Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cohen hearing
(02-28-2019, 11:10 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: They just took the "I have a black friend" card to a whole new level

no shit man.  

- here's a black aide that works for trump and agreed to come here
- im not racist for using this person as a prop in this political theater
   - black man, you are one of my best friends
   - nobody knows this, except my black man best friend, but my grandkids are black
- therefore, i am not racially insensitive, look at all the black people i just pointed out
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
So because a black aide to Trump was there she's a prop? Maybe I'm missing something. Were there any white aids?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-28-2019, 11:43 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Am i missing something?  What would having a black aide to prove you aren't racist mean in these hearings?

A number of Congressional Republicans were lining up to defend Trump's character as an honest man who loves this country and puts it before his own self gain while attacking Cohen for being a greedy liar.

Since Cohen's statements were released early, and it was known he'd mention times when he saw Trump be racist, Mark Meadows decided to bring a black aide who works for Trump to prove that Trump could not be racist.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-28-2019, 09:13 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Mark Meadows later was upset at the suggestion of Rashida Tlaib that some may consider it racist to bring a black woman who knows Trump as a "prop" to prove he can't be racist if he has a black aide. 

Mark Meadows wanted to assure everyone he wasn't, especially since Elijah Cummings is one of his best friends.

Mark Meadows, however, said this about Obama in 2012: "What we're going to do is take back our country. 2012 is the time to send Mr. Obama home to Kenya or wherever it is". It was met with applause as he stood next to the "Tea Party Express" bus. 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/02/28/mark-meadows-obama-kenya-2012-vpx.cnn

I believe everyone harbors prejudices, including based on race, but people get very defensive when pointing that out. I tend to do this sort of thing, which is pointing out the action as being racist rather than the person, as I feel it provides more opportunity for growth through understanding. Of course, some people just get hyper defensive at that as well. It definitely shows vulnerability when they do that and you can often find a repertoire of racist actions in their past. However, the important thing about taking this route is it recognizes the individual may not know that what they did/said was racist.

I wish we could be more open to listening to each other and having discussions about these issues. Trying to understand where someone might be coming from is just good practice.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-28-2019, 11:16 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: no shit man.  

- here's a black aide that works for trump and agreed to come here
- im not racist for using this person as a prop in this political theater
   - black man, you are one of my best friends
   - nobody knows this, except my black man best friend, but my grandkids are black
- therefore, i am not racially insensitive, look at all the black people i just pointed out

Dude, the entire thing was political theater.
(02-28-2019, 11:47 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: A number of Congressional Republicans were lining up to defend Trump's character as an honest man who loves this country and puts it before his own self gain while attacking Cohen for being a greedy liar.

Since Cohen's statements were released early, and it was known he'd mention times when he saw Trump be racist, Mark Meadows decided to bring a black aide who works for Trump to prove that Trump could not be racist.

I changed my question because I realized they were talking about Trump and not Meadows.  Was she the only aide?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-28-2019, 11:49 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I believe everyone harbors prejudices, including based on race, but people get very defensive when pointing that out. I tend to do this sort of thing, which is pointing out the action as being racist rather than the person, as I feel it provides more opportunity for growth through understanding. Of course, some people just get hyper defensive at that as well. It definitely shows vulnerability when they do that and you can often find a repertoire of racist actions in their past. However, the important thing about taking this route is it recognizes the individual may not know that what they did/said was racist.

I wish we could be more open to listening to each other and having discussions about these issues. Trying to understand where someone might be coming from is just good practice.

Tlaib deserves some blame for her language. She tried to walk back what she said, but had she just said "insensitive" and explained why instead of adding "some may see it as racist", it would have gone over better (I hope).

(02-28-2019, 11:57 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I changed my question because I realized they were talking about Trump and not Meadows.  Was she the only aide?

The only one I saw. I watched about 3 hours worth and then saw some videos of other segments.

(02-28-2019, 11:57 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Dude, the entire thing was political theater.

dude, i agree.  

(02-28-2019, 12:08 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Tlaib deserves some blame for her language. She tried to walk back what she said, but had she just said "insensitive" and explained why instead of adding "some may see it as racist", it would have gone over better (I hope).

absolutely.  she looked like a scared puppy shuffling through her notes when elijah pointed that gavel her way.  i mean, if you're going to say it, stick by it.  she back tracked and looked out of her league.  but it was a good point and his reaction said everything we needed to know.
(02-28-2019, 12:14 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: dude, i agree.  

absolutely.  she looked like a scared puppy shuffling through her notes when elijah pointed that gavel her way.  i mean, if you're going to say it, stick by it.  she back tracked and looked out of her league.  but it was a good point and his reaction said everything we needed to know.

She should have just winked at him afterwards.   Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-28-2019, 12:08 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The only one I saw. I watched about 3 hours worth and then saw some videos of other segments.

I didn't realize he actually pointed to her as proof. I thought people were just saying her presence there was a prop.  That's bad.

(02-28-2019, 11:46 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So because a black aide to Trump was there she's a prop?  Maybe I'm missing something.  Were there any white aids?

Honestly, this is what it kind of comes down to, a lot of this has to do with perspective.  I don't know her exact language, but Tlalib essentially said bringing her in was a racist gesture or something along those lines causing meadows into conniption and showing his true colors.  Ultimately, he is unable to understand how that could be interpreted as racist or insensitive.  And that pretty much sums up our entire country right now.

amazing.  
(02-28-2019, 11:46 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So because a black aide to Trump was there she's a prop?  Maybe I'm missing something.  Were there any white aids?

Remember, only Republicans are racist. Anything they do or say about people of color is due to their racism - even if it's something good.  Whatever
(02-28-2019, 12:21 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Honestly, this is what it kind of comes down to, a lot of this has to do with perspective.  I don't know her exact language, but Tlalib essentially said bringing her in was a racist gesture or something along those lines causing meadows into conniption and showing his true colors.  Ultimately, he is unable to understand how that could be interpreted as racist or insensitive.  And that pretty much sums up our entire country right now.

amazing.  

Like I said, I didn't realize he actually pointed her out.  I wouldn't call it racist, but it's a horrible tactic.

(02-28-2019, 12:25 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Remember, only Republicans are racist. Anything they do or say about people of color is due to their racism - even if it's something good.  Whatever

I think you might have missed out on all of the uproar from Democrats over the blackface controversy in Virginia.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-28-2019, 11:57 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Dude, the entire thing was political theater.

What are you talking about? This is a search for truth! Why else would you bring a lawyer convicted of lying to Congress before Congress? Mellow
(02-28-2019, 12:27 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Like I said, I didn't realize he actually pointed her out.  I wouldn't call it racist, but it's a horrible tactic.

I don't think I would call it 'racist' either, but the optics sure as hell aren't great.  Tlalib jumped on the opp and exposed him though.
(02-28-2019, 12:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think you might have missed out on all of the uproar from Democrats over the blackface controversy in Virginia.

I did. I heard many right-wingers complain about it, but I haven't heard from any Democrats. Not to say there weren't any, but I didn't hear what I would describe as an "uproar" from the left.
(02-28-2019, 12:30 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I don't think I would call it 'racist' either, but the optics sure as hell aren't great.  Tlalib jumped on the opp and exposed him though.

I thought she was the one who came out of that exchange looking bad.
(02-28-2019, 12:54 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I did. I heard many right-wingers complain about it, but I haven't heard from any Democrats. Not to say there weren't any, but I didn't hear what I would describe as an "uproar" from the left.

Yeah, there was a HUGE uproar on the left. Just about every prominent Democrat in Virginia called for his resignation, and Democrats on the national level did, too. There are protests in Richmond on a daily basis from progressive groups calling for his resignation.

As a Democrat in Virginia, I've been in the thick of it all. It would take me a long time to pull together all the stories, tweets, and statements about it from the left.