Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaching changes
https://www.bengals.com/news/joe-burrow-heads-into-year-four-with-intact-coaching-staff
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 12:26 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/joe-burrow-heads-into-year-four-with-intact-coaching-staff

Some key points from this article on bengals.com:

"I venture to guess," Callahan said this week, "we'll have five or six head coaches off this staff and hopefully everyone looks back on it as a Super Bowl-winning staff on top of it all."

In this round of the coaching carousel, Callahan didn't get a head coaching gig, quarterbacks coach Dan Pitcher decided to stay instead of pursue the Tampa Bay offensive coordinator job and wide receivers coach Troy Walters went right to the wire before the Texans tapped their offensive coordinator.

"It's always fun to go look for a job when you've got a great one in your back pocket," Callahan said. "They're going to look back on our staff at some point in the future and they're going to say, 'Boy, what a coaching staff that was.' Troy is going to be a head coach. Pitch is going to be a head coach. God-willing I'll be one. Frank (Pollack) is one of the premier offensive line coaches in football. Lou (Anarumo) is going to be a head coach.

"If you're looking for advantages, staff continuity is certainly an advantage," Callahan said. "You have to make it pay off, too, but it's an advantage to be going into our fifth year together. It's pretty awesome."

There's also the longest-tenured special teams coordinator in the NFL in Darrin Simmons, two-time NFL coordinator James Bettcher coaching linebackers for the second year and a 28-year veteran of coaching blue-chip players in college and the pros in defensive line coach Marion Hobby in his third year.

They were handed a Ferrari and they have done nothing but fine-tune it. As soon as Burrow qualified, he became the NFL's all-time leader in completion percentage and he's not exactly dinking and dunking while leading the league in passes of at least 40 yards over the last two seasons.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 09:33 AM)Nepa Wrote: There's also the longest-tenured special teams coordinator in the NFL in Darrin Simmons, two-time NFL coordinator James Bettcher coaching linebackers for the second year and a 28-year veteran of coaching blue-chip players in college and the pros in defensive line coach Marion Hobby in his third year.

If special teams doesn't improve Livingston should take over the title of longest-tenured Bengals coach on the staff.....

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 10:00 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: No they didn’t. That’s why I called you out. They coached together very early in their careers for 2 years at TAMU. But what they are doing here is nothing nada zero zip what they were doing there. I followed them. Your premise was they’ve had a fresh set of eyes or voices on defense not offense. Golden left and got the DC job at ND and Lou was tickled pink to get Bettcher. On offense I think KC needs to dump a few coaches to get a new voice lol. They’ve had the same ones as well. Callahan was pressed hard by Arizona and Picher was pursued hard as an OC. The offense’s problem is the OL. See Philly & KC

KC has lost offensive coaches to HC and Coodinator jobs over the last couple years... 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 10:19 AM)jj22 Wrote: KC has lost offensive coaches to HC and Coodinator jobs over the last couple years... 

Eric has been OC at KC since 2018 and Spags, DC since 2019. IMO, if Eric doesnt take a lateral move to the Cards they will likely both be there for a long time. 

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 10:27 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Eric has been OC at KC since 2018 and Spags, DC since 2019. IMO, if Eric doesnt take a lateral move to the Cards they will likely both be there for a long time. 

Jj22 wanting staff turnover others so happy for continuity. But I’ve always been a big believer in bringing in outside influencers to look at things
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 11:21 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Jj22 wanting staff turnover others so happy for continuity. But I’ve always been a big believer in bringing in outside influencers to look at things

I wouldn't say I wanted staff turnover the way you make it sound ("wanting" coaches to leave). But if we did have turnover, I'd prefer some from the Offensive side because we haven't had fresh eyes brought in unlike defense where we've got new LB coaches, New Secondary coaches, and new DL coaches over the years to help build Lou's system.

I do think that the Offense already has bouts of being stale and 5 years of the same staff is a long time when there is already flares of staleness. So the point of this thread was if we did lose coaches (which we didn't), I'd much rather it had been on the Offensive side so that new coaches would be brought in with fresh eyes and ideas.

I did hope that the young Offensive staff would bring in a senior Offensive Assistant with some play calling experience, but in year 5 they've got experience now. That however would have been a nice addition earlier in Zac's tenure.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 11:50 AM)jj22 Wrote: I wouldn't say I wanted staff turnover the way you make it sound ("wanting" coaches to leave). But if we did have turnover, I'd prefer some from the Offensive side because we haven't had fresh eyes brought in unlike defense where we've got new LB coaches, New Secondary coaches, and new DL coaches over the years to help build Lou's system.

I do think that the Offense already has bouts of being stale and 5 years of the same staff is a long time when there is already flares of staleness. So the point of this thread was if we did lose coaches (which we didn't), I'd much rather it had been on the Offensive side so that new coaches would be brought in with fresh eyes and ideas.

I did hope that the young Offensive staff would bring in a senior Offensive Assistant with some play calling experience, but in year 5 they've got experience now. That however would have been a nice addition earlier in Zac's tenure.

Actually the offense evolved more this year than any Under Taylor. I’d suggest searching Ted Nyguen, Benjamin Solak , and Joe Goodberry. Ted has a great piece on the huge in season transformation of the offense after the early games.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 09:48 AM)casear2727 Wrote: If special teams doesn't improve Livingston should take over the title of longest-tenured Bengals coach on the staff.....

Simmons does have a history of fixing the ST unit when they have statistically bad seasons. I expect us to bring in a new punter to compete with Chrisman. He'll most likely Evan start kicking the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs if the coverage team doesn't look up to par.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 02:18 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Simmons does have a history of fixing the ST unit when they have statistically bad seasons. I expect us to bring in a new punter to compete with Chrisman. He'll most likely Evan start kicking the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs if the coverage team doesn't look up to par.

True, Simmons won't be happy with his unit last season at all...
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 11:50 AM)jj22 Wrote: I wouldn't say I wanted staff turnover the way you make it sound ("wanting" coaches to leave). But if we did have turnover, I'd prefer some from the Offensive side because we haven't had fresh eyes brought in unlike defense where we've got new LB coaches, New Secondary coaches, and new DL coaches over the years to help build Lou's system.

The basis of the offense is making plays look the same, so you don't know what's coming. The problem with that, is the run game wasn't good enough to make people fear it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote