Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleveland Indians will remove Chief Wahoo logo from their uniforms
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22255143/cleveland-indians-removing-chief-wahoo-logo-uniforms

A move that should have happened a long time ago. There's a lot of debate over names, but what argument does someone make over such a ridiculous caricature like Chief Wahoo?

[Image: ncai-poster.jpg]
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-29-2018, 03:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: A move that should have happened a long time ago.

so true.
It’s surprising that this was still an in-use logo for them. I would imagine that caricature is pretty offensive to native Americans.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

What a joke. Chief wahoo is iconic.

It’s not like they have him doing anything offensives. He is smiling.
I understand the reasoning for this change, but I will point out that likely not a single person pushing for this change has ever brought up:

[Image: th?id=OIP.Z_stJgC6bpj0-hjir17TEgHaHa&pid=1.1]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(01-29-2018, 06:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I understand the reasoning for this change, but I will point out that likely not a single person pushing for this change has ever brought up:

Yeah he isn’t dark enough to warrant virtue signaling.
(01-29-2018, 06:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I understand the reasoning for this change, but I will point out that likely not a single person pushing for this change has ever brought up:

My guess is that there isn't an large Irish push to fight it.

There was for Chief Wahoo.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-29-2018, 06:57 PM)GMDino Wrote: My guess is that there isn't an large Irish push to fight it.

There was for Chief Wahoo.

Or maybe you can just make any absurd unrealistic character you want, and nobody will care, so long as it's of a Caucasian person.

[Image: large.png]
[Image: tampa_bay_buccaneers_old.jpg?w=1000&h=750]
[Image: Fighting-Irish-Logo.jpg]
[Image: pittsburgh-pirates.jpg]
[Image: 1024px-Boston_Celtics.svg.png]
[Image: ottawasenators1.jpg]
[Image: oakland-raiders-logo.png]

"Oddly" enough, none of those have been decried as racist. As I said, I understand them getting rid of the Indians logo, I am just laughing at the hypocrisy. Also if you think the only protesters for the Indians were Native Americans, you're wrong. It's also the usual suspects of college kids with too much time on their hands, and middle aged white folk with the same.

[Image: tumblr_lcavyffKpr1qdj5rqo1_400.jpg]
Well at least it wasn't something totally based on skin tone such as Redskin
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(01-29-2018, 07:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: tumblr_lcavyffKpr1qdj5rqo1_400.jpg]

[Image: 201603_2057_cecgh.jpg]

(01-29-2018, 07:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: 201603_2057_cecgh.jpg]

LMAO!  You edited the post before I could quote it!   ThumbsUp

You are literally complaining that some people didn't complain so why is it fair that some did and got their way.

Good luck with that.
Why aren’t we upset about all of these gross caricatures of pirates, vikings, gladiators, and leprechauns!?!?!!?!????!!?!?

Shit’s weak.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(01-29-2018, 07:59 PM)GMDino Wrote: LMAO!  You edited the post before I could quote it!   ThumbsUp

You are literally complaining that some people didn't complain so why is it fair that some did and got their way.

Good luck with that.

Cool story, Bro.

Mellow

(01-29-2018, 07:26 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Or maybe you can just make any absurd unrealistic character you want, and nobody will care, so long as it's of a Caucasian person.

"Oddly" enough, none of those have been decried as racist. As I said, I understand them getting rid of the Indians logo, I am just laughing at the hypocrisy. Also if you think the only protesters for the Indians were Native Americans, you're wrong. It's also the usual suspects of college kids with too much time on their hands, and middle aged white folk with the same.

The mascot for the Celtics and Notre Dame are leprechauns, which are mythical creatures. The rest of those aren't ethnic groups nor are any of them anywhere close to being a Chief Wahoo level over the top caricature of an ethnic group. Notice how no one gives a shit about the chiefs, just the Redskins and Indians. You can make the argument against the Celtics and the Fighting Irish, though the Fighting Irish got their name because the original team that called themselves that was made up of Irish players. 

(01-29-2018, 08:51 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The mascot for the Celtics and Notre Dame are leprechauns, which are mythical creatures. The rest of those aren't ethnic groups nor are any of them anywhere close to being a Chief Wahoo level over the top caricature of an ethnic group. Notice how no one gives a shit about the chiefs, just the Redskins and Indians. You can make the argument against the Celtics and the Fighting Irish, though the Fighting Irish got their name because the original team that called themselves that was made up of Irish players. 
Now the Atlanta Crackers was a whole different story. 

[Image: 8c8b18a2ae488ac0ab9c49b4079b6c84.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

My biggest gripe with the whole Indian thing isn't a pc issue, I just think it's long overdue that we accept that this country isn't India.

I say native American because this isn't India and people are all like "waaaa stop being so PC!"
(01-29-2018, 08:51 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The mascot for the Celtics and Notre Dame are leprechauns, which are mythical creatures. The rest of those aren't ethnic groups nor are any of them anywhere close to being a Chief Wahoo level over the top caricature of an ethnic group. Notice how no one gives a shit about the chiefs, just the Redskins and Indians. You can make the argument against the Celtics and the Fighting Irish, though the Fighting Irish got their name because the original team that called themselves that was made up of Irish players. 

Living in NC, I've come to know and like a few tribesman in my day.  In fact, one is my strength coach.  His only complaint about Chief Wahoo is that most natives don't have the big, bright teeth depicted in the caricature..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(01-30-2018, 12:41 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Living in NC, I've come to know and like a few tribesman in my day.  In fact, one is my strength coach.  His only complaint about Chief Wahoo is that most natives don't have the big, bright teeth depicted in the caricature..

Were any of them bright red?

(01-30-2018, 01:07 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Were any of them bright red?

Only the dumb ones, who get sunburned working fields without covering themselves.  Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23