Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Collins is back
(08-19-2022, 11:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Steele gave up only 2 sacks in 910 snaps last season, and is currently the starting RT on their depth chart. Their 1st round pick is at LG.

None of that changes the fact that dude rated at 64 last year and Dallas spent a 1st RD pick in an OT. 

I hope LC works out and is our RT for years. But I don't think Dallas cut him because of his affordable contract or because of Terrence Steele's awesomeness. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 11:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: None of that changes the fact that dude rated at 64 last year and Dallas spent a 1st RD pick in an OT. 

I hope LC works out and is our RT for years. But I don't think Dallas cut him because of his affordable contract or because of Terrence Steele's awesomeness. 

PFF grades, and draft picks aside - the Cowboys evidently feel confident in Steele as their current starting RT.

I’m sure there’s multiple factors in why they chose to let Collins walk (the suspension probably didn’t help). I don’t think him being a cap casualty should be so quickly dismissed though. Take a look at Dallas’ cap situation for 2023.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Reply/Quote
Exclamation 
(08-19-2022, 10:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ..and he was on a very affordable contract. Why did Dallas cut a top 5 graded RT and a top 15 OT on a bargain contract?

Affordable or not(subjective) it saved 10 million dollars against the cap for a team that was right up against it. Not sure what’s hard to understand here lol.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 11:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: ^That’s not quibbling over semantics. It’s calling out blatant misinformation. He purposely made it sound like there was another set back that resulted in Collins leaving practice.

All he said was that Collins was out with a back problem. And that was 100% true. He was out of the 11-on-11 because of his back problem.

You are pitching a squealy fit over semantics.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2022, 09:11 AM)AlphaBengal Wrote: Affordable or not(subjective) it saved 10 million dollars against the cap for a team that was right up against it. Not sure what’s hard to understand here lol.

I see it both ways. I rec'd you both. Teams don't normally release high-performing players on bargain deals. But there are still cap concerns. Neither explanation is enough for me, and I think there's an unreported piece to the story. It wouldn't be the first time. 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2022, 09:11 AM)AlphaBengal Wrote: Affordable or not(subjective) it saved 10 million dollars against the cap for a team that was right up against it. Not sure what’s hard to understand here lol.

Sure. 

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2022, 11:52 AM)tms Wrote: I see it both ways. I rec'd you both. Teams don't normally release high-performing players on bargain deals. But there are still cap concerns. Neither explanation is enough for me, and I think there's an unreported piece to the story. It wouldn't be the first time. 

An owner with as much cash as Jerry Jones could easily clear cap space by turning Salary into a signing bonus. I guess I'm just a bigger fan of LC's onfield performance than some.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2022, 12:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: An owner with as much cash as Jerry Jones could easily clear cap space by turning Salary into a signing bonus. I guess I'm just a bigger fan of LC's onfield performance than some.

Yeah. I think the idea that you need to release good players to create cap is a fallacy. Teams re-structure contracts all the time without sacrificing assets. Teams weren't exactly falling over themselves to sign him, either, and he inked a similar "bargain deal" with the Bengals. I don't want to be paranoid about it but i could see how there may be lingering questions about Collins' durability- something like that, anyway- that might have had more to do with his release than his cap tag.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 11:14 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: PFF had him ranked as the 13th best tackle in the league earlier this year just outside the "elite" tier in their mind.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-offensive-tackle-rankings-tiers

Collins has to be viewed as the biggest upgrade and best addition to the team from this offseason.

Nice, that is overall Tackles even. I could argue he is the best RT in the NFL and it isn't a bad argument.

No way the Cowgirl fans liked losing him, they are just hoping he gets injured with us so they can justify losing him.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2022, 10:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: All he said was that Collins was out with a back problem. And that was 100% true. He was out of the 11-on-11 because of his back problem.

No it wasn’t. Now go argue with a wall.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2022, 06:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No it wasn’t. Now go argue with a wall.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 01:11 PM)pally Wrote: Collins is back at practice today and dressed for participation

(08-18-2022, 10:53 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well that did not last long went out of practice with back issue again.

(08-20-2022, 10:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: All he said was that Collins was out with a back problem. And that was 100% true. He was out of the 11-on-11 because of his back problem.

What part of that exchange are you having trouble with, Fred?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2022, 08:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What part of that exchange are you having trouble with

Like I already said, I don't have trouble with any if it. 

You must have me confused with Nicomo.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 07:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You must have me confused with Nicomo.

I should hope not. LOL

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 07:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Like I already said, I don't have trouble with any if it. 

You must have me confused with Nicomo.

No. You are having trouble because what he said is not what you are saying he said. 

If you don't think he said something completely different than what happened, then you have a perception problem. 

No biggie though. It's not worth having a 3 page discussion. He and you are simply wrong. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I want to go on record that I didn’t decline to say what you thought I didn’t appear to say, but that I wholeheartedly approve if what was reported as to my other previous statements, even if said reports are premature and taken out of context.

Carry on then, lads.

Walks away Muttering (wheres grampahol when you need him, somebodies got to be the off kilter comic relief around here, and what’s up with the…raids…jumping the shark…banks service charges… …chargers going electric …)
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 11:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Steele gave up only 2 sacks in 910 snaps last season, and is currently the starting RT on their depth chart. Their 1st round pick is at LG.

So PFF rankings are useless.... 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

That typically that isn't a cut made on the Offensive line when you have a top 12-15 tackle under contract for "only" 10m a year. 

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2022, 08:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What part of that exchange are you having trouble with, Fred?

Collins was back at practice

Collins was out for 11 on 11's due to his back issue which clearly is chronic(i.e again) and something that's going to have to be managed closely all year. 

People read the statement how they wanted to. That's on them, and that's ok.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 12:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: That typically that isn't a cut made on the Offensive line when you have a top 12-15 tackle under contract for "only" 10m a year. 

Absolutely it is. When you have a young player(Steele) on a bargain deal that you like at a non-premium position like RT when your QB's blindside is on the left, it is a cut you make.

Better yet, do me a favour. Look at the Cowboys roster right now. Who are you cutting, if not Collins to save 10 million? Gallup? Demarcus Lawerence? Zach Martin? Tyron Smith? I'll wait, but you won't come up with anyone. The best you can do is 3-4 guys but then you're gutting your depth and 2-3 starters.
Reply/Quote