Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Collins' visit is over
(03-19-2022, 10:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Browns crippled themselves with one big trade, but they have not given a single free agent a deal worth more than $4 million per year.

Meanwhile they lost their starting TE (Austin Hooper), and they still have big holes to fill from free agent starters at WR (Jarvis Landry), C (Tretter), DE (Clowney), and DT (Malik Jackson). 

Their offseason has been a complete shitshow yet everyone is dazzled by one big move.  It is crazy to be jealous of what they have done.

Well when your one big move is going from Baker to Watson…yeah it’s a big deal. It’s like us going from Dalton to Burrow. They also upgraded at WR, and losing Hooper wasn’t a big deal. Njoku is their stud TE, not hooper. Clowney May go back. But yes they lost Malik and Tretter. But upgrading at QB far out ways all that.

They may have cap problems in the future but so will we. It’s about the now, we’re both trying to win a chip, and they are going more “all in”.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:33 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Homegrown guys willing to stay here

Name a free agent coming from another team who they’ve given big money to on the o-line

and no, Kappa doesn’t count. He’s a middle of the road guy

Pretty sure Cordy Glenn was one of the highest paid LT’s when we traded for him (like top 10).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:33 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Homegrown guys willing to stay here

Name a free agent coming from another team who they’ve given big money to on the o-line

and no, Kappa doesn’t count. He’s a middle of the road guy

We took on Cordy Glenn's 5 year 60 Mil contract
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pretty sure Cordy Glenn was one of the highest paid LT’s when we traded for him (like top 10).

(03-19-2022, 10:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We took on Cordy Glenn's 5 year 60 Mil contract

That’s through a trade
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:28 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Yes, we know, bengals spend big money

Just not on o-line

In 2006 Levi Jones and Willie Anderson were the highest paid starting tackles in the entire league.

We also gave Whit a huge contract.

And we took on Cordy Glenn's contract when he was the 8th highest paid OT in the league.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:39 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: That’s through a trade

So.  You were talking about spending money.  What difference does it make how he got here?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:39 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: That’s through a trade

Yes the semantics makes the concepts totally different, He was a high dollar olineman that we took on. 

I suppose if we help NO clear up some cap and trade for Ryan  Ramcyck it "won't count". 

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So.  You were talking about spending money.  What difference does it make how he got here?

Having to admit you were wrong. 

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I suppose if we help NO clear up some cap and trade for Ryan  Ramcyck it "won't count". 

Correct
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In 2006 Levi Jones and Willie Anderson were the highest paid starting tackles in the entire league.

We also gave Whit a huge contract.

And we took on Cordy Glenn's contract when he was the 8th highest paid OT in the league.

All homegrown guys

Corey Glenn was through a trade
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Trey Hendrickson was coming off a 13.5 sack season when we signed him and he was one of the more sought after FAs of his class. DJ Reeder was the top DT in his FA class. Trae Waynes was the top Cb in his FA class.

I get you don't want to  be wrong, but you are. 

One season of production remember? That does not make you established Tier 1 but rather up and comer. 

People are missing the point. It is that there seems to be a Free Agent grouping where the Bengals always do the "visit and they leave and sign elsewhere" spiel. It is not always OL but what it DOES seem to have in common are players who are considered top rated at their positions by the football community (not necessary the top player in some FA class - Waynes may have been high in that class but as a CB was middle tier). That is why I said "established Tier 1". 

If I had to guess why this happens it is that the Bengals never approach any player with the idea that they WILL get this deal done. It's always conditional. What I suggested is their approach seems to work better with up and comers (witness Cappa and Karras just this offseason) than with established Tier 1 so perhaps they should stick to those types of players. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:36 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: It's not that we should care, but Denny is a homer's homer. I can't believe he would ever say anything negative about the organization. He was such a lackey and kiss up, no matter how bad things were before, he would defend  the team and front office to the end. 

He must not be allowed in PBS any more to suck mike brown's...  whoa, wait a minute!

What were we talking about?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:28 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Yes, we know, bengals spend big money

Just not on o-line

This was dude's original post that folks disputed. He's moved the goalpost ever since, when folks proved it wrong.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:45 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He must not be allowed in PBS any more to suck mike brown's...  whoa, wait a minute!

Go on...
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This was dude's original post that folks disputed. He's moved the goalpost ever since, when folks proved it wrong.

The dude does not abide
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I never thought I would see Denny post something that wasn't upbeat and non-positive about the Bengals organization. That is the most sour I've ever seen him.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: Trey was an up and comer when we signed him. He was not established Tier 1 like I stated. Of course he REALLY worked out well.

Reader is similar in not being established Tier 1 when the Bengals got him. He got there after being here (last season actually).

The year they got Reader, everyone was screaming for a LB. They couldn't land Schobert or Littleton, so they went after Reader. I think that worked out pretty damn well. 

Last year, a lot of people wanted them to pay Lawson, but they went after Hendrickson instead. That ended up pretty damn good.

Just because they don't do exactly what the fans want, doesn't mean they're automatically making the wrong decisions. We don't even know what Collins was asking for or what the Bengals were offering.

FFS, let things play out and see what happens.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What do you consider Trey Hendrickson?

I consider him a damn good player that i was sure was going to Cleveland last year but he came here. I'm so happy i was wrong on that one.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So.  You were talking about spending money.  What difference does it make how he got here?

Trades are different because the team receiving the player isn't on the hook for the full amount of guaranteed money. If I remember the Bengals were on the hook for 4mil total guaranteed with Cordy and a base salary of like 9m per year. That sounds like a lot but they didnt have to pay out the front loades signing bonuses ect.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Exactly.... and even though Waynes hasn't worked out he was the prize CB in his FA class. 

Folks just get mad and lose rational thought. 

Look, I agree with what you're trying to put down overall, but that's some outright nonsense Bfine...

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/2020-nfl-free-agency-top-10-free-agent-cornerbacks
5th

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1949119
4th

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/2020-NFL-free-agency-preview-Cornerbacks-15117271.php
8th

https://www.nfl.com/news/ten-cornerbacks-worth-pursuing-in-free-agency-2020-nfl-draft-0ap3000001102237
Not in Top-10

https://fansided.com/2020/02/17/nfl-free-agency-2020-top-cornerbacks/
Not in Top-5

....he was coming off back-to-back 1 INT/8 PDEF seasons. His last season before FA he allowed 74% completion and 107.9 QB Rating in his coverage. If you care about PFF, he had a 65.1, which is just okay. By no means was he the prize of his FA class. Lol

(03-19-2022, 10:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We took on Cordy Glenn's 5 year 60 Mil contract

The Bengals took on Cordy Glenn's 3yr/$30m contract. The Bills had already paid him the first 2yr/$30m of it ($16m signing bonus).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote