Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cody Core???
Last year, with injuries to AJ Green, Gio Bernard, and Tyler Eifert, the Bengals were left with a dearth of weapons on the offensive side of the ball.

We got a few glimpses of what Core could do toward the end of the season. Coming in to this season, during spring practices, all we heard was his speed, ability to separate, and his outstanding work ethic. He was a little nicked up at the midpoint of the preseason, but had three receptions for 39 yards in two games.

Fast forward to the regular season. 0 catches. Yet, Brandon Lafell is trotted out there every game for the majority of snaps, despite a serious inability to generate separation. I don't mean to dog Lafell...he is a fine #3 (or, our new "Sanu", with Tyler Boyd) but no one is generating vertical speed opposite AJ Green. This was a huge problem last year and Core is not getting his opportunities now.

Is he being punished for dropping the long pass against the Ravens in week 1? Is he being punished because Dalton overthrew him down the sidelines in the same game? At least he was open on both of those plays.

I haven't seen his name on any injury report and I saw him almost every time be the first one down the field on punt coverage.

Anyone know why this guy isn't getting more snaps? With Ross still out, now is his chance to show what he can do.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 08:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Last year, with injuries to AJ Green, Gio Bernard, and Tyler Eifert, the Bengals were left with a dearth of weapons on the offensive side of the ball.

We got a few glimpses of what Core could do toward the end of the season.  Coming in to this season, during spring practices, all we heard was his speed, ability to separate, and his outstanding work ethic.  He was a little nicked up at the midpoint of the preseason, but had three receptions for 39 yards in two games.

Fast forward to the regular season.  0 catches.  Yet, Brandon Lafell is trotted out there every game for the majority of snaps, despite a serious inability to generate separation.  I don't mean to dog Lafell...he is a fine #3 (or, our new "Sanu", with Tyler Boyd) but no one is generating vertical speed opposite AJ Green.  This was a huge problem last year and Core is not getting his opportunities now.  

Is he being punished for dropping the long pass against the Ravens in week 1?  Is he being punished because Dalton overthrew him down the sidelines in the same game?  At least he was open on both of those plays.  

I haven't seen his name on any injury report and I saw him almost every time be the first one down the field on punt coverage.  

Anyone know why this guy isn't getting more snaps?  With Ross still out, now is his chance to show what he can do.

The very few amount of times Dalton has thrown to Core, he looked relatively open but Dalton simply misfired. I don't think Dalton has built that chemistry yet with him like he has other receivers.

The problem with Core that I see is he's kind of a one-trick pony. He can run deep, that's about it (from what I've observed). Until Dalton can connect with him on those long passes, teams won't start accounting for him and therefore freeing up the underneath routes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
He's getting snaps but 90%of the time cannot get open at all. He's not good
Reply/Quote
The book isn't written on the guy but he's looking like out the yearly guy we dream will take the top off the defense and either score his arse off or open absolutely everything up underneath but eventually doesn't have much impact on the game.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 08:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Last year, with injuries to AJ Green, Gio Bernard, and Tyler Eifert, the Bengals were left with a dearth of weapons on the offensive side of the ball.

We got a few glimpses of what Core could do toward the end of the season.  Coming in to this season, during spring practices, all we heard was his speed, ability to separate, and his outstanding work ethic.  He was a little nicked up at the midpoint of the preseason, but had three receptions for 39 yards in two games.

Fast forward to the regular season.  0 catches.  Yet, Brandon Lafell is trotted out there every game for the majority of snaps, despite a serious inability to generate separation.  I don't mean to dog Lafell...he is a fine #3 (or, our new "Sanu", with Tyler Boyd) but no one is generating vertical speed opposite AJ Green.  This was a huge problem last year and Core is not getting his opportunities now.  

Is he being punished for dropping the long pass against the Ravens in week 1?  Is he being punished because Dalton overthrew him down the sidelines in the same game?  At least he was open on both of those plays.  

Anyone know why this guy isn't getting more snaps?  With Ross still out, now is his chance to show what he can do.

I think in the short/medium term we still may not see a lot of him. I would assume that's not a reflection on him but more where we are at right now.

My belief is that Lazor is probably trying to limit playbook and scheme because of the OLine issues and trying to not get too fancy, over ambitious right now. 

We've seen a lot of short drops, passes coming out quick, RB's in the flat...he said his priority as OC was getting Andy back in rhythm and he has achieved that in the first 2 weeks.

We've barely gone vertical thus far (I remember one deep jump ball to AJ and that is about it) and since Lazor has come in we have not been having to chase quick scores.  

At some point that is going to have to change and we will need to open it up, hope our OLine can keep a clean pocket for more than a second and hopefully then Core gets a chance to show up.

PS : is Core a YAC type threat??? or is his speed focussed on deep routes??  if its the former then I would not be averse to seeing him maybe getting some of Boyd's targets as whilst Boyd is solid he's not gonna break a long one  (watch him now do exactly that this weekend Wink )
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 10:32 AM)eoxyod Wrote: He's getting snaps but 90%of the time cannot get open at all. He's not good

No that can't be it. The only player on offense outside of the OL we're allowed to say that about is Dalton.  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 10:32 AM)eoxyod Wrote: He's getting snaps but 90%of the time cannot get open at all. He's not good

And based on the pre-season, even if the ball got to him, he'd drop it
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 09:46 AM)ochocincos Wrote: The very few amount of times Dalton has thrown to Core, he looked relatively open but Dalton simply misfired. I don't think Dalton has built that chemistry yet with him like he has other receivers.

The problem with Core that I see is he's kind of a one-trick pony. He can run deep, that's about it (from what I've observed). Until Dalton can connect with him on those long passes, teams won't start accounting for him and therefore freeing up the underneath routes.

He sure looked good on underneath and crossing routes against the Ratbirds at the end of last season...
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 11:02 AM)sonofstat Wrote: I think in the short/medium term we still may not see a lot of him. I would assume that's not a reflection on him but more where we are at right now.

My belief is that Lazor is probably trying to limit playbook and scheme because of the OLine issues and trying to not get too fancy, over ambitious right now. 

We've seen a lot of short drops, passes coming out quick, RB's in the flat...he said his priority as OC was getting Andy back in rhythm and he has achieved that in the first 2 weeks.

We've barely gone vertical thus far (I remember one deep jump ball to AJ and that is about it) and since Lazor has come in we have not been having to chase quick scores.  

At some point that is going to have to change and we will need to open it up, hope our OLine can keep a clean pocket for more than a second and hopefully then Core gets a chance to show up.

PS : is Core a YAC type threat??? or is his speed focussed on deep routes??  if its the former then I would not be averse to seeing him maybe getting some of Boyd's targets as whilst Boyd is solid he's not gonna break a long one  (watch him now do exactly that this weekend Wink )

Here is the thing:  By having Core on the X receiver spot (currently occupied by Lafell), you force either two safeties deep (which helps the rushing attack) and the DB guarding Core usually gives a cushion to prevent the big play, opening up shorter routes.

I think this is a prime example of Marv being Marv and playing a vet with a bigger contract than a guy that can actually make a difference.  Pisses me off. 
Reply/Quote

Core is?  Where he has been getting snaps?  I saw him be the ONLY WR with any separation week 1 and I haven't seen him since.  Where are you getting this from?
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 11:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He sure looked good on underneath and crossing routes against the Ratbirds at the end of last season...

I was at that game. The Ravens didn't really put up much of a fight at all. I don't much stock into that game when assessing anyone.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

This is false.
Core has played 30 offensive snaps in 2017, accounting for 12% of total offensive snaps.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/2017-snap-counts.htm

Maybe you were talking about LaFell, who has taken 90% of offensive snaps and put up only 76 yards of offense this season?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
When faced with challenges the natural tendency is to go back to what you know and what you're good at. When Dalton is faced with which piece of turf he's next going to be eating on throwing downs, naturally his tendency is going to be go to Green or Tight Ends. In the offense simplification that's going on - the coaches realize that too and therefore Core is not in the game.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 12:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is false.
Core has played 30 offensive snaps in 2017, accounting for 12% of total offensive snaps.

Maybe you were talking about LaFell, who has taken 90% of offensive snaps and put up only 76 yards of offense this season?

Re-read what he wrote again. The 90% was of the amount of time he was NOT open. Not on how many offensive snaps Core has taken.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

The theory is he's more of a big guy (like AJ) who can fight for the ball even if not open. That said...yeah I don't know why we kept 7 guys. Josh Malone isn't going to really make a difference either. 

Reply/Quote
Guys like Core and Malone are mainly used deep. You need time and timing to get them the ball. You have neither with this line.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 11:43 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: And based on the pre-season, even if the ball got to him, he'd drop it

Yup.  Core can't separate, and he can't make contested catches, which seriously limits what you can do with him.

There can be other reasons, too.  He may not be picking up the new playbook quickly enough.  If he runs the wrong route, it's not apparent to us if the ball doesn't come his way, but the coaches know and will cut his snaps accordingly.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 12:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is false.

I'm not saying he has a ton but he's getting some. Some of those snaps should have resulted in a catch if he could get open at all.

LaFell is also bad. I agreed with that a long time ago. We can have more than 1 bad WR. 
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 01:09 PM)eoxyod Wrote: I'm not saying he has a ton but he's getting some. Some of those snaps should have resulted in a catch if he could get open at all.

LaFell is also bad. I agreed with that a long time ago. We can have more than 1 bad WR. 

Yea I just misread what you said, as Phil pointed out.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 12:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I was at that game. The Ravens didn't really put up much of a fight at all. I don't much stock into that game when assessing anyone.

I was at that game, too, and I saw their DB giving him a big cushion because he was afraid of getting beat over the top.  I don't put any stock in to the assessment of them not "putting up much of a fight", as this is professional ball and those guys are fighting for their jobs if they aren't a playoff team.  

The point is, Lafell scares no one.
Reply/Quote