Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colts cut Werner
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/colts-cut-bust-bjoern-werner/

Former 1st round pick.  Beast for florida state as a DE. He didn't make the transition to 3-4 OLB.  Also he would not risk any of our precious comp picks next season since he was a "cut".

Quote:Bottom Line: Werner isn’t an elite prospect but is a solid talent. He’s the top 4-3 DE in this draft and should come off the board in the top fifteen picks. Werner is an impressive pass rusher that plays equally well against the run. Werner came to FSU as a German foreign exchange student and became an instant success on campus. The scary part about Werner is that he’s still learning the game and hasn’t hit his full stride at this point in his young career. As I said, don’t be surprised if Werner gets lost in the shuffle among the elite athletes in the class.

http://nflsfuture.com/2012/12/24/bjoern-werner-scouting-report/

I would be very interested in seeing him brought in here as a possible replacement for Gilberry.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
Always willing to give a pass rusher a try.
Reply/Quote
I'd be down, never understood why a 3-4 team took him. He fits much better as a 4-3 end.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Bring him in, that's a Bengals type of signing and I'd be all for it. Let him and Hunt fight it out for a roster spot
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 10:25 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: I'd be down, never understood why a 3-4 team took him. He fits much better as a 4-3 end.

agreed.
Reply/Quote
Lots of folks liked Werner coming out and he is just one of a couple highly rated DEs that are available because they did not work out in a 3-4. Nick Perry from GB is another. I'd be happy to bring in either
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'd be up for it, a Bengals type of player..
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
The guy that screams Bengals project to me is Quinton Coples. He's still around.

Fits the mold, big, can play both inside and out.
Reply/Quote
On a prove it deal but nothing more than that.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Germanator!!!! Like others have said he might flourish in a 4-3, but never was gonna make it as a 3-4 OLB
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 10:25 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: I'd be down, never understood why a 3-4 team took him. He fits much better as a 4-3 end.

I liked him in the draft too and thought his best fit was 4-3 DE. So many teams fail at trying to convert a DE to OLB and vice versa.

At this point, he couldn't be any worse than Margus Hunt...could he?

Give him a shot!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 11:06 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The guy that screams Bengals project to me is Quinton Coples.  He's still around.

Give Werner and Coples the lockers that belonged to Derrick Harvey and Jamaal Anderson.

All joking aside, there is nothing wrong with giving guys like this a shot as long as you don't let their them effect your draft choices or anything like that.  There are plenty of stories of players getting their heads together and turning into decent players after an original failure.  And many times it has nothing to do fitting a certain scheme or getting better coaching.  A lot of the time it is just the player getting his head together (or just more desperate) and working harder.
Reply/Quote
Why not? Gotta be better than Hunt....as others have said, he was a square peg in a round hole at a 3-4 OLB, definitely more suited for our scheme. It would make for an interesting camp....and I love me some FSU players on the Bengals. Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Id take a turn on that wheel.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Oh yeah, fits a 4-3 and could definately be an upgrade over Gilberry down the road. Younger.

Bring him in.
Reply/Quote
Bump, would like an update on this guy. Hoping his value goes down enough to sign him or Gilberry back.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Bump, would like an update on this guy. Hoping his value goes down enough to sign him or Gilberry back.

This is the latest news from rotoworld. I am not sure who wrote this or how reliable they are. It appears he could come very cheap. I guess you would have to ask if an Estonian Margus Hunt can give your more than a German Vernon Gholston.

Quote:Colts waived OLB Bjoern Werner.
A truly colossal bust as the No. 24 pick of the 2013 draft, Werner was a healthy scratch six times last season. The German Vernon Gholston, Werner has 6.5 sacks through 38 NFL games. He'll likely be reduced to scrounging for special teams work in free agency. Colts GM Ryan Grigson has many messes to undo this offseason. Mar 8 - 2:48 PM

I am inclined to go with the line of thought that zero contribution from Hunt can't be worse than zero contribution from Werner.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 09:47 PM)Burma Wrote: This is the latest news from rotoworld.  I am not sure who wrote this or how reliable they are.  It appears he could come very cheap.  I guess you would have to ask if an Estonian Margus Hunt can give your more than a German Vernon Gholston.

I am inclined to go with the line of thought that zero contribution from Hunt can't be worse than zero contribution from Werner.

But the fact that Werner has ANY production is better than Hunt's
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 09:59 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: But the fact that Werner has ANY production is better than Hunt's

Jerry Hughes was the same type player as Werner and he was also a bust in the Colts system.  Then he had 10 sacks each of his first two years with the Bills.
Reply/Quote
German's are always welcome in the nati.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote