Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Who is our backup QB?
Surprised nobody has mentioned Baker Mayfield if the Browns pick up his salary. lol
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 04:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You don't know how to figure the odds because you don't even understand the conversation we are having.

Over a third of playoff teams had starting QBs who missed games with injury.  If you want to prove that the back up QB is meaningless then you would have to show how many of those teams would have made the playoffs it they lost all the games with their #2 QB starting.

The percentage of total games misssed by starting QBs is meaningless to the discussion because the proof is that a large portion of playoff teams have starting QBs that miss games with injury.

No fred, i get it totally.
all 14 playoff teams qb's avg missing less than 1 game for the season.

You can have a good back up, but if your main qb is out for an extended amount of time, they will likely LOSE more than they WIN taking you out of contention anyways. That is what you are refusing to understand and you keep omitting from the conversation.

As i said, back up are back ups for a reason, if they were good enough to consistently win, they'd be a starter with another team.

Foles is a perfect example of a backup that was promoted to starter status and he didn't survive the year as a starter, was demoted to backup before the season ended. The Rams traded for him and then benched him for Case Keenum... once the 2015 season ended. Foles was released and ended up as a backup for KC.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 09:55 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Surprised nobody has mentioned Baker Mayfield if the Browns pick up his salary. lol

I would, but i think he wants to go somewhere that he has a chance to become the starter, and that's not here.
Reply/Quote
Tiger

The moral of the story is that if Burrow goes down are you "confident" that this guy can at least be .500. I only remember him against Pittsburgh. Thats all I'm saying.
I've heard reports that Joe likes him but that never in history won a game. 1822
Reply/Quote
I’d rather a rookie instead of Brandon Allen. Has a decent arm but no versatility or explosiveness.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 10:59 PM)Housh Wrote: I’d rather a rookie instead of Brandon Allen. Has a decent arm but no versatility or explosiveness.

It is almost impossible for a rookie to get enough reps as the back up to be ready to step into the middle of a game.  Look at how hard it is for rookie QBs who get all the first string reps.

I don't like Allen, but I'd take him over a rookie.  
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 05:15 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I agreed when he went out for the OT coin toss even though he lost. It's the Gallagher theory. "Why send out the team captains? Why not send out the luckiest guy on the team?"

Without a doubt, the luckiest guy on the team is Brandon Allen because he shouldn't be anywhere near an NFL Roster.

While i agree Allen is borderline trash at least he’s flashed moments to keep him as a backup in the league where as Ryan Finley had zero business making the team ever. They knew that the second they got him in camp his rookie year but bc they invested a little in him they held onto him for a couple years. I’ll always love his W vs Pittsburgh in prime time but my god was he bad. Forreal though if Burrow goes down our super bowl hopes go with him but that also goes for most teams and it’s elite QBs
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 09:55 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Surprised nobody has mentioned Baker Mayfield if the Browns pick up his salary. lo
Tiger
Unfortunately his ego won't allow him to be a solid backup. He doesn't understand that holding a clipboard may get you ten years in the league if you can put together wins if #1 goes down. 
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 07:57 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger
Unfortunately his ego won't allow him to be a solid backup. He doesn't understand that holding a clipboard may get you ten years in the league if you can put together wins if #1 goes down. 

Baker is too good to be a backup.

He played injured last year and his career passer rating is still 20th among active QBs.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 06:26 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: AJ McCarron was one of the better backups the Bengals have had; he played with swagger and he wasn’t timid.  He loved it here, too, and he’s only 31.  Behind the new and improved offensive line AJ could spell Joe Burrow for long periods.

Yeah, was never a big McCarron fan like some on here but he was decent, just not as good as Dalton as some claimed.

I would be for bringing him back, but in a way I am not just for the conversations we might have to have lol

(05-28-2022, 06:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: McCarron is really 31?  My, how time flies.  Seems like yesterday when some on here were ogling his young, attractive wife.   Ninja

Wild how 31 seems old when I am almost 40 and feel better than I did at 21.

Any pics of Mac's wife? Ninja
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 10:18 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

The moral of the story is that if Burrow goes down are you "confident" that this guy can at least be .500. I only remember him against Pittsburgh. Thats all I'm saying.
I've heard reports that Joe likes him but that never in history won a game. 1822

Your post is a little confusing.  Are you talking about Brandon Allen?  If so he has only had one passing attempt against Pittsburgh in his career and that was last year during the Bengals 41-10 win.  Maybe you are thinking of Ryan Finley who is no longer with the Bengals and that game where he didn't play great but he and the team did just enough to get the win.  You know that picture of him smiling.  

That said, yeah if Burrow is injured for a few games the Bengals are probably screwed. If unfortunately that happens after the bye week it would be even worse given their opponents.  As of this year's schedule, at least on paper, there appears to be a small margin when it comes to losing games and making the playoffs given how stacked the AFC seems to be.   Let's hope with a revamped O-line it isn't something we have to worry about.

But also keep in mind when Allen replaced Burrow in 2020 he was playing behind the same terrible O-line.  According to KillerGoose data was one of the worst in team history.  Also Mixon was out for the year after week 6.  So maybe if in an unfortunate situation where he has to play, with a better O-line, the Bengals top tier list of receivers, and a decent running game he might do okay.  Who knows?  I hope we don't have to find out.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Fitz is retiring so he is out.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 01:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's obvious who needs to be JB's backup:

[Image: joe-burrow-outfit-feature.jpg?w=1024]

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

I would be down with Connor McGregor as a backup QB.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote