Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cody Ford set to visit
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/16/bengals-to-host-cody-ford-for-a-visit/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Interesting. Maybe they're not sold on Volson? I saw some advanced stats on Volson at one point, and they didn't look that good.

I guess Ford could be depth too.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 10:09 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interesting. Maybe they're not sold on Volson? I saw some advanced stats on Volson at one point, and they didn't look that good.

I would think depth, Ford isn't very good from what I've seen.
Reply/Quote
I think Volson is penciled in as the starter again. Now, if they bring someone like Ford in who takes the spot, then that's fine, best player plays....
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 10:09 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interesting. Maybe they're not sold on Volson? I saw some advanced stats on Volson at one point, and they didn't look that good.

Sherling is a free agent now so likely veteran depth/Competition
Reply/Quote
Would be a nice depth piece.

OLine depth has obviously been an issue during the Burrow era.
Reply/Quote
I'm all for building as much depth as possible.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 10:39 AM)BengalBob Wrote: Would be a nice depth piece.

OLine depth has obviously been an issue during the Burrow era.

Yeah, versatile depth at that.  We have needed a player that can play 2 or 3 spots even if they have below average talent.  
Reply/Quote
Well, we currently have zero backup guards signed. Hopefully we nab another in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 10:47 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Well, we currently have zero backup guards signed. Hopefully we nab another in the draft.

Scharping gone?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 10:49 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Scharping gone?

He's a Free Agent who hasn't been brought back yet.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 10:09 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interesting. Maybe they're not sold on Volson? I saw some advanced stats on Volson at one point, and they didn't look that good.

Ford would be the backup.

Guess he’d be this years Scarping
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 10:16 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: I would think depth, Ford isn't very good from what I've seen.

Ford has been surprisingly pretty bad in the NFL, especially in pass protection.
Sacks and total pressures by year:
2019 (423 pass block snaps) - 7 sacks, 31 total pressures
2020 (248 PB snaps) - 0 sacks, 15 total pressures
2021 (323 PB snaps) - 2 sacks, 26 total pressures
2022 (242 PB snaps) - 3 sacks, 20 total pressures
--------------------------------------------------------------
Total (1236 PB snaps) - 12 sacks, 92 total pressures

That's just around (maybe a bit under) 2 full seasons worth of PB snaps.
Jonah, for example, had 724 PB snaps just this past regular season alone.
So you're looking at an average of ~6 sacks and ~45 pressures allowed in a full season.

Compare that to Volson, who allowed 5 sacks and 38 total pressures in regular season last year.
Volson would (and should) likely get the nod over Ford, and Ford wouldn't instill that much confidence.

Now Dalton Risner, on the other hand, would be more interesting.
He is an upgrade in pass protection, and I believe he's still available.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Love the fact that they’re continuing to look seriously into this OL.The OL is the reason we didn’t we didn’t win the SB the year before.And,,,the OL is the reason we didn’t win the AFC championship and go to the SB this year.

Like it or not,that’s just the way it is.This team could be scary good with a top 5 OL.I would sign Ford and Scharping.

And then,I wouldn’t even be disappointed if they drafted an Offensive Lineman with pick 28,if the right one was still on the board.
Reply/Quote
This visit has me not excited at all. I'd rather have Scharping back or draft a rookie.
Reply/Quote
Unless this is a vet minimum deal, bah humbug. Oft-injured, and even when healthy, hasn't been good. Never had a PFF grade above 53.8, gives up a lot of sacks/penalties per snap count, and struggled to get playing time on a bad and decimated Cardinals OL. Lateral move from Adeniji, IMO. If we're looking for depth/competition for Volson, I'd like Risner, or Eluemunor if the price drops.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 12:55 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: This visit has me not excited at all. I'd rather have Scharping back or draft a rookie.

Same. Lateral move from Adeniji at best, and I'd even prefer him because he's younger, less injury prone, and at least already knows the system.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 10:43 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I'm all for building as much depth as possible.

Exactly. End of last season was sickening watching O-Lineman drop. I mean, if someone wins the starter role, you hope they were the best option, but when one goes down, I don't want the guy who was with a moving company 3 weeks ago now starting. Training camp comes around, see what we got with as many bodies as possible. Someone may rise to the top, some may drop. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 12:59 PM)Destro Wrote: Exactly. End of last season was sickening watching O-Lineman drop. I mean, if someone wins the starter role, you hope they were the best option, but when one goes down, I don't want the guy who was with a moving company 3 weeks ago now starting. Training camp comes around, see what we got with as many bodies as possible. Someone may rise to the top, some may drop. 

While he may not be an All-Pro or even a starter, he would provide nice depth for us as a backup since we don't have any depth behind our starters at guard and he could play right tackle in a pinch.

He played with Orlando Brown in college and was a second round pick, so maybe he'll finally live up to his potential.

Like I said, it's a nice depth piece if we sign him and at least our front office is being proactive, especially since injuries showed our lack of depth last year in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote