Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coffee shop refuses to serve man caught on tape confronting Muslim woman
This what I mean when I say bigotry and racism are not only alive and well but people are less and less afraid to show it in public.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/05/15/muslim-woman-confronted-allegedly-islamophobic-man-coffee-shop-which-refuses-serve-him/610430002/

Quote:Another coffee shop confrontation caught on smartphone video is causing a stir on social media -- only this time it involves man angered by a woman who identifies her herself as a Muslim.

A barista at a coffee shop in Riverside, Calif., refused to serve a man after he appears to insult the woman, who is wearing a black niqab, a headscarf that covers most of the face except her eyes.

In a video seen 1.6 million times on Twitter by Monday night, the man turns to the woman and asks, "Is it Halloween or something?" When she replies, "Do you know I am a Muslim?" and inquires whether he has a problem with it, he says, "I don't like your religion, how's that?" and adds, "I don't want to be killed by you."

The incident took place Friday at a Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf shop in Riverside, east of Los Angeles, KTLA-TV reports.

In the confrontation, the woman, in a loud voice, then seeks to engage the man in a discussion about religion, asking him whether he has read the Koran or the Bible, and mentions the teachings of Jesus. The man dismisses her, saying "I don't have any kind of conversation with idiots." 

She says, "You are committing hate speech against me" as another customer is heard shouting at the man from across the room, invoking the f-word and calling him a racist. A barista behind the counter who identifies herself as the supervisor, said she isn't serving the man because he's being disruptive and "being very racist."

He then leaves. 

This latest video, posted to YouTube, comes a month after Starbucks became embroiled in a controversy over racism at a Philadelphia location. In that incident, also videotaped, a manager called police after two black men came to wait for a friend, but didn't order anything. One was denied permission to use the rest room.

Police arrested the pair for trespassing, but Starbucks didn't press charges and both the coffee giant and police later apologized. Starbucks plans to hold a chainwide day of training May 29 to educate employees on issues involving racial sensitivity and profiling.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I dont like the fact a woman in public is wearing something that only allows her eyeballs to be seen. But then again I view and love women differently than how some archaic religious laws do.

But more so the guy was wrong in what he did as well.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-15-2018, 11:40 AM)Millhouse Wrote: I dont like the fact a woman in public is wearing something that only allows her eyeballs to be seen. But then again I view and love women differently than how some archaic religious laws do.

But more so the guy was wrong in what he did as well.

My dad hates beards.  But he'd never yell at someone because they look different than he like.

But I agree with you.
Wait, what? I thought bigots never acted like bigots in public.
(05-15-2018, 11:40 AM)Millhouse Wrote: I dont like the fact a woman in public is wearing something that only allows her eyeballs to be seen. But then again I view and love women differently than how some archaic religious laws do.

I also don't particularly care for women wearing something that only allows her eyeballs to be seen, but then again we live in a country where a number of people seem to think men have little to no control over their sexual urges and that the attire a woman is wearing plays a significant role in how likely a man will be able to keep himself from sexually assaulting her.

We're a complicated society, that's for sure.
The guy acted like an ass and the coffee shop booted him. Seems like a good thing to me.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

I have to also wonder how "afraid" this guy really is of Muslims seeing as he speaks as though this woman is a threat to his life but he also makes a point to antagonize her and start the conflict.
(05-15-2018, 08:46 AM)GMDino Wrote: This what I mean when I say bigotry and racism are not only alive and well but people are less and less afraid to show it in public.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/05/15/muslim-woman-confronted-allegedly-islamophobic-man-coffee-shop-which-refuses-serve-him/610430002/

You can tell the dude was white: he left when asked to leave. Ninja

In all seriousness, my only problem with this story is her response of "You are committing hate speech against me." Not because it's not true or anything like that, but, IMO, it'd be better to respond like the one dude from across the restaurant and just call the dude an effing racist. 
(05-15-2018, 01:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I have to also wonder how "afraid" this guy really is of Muslims seeing as he speaks as though this woman is a threat to his life but he also makes a point to antagonize her and start the conflict.

Maybe his "Is it Halloween?" line was really a pickup line and when she responded the way he did, he decided to go full ******.  Mellow
(05-15-2018, 01:57 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You can tell the dude was white: he left when asked to leave. Ninja

In all seriousness, my only problem with this story is her response of "You are committing hate speech against me." Not because it's not true or anything like that, but, IMO, it'd be better to respond like the one dude from across the restaurant and just call the dude an effing racist. 

To me that falls under the "if ignore the racists they'll just go away" line of thinking.  I think it was brave of her to not back down from this moron.
(05-15-2018, 02:05 PM)GMDino Wrote: To me that falls under the "if ignore the racists they'll just go away" line of thinking.  I think it was brave of her to not back down from this moron.

How is saying she should call him an "effing racist" equal to ignoring him? 
(05-15-2018, 02:05 PM)GMDino Wrote: To me that falls under the "if ignore the racists they'll just go away" line of thinking.  I think it was brave of her to not back down from this moron.

I wonder if the fact that he harassed and antagonized a "dangerous Muslim" and lived to tell the tale has softened his stance on just how dangerous they really are.  It goes beyond racism or bigotry when you see a while male in the USA approach a woman in an aggressive manner all while he is wearing the self-righteous armor that he's supposedly the one in danger.  My god, he's so brave to confront that crazy Muslim woman.
(05-15-2018, 02:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: How is saying she should call him an "effing racist" equal to ignoring him? 

I meant not from across the room.  

Although thinking more about it if she would have called him a racist we'd have 20 pages of people trying to defend what is racist and how he really isn't.   Smirk
(05-15-2018, 02:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: I meant not from across the room.  

Although thinking more about it if she would have called him a racist we'd have 20 pages of people trying to defend what is racist and how he really isn't.   Smirk

I meant not from across the room, too. I meant HER response should be LIKE the guy who yelled from across the room. She should have gotten in his face and called him an effing racist.

True, he's technically not being racist since "Muslim" is not a race, but she shouldn't have to worry about semantics in that situation.
(05-15-2018, 02:18 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I meant not from across the room, too. I meant HER response should be LIKE the guy who yelled from across the room. She should have gotten in his face and called him an effing racist.

True, he's technically not being racist since "Muslim" is not a race, but she shouldn't have to worry about semantics in that situation.

I'd say the last thing a person should do in that situation is meet his fear/aggression with aggressive acts of your own.  This guy supposedly believes Muslims are dangerous, so getting in his face would give him "just cause" to actually attack the woman, or something.  

I'm different than most people from what I can tell, but I've been in situations where people feel inclined to attempt to start things with me and I just let them say what they want to say and move on.  Meeting their aggression instantly validates their attack in the first place and gives them an excuse to "defend themselves" from you.

The most I would have said as a bystander in this situation would have been a smart-ass quip asking if that guy is really afraid of that Muslim woman. I'm not scared of her. Maybe I'm just super brave, or something. I'll distract her and you run away and piss your pants in fear, quick, go!
(05-15-2018, 02:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd say the last thing a person should do in that situation is meet his fear/aggression with aggressive acts of your own.  This guy supposedly believes Muslims are dangerous, so getting in his face would give him "just cause" to actually attack the woman, or something.  

I'm different than most people from what I can tell, but I've been in situations where people feel inclined to attempt to start things with me and I just let them say what they want to say and move on.  Meeting their aggression instantly validates their attack in the first place and gives them an excuse to "defend themselves" from you.

I disagree if we're talking verbal altercations. Yes, you don't want to necessarily meet physical violence with physical violence (unless necessary), but I see no reason to not let someone respond to a strong opinion with an equally or stronger one. Sure, maybe you might want to consider if someone could respond to your response with physical violence, but sometimes certain things need to be said.
(05-15-2018, 02:30 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I disagree if we're talking verbal altercations. Yes, you don't want to necessarily meet physical violence with physical violence (unless necessary), but I see no reason to not let someone respond to a strong opinion with an equally or stronger one. Sure, maybe you might want to consider if someone could respond to your response with physical violence, but sometimes certain things need to be said.

I see what you are saying, but that guy is more likely to wear being called a racist by a Muslim as a badge of honor than he is to actually take it to heart and change his mind.  

This guy is like a barking dog.  He's annoying, but ehh, dog's gonna bark and he's not going to listen to reason so why should I actually bless this man with my time and wisdom?  Plus, no matter what you say to this guy he's still going to go tell his buddies that he totally kicked your ass and he won the day.
So you know what would have been funny?

Not saying I would want this to happen, but imagine if after the guy got kicked out of the coffee shop she blew it up and everyone there died except him.
(05-15-2018, 02:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I see what you are saying, but that guy is more likely to wear being called a racist by a Muslim as a badge of honor than he is to actually take it to heart and change his mind.  

This guy is like a barking dog.  He's annoying, but ehh, dog's gonna bark and he's not going to listen to reason so why should I actually bless this man with my time and wisdom?  Plus, no matter what you say to this guy he's still going to go tell his buddies that he totally kicked your ass and he won the day.

That's why I think she should've just went with the "effing racist" than the "You are  committing hate speech against me." I think she tried to reason with him when she should've just shut hiim up.
(05-15-2018, 02:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you know what would have been funny?

Not saying I would want this to happen, but imagine if after the guy got kicked out of the coffee shop she blew it up and everyone there died except him.

I admit. I lol'd.