Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cincinnati Bengals Viewed as Top Landing Spot for Earl Thomas
DOUBT IT. However, with the moves so far this season, it's not totally out of the question. If you want to win now, is this a guy you go after?

https://nflmocks.com/2018/07/21/cincinnati-bengals-viewed-as-top-landing-spot-for-earl-thomas/

Quote:Cincinnati Bengals Viewed as Top Landing Spot for Earl Thomas

by Erik Lambert11 hours agoFollow @ErikLambert1

The Cincinnati Bengals aren’t known for making bold moves when it comes to acquiring talent, but maybe they should start considering it.

This organization has operated with a simple and straightforward methodology in regards to the offseason. Be smart and frugal in free agency, even with their own players. Then be sure to get the best players possible in the draft. It’s been a solid strategy to this point. Since 2003 the team has made the playoffs seven times. That’s far more than some other teams could boast. The problem is it’s gotten them no closer to the Super Bowl.

Perhaps that’s a big reason why. Their unwillingness to be bold in their efforts to build a championship team has stuck them in the good-not-great categories. Since then they’ve been spinning their wheels, trying to climb the mountain but always left to watch teams like the Patriots, Steelers and even Broncos glide past them in the AFC year after year. Something has to change.
Bengals could benefit in a big way from trade for Earl Thomas

Perhaps the biggest reason the team can’t get any further in the playoffs is that they don’t have players on the roster who know how to take that next step. It’s an entirely homegrown roster filled with young players who haven’t learned how to elevate their game when it matters. Brooks feels adding somebody who’s been to the mountaintop would be of enormous benefit. Somebody like All-Pro safety Earl Thomas.
Quote:“The Bengals don’t have an obvious need at safety, but the team could use another veteran leader to help the defense play at a championship level. Thomas’ ball-hawking skills and toughness would add some sizzle to the defense, while his championship pedigree would come in handy in any playoff action. Given Marvin Lewis’ winless postseason record, the addition of a strong leader like Thomas could help him earn a “W” in January.”

Thomas is one of the top safeties in the NFL. He has a strong knowledge of how to play in a 4-3 defense, the same the Bengals run. He tends to generate a lot of takeaways and is a smart, passionate leader. Nobody on the current Bengals roster can make those same claims. On top of that, he’s been to a Super Bowl twice and has a ring on his finger. If anybody can teach what it takes to elevate their play when it matters, it’s him.

What it comes down to is whether Cincinnati would be willing to pay the price. Even at his age of 29, Thomas won’t come cheap. He’s still a Pro Bowler who can have several good years in his future provided he stays healthy. It would likely cost a 2nd round pick at least and maybe more. Would the Bengals brass take that kind of risk? It’s hard to see it happening.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2018, 12:11 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: DOUBT IT. However, with the moves so far this season, it's not totally out of the question. If you want to win now, is this a guy you go after?

https://nflmocks.com/2018/07/21/cincinnati-bengals-viewed-as-top-landing-spot-for-earl-thomas/

I don't see where they are saying anything about us being viewed as a top landing spot, only that we could benefit by having him on the team.

On that note, everyone but Seattle could be in that headline, since he would bring a benefit to any team he played on...
Reply/Quote
I'd be all for it, right after Geno and Carlos each have been signed for the next few years. That seems to be our highest priority for now.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
We just drafted Bates doubt we would make a deal for Thomas. Would be more interested in Wagner or Wright anyways.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2018, 01:11 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I'd be all for it, right after Geno and Carlos each have been signed for the next few years. That seems to be our highest priority for now.

Agree with you on that.  We have to get those 2 signed before we make another move.  But boy would it be nice to have him.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
It will never happen. They'd never be willing to give a S like him an extension big contract.
Reply/Quote
I checked my magic 8 ball…..
it said
"highly unlikely"....
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2018, 01:11 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I'd be all for it, right after Geno and Carlos each have been signed for the next few years. That seems to be our highest priority for now.

Totally agree with this. They are solid and most important.

(07-22-2018, 03:42 PM)Steve Wrote: I checked my magic 8 ball…..
it said
"highly unlikely"....

Hilarious

Reply/Quote
Earl thomas was not just a good safety. He was one of the best defensive players in the league. He is still just 29. UNless he has a had a lot of injuries recently he will get a ton of money. Don't think it will be here. But if he is healthy he is a game changer.
Reply/Quote
Anyone else remember how well the secondary played with Reggie Nelson back there? Would anyone else like to see a return to that sort of coverage competency and enforcement?

Great! Let's daydream for a minute..

What exactly would it take to acquire Earl Thomas from the Seahawks? The article says likely a 2nd round pick, and perhaps more.

Here's what I propose: Make an offer of George Iloka and the 2019 2nd round pick. If they want more, throw in another late round selection.

What would it take to keep Thomas here for 3-4 years? He's worth every bit of what Iloka and Williams make, combined. That is a tough sell for the Bengals, who are rather reluctant to pay Safeties big money. They seem more comfortable with giving that money to CBs and making do with cheaper at Safety. However, with Bates on board, how long before he would make Shawn Williams expendable?

I'm struggling with putting numbers together that make sense , someone help me out here..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I would absolutely love this, but it's not happening. I'm excited about Bates, and having Thomas as a mentor would be awesome. But again, it won't happen. We have too much $$$ that needs to be spent elsewhere
Reply/Quote
Not happening but it would be incredible.

We need to focus on Geno and Dunlap extensions, and, besides, when's the last time we brought in a free agent of that caliber that's still near his prime?

It would give our defense the kind of attitude and mentality that we need, as well as giving us a playmaker at every position group (Geno on DT, Dunlap DE, Burfict backer, WJIII CB, few other guys you could make an argument for), but I just don't see it happening. They'll want to give young guys like Bates a shot to show what they can do and vets like Iloka and Williams a shot under new coaching.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2018, 03:32 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: It will never happen.  They'd never be willing to give a S like him an extension big contract.

Yeah, he's going to want to cash in one last time next year, and it's hard to imagine us making a huge offer to keep him around. He isn't worth a 2nd for a 1 year rental.

(07-22-2018, 04:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Anyone else remember how well the secondary played with Reggie Nelson back there?  Would anyone else like to see a return to that sort of coverage competency and enforcement?

Great!  Let's daydream for a minute..

What exactly would it take to acquire Earl Thomas from the Seahawks?  The article says likely a 2nd round pick, and perhaps more.  

Here's what I propose:  Make an offer of George Iloka and the 2019 2nd round pick.  If they want more, throw in another late round selection.

What would it take to keep Thomas here for 3-4 years?  He's worth every bit of what Iloka and Williams make, combined.  That is a tough sell for the Bengals, who are rather reluctant to pay Safeties big money.  They seem more comfortable with giving that money to CBs and making do with cheaper at Safety.  However, with Bates on board, how long before he would make Shawn Williams expendable?

I'm struggling with putting numbers together that make sense , someone help me out here..

That would clear up some room to take on Thomas by dumping (some?) of Iloka's $6.2 million cap hit. Like corner said though...would the Bengals really sign him to long term big money?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
There’s zero indication that the Bengals have any interest at all.
Reply/Quote
A move for Earl Thomas would be spectacular in every way. I would trade Iloka and and a draft choice, and deal with the payroll ramifications. If we would pull that off, it would elevate our defense in an unbelievable way. A good defense could become great. It would be nice to trade Williams instead, but that's not as tempting for Seattle.

I would say, though, that I would not sacrifice Geno or Dunlap in order to do it.They deserve to get paid, and we need them. Firming up at safety while weakening the line wouldn't make sense. I'm sure it would take some real payroll juggling, but I've heard that nobody understands salary cap better than Katy. Do it!
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2018, 04:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Earl thomas was not just a good safety.  He was one of the best defensive players in the league.  He is still just 29.  UNless he has a had a lot of injuries recently he will get a ton of money.  Don't think it will be here.  But if he is healthy he is a game changer.

I think Thomas fit that defense perfectly, but isn't fit with what we have had here....although I am not as sure about Austin's defense. 

Thomas is more of a S that plays LB, and isn't the greatest cover guy.  I just can't see how much he upgrades that position for us.  
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2018, 04:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Anyone else remember how well the secondary played with Reggie Nelson back there?  Would anyone else like to see a return to that sort of coverage competency and enforcement?

Great!  Let's daydream for a minute..

What exactly would it take to acquire Earl Thomas from the Seahawks?  The article says likely a 2nd round pick, and perhaps more.  

Here's what I propose:  Make an offer of George Iloka and the 2019 2nd round pick.  If they want more, throw in another late round selection.

What would it take to keep Thomas here for 3-4 years?  He's worth every bit of what Iloka and Williams make, combined.  That is a tough sell for the Bengals, who are rather reluctant to pay Safeties big money.  They seem more comfortable with giving that money to CBs and making do with cheaper at Safety.  However, with Bates on board, how long before he would make Shawn Williams expendable?

This makes a lot of sense the way you are describing the finances and who could be shipped out, but I don't think Thomas is the player we all remember from the Legion of Boom.  I liked watching Seattle, but I didn't get to very often.  I just feel like we would be buying a name on his past, not his future. 
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 07:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This makes a lot of sense the way you are describing the finances and who could be shipped out, but I don't think Thomas is the player we all remember from the Legion of Boom.  I liked watching Seattle, but I didn't get to very often.  I just feel like we would be buying a name on his past, not his future. 

Pretty much.  If they didn't like how Nelson and Whitworth projected, they will HATE how Thomas projects.  Iloka and Williams are already tying up a fair amount of money at that position.  I don't see how signing Thomas is realistic.
Reply/Quote
Not enough cash in the account. We have to get Geno and Carlos resigned, and next year isn't AJ up for a new contract? Dalton? We have to have money to keep them.
Reply/Quote
If Bengals can crunch the numbers am all for it.

Certain there is still monetary weight that can be shed if they decide to pursue.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote