just like any private organization, cannot make that determination because immigration is controlled by the government. If people come to us seeking asylum, claiming to be refugees, then our government determines that status. Persecuted Christians from the ME would have the same opportunities to get help here if they make it here. They can apply for refugee status the same as the war refugees.

Well, not giving preferential treatment to the Christians isn't very Christ-like! Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(12-28-2016, 07:48 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I guess it is a good thing Jesus didn't require religious litmus tests. 

Actually, I'm told there are some at the gates of heaven.
(12-28-2016, 02:11 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: The Church doesn't control "who" gets the help. They just provide it to those that the Government has chosen (and currently the people choosing is the UN?).

So if faced with a Muslim family escaping persecution and a Christian family, and we only have space for one, we should bring in the Christians?

Would you extend this to Christians under Israel occupation on the West Bank?
(12-29-2016, 09:00 PM)Dill Wrote: Actually, I'm told there are some at the gates of heaven.

That's nice of them.

Couldn't care less what they decide to do with their resources as long as they're not harming anyone. I'm curious to know where you get this idea that the group is non-Christian because of this. Plenty of churches aid people who are less fortunate internationally, but whateves.
(12-29-2016, 09:07 PM)Dill Wrote: So if faced with a Muslim family escaping persecution and a Christian family, and we only have space for one, we should bring in the Christians?

Would you extend this to Christians under Israel occupation on the West Bank?

Everything else the same? Yeah. Having a bias to help those that can relate to you better isn't a bad thing.
(12-29-2016, 09:55 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: That's nice of them.

Couldn't care less what they decide to do with their resources as long as they're not harming anyone. I'm curious to know where you get this idea that the group is non-Christian because of this. Plenty of churches aid people who are less fortunate internationally, but whateves.

I'm curious to know if you're really curious to know.