Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Collins' visit is over
(03-20-2022, 10:59 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I am amazed at some of the groups reactions, like we have been doing nothing in FA over the past 2 to 3 years and we never sign players to big contracts ( i believe we ranked very high in extending our own players, good or bad take i guess).. Think if we were this active during Palmer years or Dalton years.  

Sometimes also it is not how active you are is how well you do with your choices and structure of $$ so it does not hurt you badly done the road

Agree. There were people saying last preseason that a successful season would be 9 wins (and considered the chances of that happening to be very slim). The recent past in roster construction has me giving them the benefit of the doubt in terms of trusting the process. I am super involved in the stock market and The Bengals have operated in a strategy seemingly that reminds me of a value investing approach to minimize risk, precipitate longer term success, and not give into FOMO and overpay (fear of missing out). So far the approach to the line this year reminds me of how the defense was improved. To address the secondary- Instead of overspending for the top corner in the class (or overpaying William Jackson )- they signed multiple pieces at what they considered fair value. I want Collins extremely bad too, but I am choosing to trust their process , assuming the last few years is indicative to how they now operate.
***edited to qualify that I’m not just a myopic fan unwilling to be critical of the team ; I just think we have a lot to be excited and happy about currently as fans of the team.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 02:04 AM)TKUHL Wrote: The tax situation must be enticing

That, and having Brady back and every player down there wanting to stay or return since the NFC is a battle of, what, one team?  Green Bay without Adams is meh...they lost to Garapollo at home WITH him.  The Rams are losing guys left and right.  The 49ers have a massively inexperienced QB.  

The AFC?

Well. You have to face:

Browns led by Watson
Bengals led by Burrow
Ratbirds led by Jackson
Bills led by Allen
Chiefs led by Mahomes
Raiders led by Carr
Broncos led by Wilson
Chargers led by Herbert

The AFC South will suck probably, but they were the #1 seed a year ago (Titans).

No one in their right mind will play in the AFC if they care about an easy path to the Super Bowl.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 09:31 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Another showing of Bengals FO undervaluing OL players. It was obviously about money. Bengals wouldn’t give him the deal he wanted. He’s a top 5, at worst 10, RT in the NFL. We have prince. Who is probably somewhere along 50-60th. We’ve resigned players, yes, but we’ve only added 2 players this off-season, while losing Ogenjobi. We’re barley improved over last years team.

FA period isn’t over, but why do we always settle for the dust to settle and grab what’s left? And no, this isn’t about a failed physical. Bengals wouldn’t be still in the mix if he failed a physical. They failed closing the deal.

Well you were obviously wrong and that comes from Willie Anderson. Willie Anderson states the Bengals are very much in play for Collins and that him leaving was not at all about the money of the offer. Willie said there were some hold ups on contract structure and as well that this is Collins' first go round in FA so there is nothing at all wrong with testing the market.

Are you talking about the Ogenjobi who failed his physical with Chicago while we added BJ Hill who was pivotal down the stretch when Larry was injured. As well, news flash...RT was not the weak link on this line even after Reiff went down with injury. The interior of the line was the issue and it has been dramatically improved.

I would say what you seem to find "obvious" is anything but.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 11:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I suspect when they shut the old board down, he lost his access and is harboring a bad case of Butthurt.

I remember a LONG time ago...when it was under Bengals management, when someone (a brilliant someone) made a fake profile with Denny's picture and called it "Pollyanna".  It had hilarious photoshop pictures, etc. I died laughing every time I saw it...even though it only lasted like a day.  

The last time I laughed that hard was when someone shared a GIF of Piggy running to his right, throwing the ball, and basically faceplanting untouched.  I literally could not stop watching it and laughing. 
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 11:30 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Well you were obviously wrong and that comes from Willie Anderson. Willie Anderson states the Bengals are very much in play for Collins and that him leaving was not at all about the money of the offer. Willie said there were some hold ups on contract structure and as well that this is Collins' first go round in FA so there is nothing at all wrong with testing the market.

Are you talking about the Ogenjobi who failed his physical with Chicago while we added BJ Hill who was pivotal down the stretch when Larry was injured. As well, news flash...RT was not the weak link on this line even after Reiff went down with injury. The interior of the line was the issue and it has been dramatically improved.

I would say what you seem to find "obvious" is anything but.

Yeah, I want an upgrade at RT, but you're absolutely right.  Prince is no world beater, but he held up a lot better than I thought he would.  The glaring weak spot was RG, and it has been for several years.  Look at the names since Zeitler left.  Redmond.  Sua Filo.  An overweight Carman.  Adeniji.  The spot has been a black hole of sucking for a half decade.  They filled that need with a really good player immediately and got an upgrade at center.  We all want more upgrades, but the things they've done should make a big difference.
Reply/Quote
The same posters crying and moaning about Bengals not guaranteeing money want Waynes cut (5 million cap hit due to guaranteed money and would have been larger a year ago). If those fans got their way Waynes (who had no injury history prior to his signing would have received more guaranteed money).

At some point fans have to recognize, Bengals FO way of structuring contracts put them in a position to assemble a FA and draft roster that got them to the Super Bowl. It was not like Rams blew us out, in fact, they needed some Ram friendly calls (Wilson hold) to get that go ahead TD.

The fear of how hard it is to get back is overwhelming the common sense of some fans. Regardless of who we sign, it will tough to get back to the playoffs and win the AFC every year. That is true for every team, see KC, TB and GB in 2021.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 11:50 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The fear of how hard it is to get back is overwhelming the common sense of some fans. Regardless of who we sign, it will tough to get back to the playoffs and win the AFC every year. That is true for every team, see KC, TB and GB in 2021.

Tampa Bay won in 2020 and returned all 22 starters last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 11:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Tampa Bay won in 2020 and returned all 22 starters last year.

Interesting part about Rams is they added 2 key pieces after the season started. V. Miller and O. Beckham. Yet, we have fans whining in March 4 days into FA our FO is not doing enough. The same front office who has 2021 executive of the year Tobin????????????????

It is scary how short the memories are of some.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 11:10 AM)M.W. Wrote: If you really wanted a Mercedes and went to see one but it was too expensive especially since you know it had mechanical issues in the past but you figured you would negotiate with the dealer however you could never get the price to a point in which you were comfortable do you buy it anyway just to impress your neighbors?

I trust the front office.

Go look at Bengals free agents in 2025. Make your head spin. They have now, now and now to win a super bowl before the team gets reset. So contract terms on money and duration are equally important.
They’ve done well in free agency 2022, more is to come. It’s a better team now than February 13, 2022 despite losing CJ( a non factor in the SB).
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 12:07 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Go look at Bengals free agents in 2025. Make your head spin. They have now, now and now to win a super bowl before the team gets reset.  So contract terms on money and duration are equally important.
They’ve done well in free agency 2022, more is to come. It’s a better team now than February 13, 2022 despite losing CJ( a non factor in the SB).

Take a look at not the number of player signed, but dead money on contracts of players from other teams in 2022, 2023 and 2024. If Watson has some type of career ending ending injury or severe injury impacting his play as a QB, the fully guaranteed money would kill the Browns for a very long time.

I am not wishing that on Watson or any player, but huge risk Browns took and that is not taking in other risk of him being suspended in 2022.

Reply/Quote
Go get Tretter. Move Karras to LG. Let Carman, Smith, and a rookie battle it out for RT. We’re gonna have one “weak” link on the offensive line regardless, pick your poison on its position. Fix the pressure coming up the middle, use your TE to help your RT. I’d think any one of those three could play well next to Cappa. I know its not IDEAL, but the young guys gotta play too and Carman played LT in college, Smith was an undersized tackle coming out who is no longer undersized, and a rookie would be some GREAT competition! Whoever earns it, REALLY earned it!
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 12:12 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Take a look at not the number of player signed, but dead money on contracts of players from other teams in 2022, 2023 and 2024. If Watson has some type of career ending ending injury or severe injury impacting his play as a QB, the fully guaranteed money would crew the Browns for a very long time.

I am not wishing that on Watson or any player, but huge risk Browns took and that is not taking in other risk of him being suspended in 2022.

Which is why Cleveland set it up as his salary to only be 1M. Speaking of,  could the league decide that they wait until next year to suspend Watson so that he actually gets a real punishment for his actions instead of a slap on the wrist? (if this question isn't the right place to ask, I apologize)
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 12:17 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Go get Tretter. Move Karras to LG. Let Carman, Smith, and a rookie battle it out for RT. We’re gonna have one “weak” link on the offensive line regardless, pick your poison on its position. Fix the pressure coming up the middle, use your TE to help your RT. I’d think any one of those three could play well next to Cappa. I know its not IDEAL, but the young guys gotta play too and Carman played LT in college, Smith was an undersized tackle coming out who is no longer undersized, and a rookie would be some GREAT competition! Whoever earns it, REALLY earned it!

I want the bengals to get tretter and move karras to LG, but the front office doesn’t want to throw in the towel on Carman just yet. They’re gonna let LG be decided through pre-season competition
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 12:19 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I want the bengals to get tretter and move karras to LG, but the front office doesn’t want to throw in the towel on Carman just yet. They’re gonna let LG be decided through pre-season competition

I mean, they can't just buy the whole team in FA, they will have to have a rookie deal players somewhere on the line. Whether we draft a OL to play or the rookies from last year, somewhere there will be one/two. Case-in-point, look at the totally revamped KC line, 2-3 players on rookie deals, Humphrey, Smith and Niang.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 12:24 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I mean, they can't just buy the whole team in FA, they will have to have a rookie deal players somewhere on the line. Whether we draft a OL to play or the rookies from last year, somewhere there will be one/two. Case-in-point, look at the totally revamped KC line, 2-3 players on rookie deals, Humphrey, Smith and Niang.

If Carman is battling it out with 1 other player for the starting LG position, the bengals need to get at least a Riley Reiff level right tackle
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 12:06 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Interesting part about Rams is they added 2 key pieces after the season started. V. Miller and O. Beckham. Yet, we have fans whining in March 4 days into FA our FO is not doing enough. The same front office who has 2021 executive of the year Tobin????????????????

It is scary how short the memories are of some.

I think some really jump the gun. Free Agency is such a bargaining thing. And…each free agent has different priorities. I think that the Bengals FO deserves their previous reputation for free agent decisions. But I think based on the previous 2 years they’ve seemed to move in a more aggressive fashion. I think his children and close advisers have been given more respect in decisions. They want to win. But he won’t let them be reckless. We just don’t know what’s going on and is in play with Collins. I think that if somebody throws a ridiculous contract with either more guaranteed money or dollars or length then NOT hemorrhaging the future is definitely a factor.
Reply/Quote
Malik Wright
@Wrightreportt
·
Mar 19, 2022
Collins update

1. No he did not fail his physical ( any report of that isn’t true)

2. He liked Cincinnati

3. It’s important to remember he’s 28 years old and he’s never been a FA before nothing wrong with testing out market

4. Cincinnati is still in play

RELAX we’ll see

Willie Anderson
@BigWillie7179
It’s all about contract Structure. Not money
10:52 PM · Mar 19, 2022
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 12:24 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I mean, they can't just buy the whole team in FA, they will have to have a rookie deal players somewhere on the line. Whether we draft a OL to play or the rookies from last year, somewhere there will be one/two. Case-in-point, look at the totally revamped KC line, 2-3 players on rookie deals, Humphrey, Smith and Niang.

Giving up on a 2ed round pick by his second year is how you wreck a team.
I didn’t hate in him last season. He showed nastiness, a uncoachable trait. Let him compete this year and next year, nothing promised.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 12:25 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: If Carman is battling it out with 1 other player for the starting LG position, the bengals need to get at least a Riley Reiff level right tackle

Fair enough, I read your post wrong. I think I read it as inferring you wanted the whole team bought with FA. After re-reading I redact my statement. But yea, at least a RR level still gives you two rookie deals on OL right now with Jonah plus LG comp.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 12:30 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Giving up on a 2ed round pick by his second year is how you wreck a team.
I didn’t hate in him last season.  He showed nastiness, a uncoachable trait.

Thats what I think they do and I don't fault it, especially if they make it open competition between him and Smith. There's plenty of instances where lower picks out perform higher. If they give it the competition, at least they aren't just handing it and hoping for improvement but rather letting him earn it.
Reply/Quote