Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Combine Expectations
(02-28-2020, 01:48 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Eason is a top QB prospect as well.

I was responding to ochocincos saying he didn't like Eason or any QB prospect outside of Burrow or Tua.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 11:16 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think there’s a few other intriguing ones that I would look at if I didn’t need a starter right away. Love, Fromm, Stanley, Montez.

If you didn't need a starter, sure.
But for the Bengals, only Burrow or Tua for me.
I don't trust the staff to actually turn a project into a great player, and I think basically every other QB aside from Burrow and Tua are projects to some degree.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 11:21 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I was responding to ochocincos saying he didn't like Eason or any QB prospect outside of Burrow or Tua.

No worries, and all good! I'm one of the ones that understands just how talented and deep that this particular QB class is. Hence, why I was advocating Chase Young, then QB, in the beginning of the process.

I was certain that one would drop. Now, I think 5-6 QBs may go in the first round. Originally, Eason was the top rated pro style QB in this draft, so I was just throwing his name into your mix. I agree with you!  

No one is even mentioning the second tier of QBs, which is pretty darn good too. 
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 12:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If you didn't need a starter, sure.
But for the Bengals, only Burrow or Tua for me.
I don't trust the staff to actually turn a project into a great player, and I think basically every other QB aside from Burrow and Tua are projects to some degree.

They are all projects, at this point, even Tua, and Burrow. None of them have shown a single thing at the professional level. Hence, the word "projections". Some more so than others, of course. Ts, don't discount the other guys, it is a very talented group this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:19 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: No worries, and all good! I'm one of the ones that understands just how talented and deep that this particular QB class is. Hence, why I was advocating Chase Young, then QB, in the beginning of the process.

I was certain that one would drop. Now, I think 5-6 QBs may go in the first round. Originally, Eason was the top rated pro style QB in this draft, so I was just throwing his name into your mix. I agree with you!  

No one is even mentioning the second tier of QBs, which is pretty darn good too. 

Agree. The two I find the most intriguing as pure projects are Stanley and Montez. They both have some of that “it” factor for being the leader of a football team.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:26 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: They are all projects, at this point, even Tua, and Burrow. None of them have shown a single thing at the professional level. Hence, the word "projections". Some more so than others, of course. Ts, don't discount the other guys, it is a very talented group this year.

Ok yes, technically no prospect has played in the NFL so they are all "projects" to an extent. But, as you said, some are more than others.
And I was as safe of a pick as possible.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 02:33 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Agree. The two I find the most intriguing as pure projects are Stanley and Montez. They both have some of that “it” factor for being the leader of a football team.

Montez is a no for me. I watched about a quarter of 1 of his games and he wasn't anything to write home about. I watched the senior bowl and pretty much the same for me. CU must of had some awful QBs in the past, honestly I can't see how he is in their record books.
Reply/Quote
Troy Dye is a tough SoB. Played with a broken thumb and partially torn meniscus. He also played in the Bowl game when he could have sat out..
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I haven’t got to watch other than a few minutes this morning. I like how they were raving about the depth of the OL class. Keep loading up Tobin you stupid shit don’t sit tight and be happy because we won a couple games at the end of the year. Just make sure it is someone other than you picking the OL.
Reply/Quote
James Smith-Williams had a good workout smooth mover and a 1.62 split. I dont know anything about him other than what you can google. They said he would test and workout well but production and injuries will drop him in the draft. DJ mentioned scheme he would play run first and line him over a guy instead of allowing him to attack gaps as a pass rusher.

He's a guy I'm going to have to watch. Always gotta do your homework on pass rushers lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Patrick Queen with a 4.51 unofficial. Kid is fast but my favorite things about him is instincts and pop in his hands. He will stack and shed blockers like a guy twice his size.

Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 10:38 PM)Synric Wrote: Patrick Queen with a 4.51 unofficial. Kid is fast but my favorite things about him is instincts and pop in his hands. He will stack and shed blockers like a guy twice his size.

That's a good time for a LB. He played big when it counted. Wouldn't bother me at all if we drafted him.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 05:41 PM)Synric Wrote: Troy Dye is a tough SoB. Played with a broken thumb and partially torn meniscus. He also played in the Bowl game when he could have sat out..

In other injury news, Laviska Shenault will have to have core muscle surgery.

Also, LB's Kenneth Murray and Patrick Queen suffered hamstring injuries running the 40.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 03:09 AM)Whatever Wrote: In other injury news, Laviska Shenault will have to have core muscle surgery.

Also, LB's Kenneth Murray and Patrick Queen suffered hamstring injuries running the 40.

That's what I hate about the combine.  You have football players, coming off of long, hard seasons of abusing their bodies, training hard when they should be resting and allowing their bodies to recover for their rookie seasons.  Not just training hard, but training hard to be something they are not, track stars.  And for what?  The opportunity to maybe rise up the boards a few more spots than their play on the field would dictate?

Now, there are going to be at least 3 future stars, who's teams will suffer because they will be having to sit out and heal during OTAs, rather than building chemistry and learning their team's various schemes and systems.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 03:09 AM)Whatever Wrote: In other injury news, Laviska Shenault will have to have core muscle surgery.

Akeem Davis-Gaither also to have surgery to repair a stress fracture in his foot.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 01:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's what I hate about the combine.  You have football players, coming off of long, hard seasons of abusing their bodies, training hard when they should be resting and allowing their bodies to recover for their rookie seasons.  Not just training hard, but training hard to be something they are not, track stars.  And for what?  The opportunity to maybe rise up the boards a few more spots than their play on the field would dictate?

Now, there are going to be at least 3 future stars, who's teams will suffer because they will be having to sit out and heal during OTAs, rather than building chemistry and learning their team's various schemes and systems.

While these injuries are tough for the kids, does this in turn become a benefit for Cincy? How far does both Queen and Shenault drop? To our 2nd and 3rd rounder perhaps?
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 02:18 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: While these injuries are tough for the kids, does this in turn become a benefit for Cincy? How far does both Queen and Shenault drop? To our 2nd and 3rd rounder perhaps?

Injuries not just tough for the players, but for the teams that end up drafting them.  Those teams are losing valuable developmental time with those players, as they recover well enough from a hamstring in order to try to catch up to speed at some point in the year.  Hamstring issues are tricky, they typically don't just "heal up completely" with a month or two of rest.  They typically come back to nag, relapse, flare up, etc. at the most inopportune times, for the duration of the season.

So, is a team really getting such a "bargain" when players fall, due to things like pulled hamstrings in running stupid track style events at the combine?  More than likely what happens is a guy that probably would have been a day 1 starter, gets to spend the bulk of his season coming off the bench, and effectively costing the team 25% of the value of his rookie deal.  That's just my opinion on the matter, I'm sure others see it quite differently.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Cameron Danztler looks alot faster than his 4.6 on tape. Watching him run the 40 he doesnt look like a guy that runs track he did not look comfortable coming out of his stance.

Reply/Quote
AJ Terrell had a very nice day. I wouldn't hate it if he was the pick at 33.

Reply/Quote
I know everyone is on the linebacker train but I would love to see the Bengals get a versatile playmaker at safety. Cincy has a good center field guy in Jessie Bates that has the range to handle single high duties easily. I would like them to add a guy that can play cover 2, overhang, box, nickle corner, off the edge on the line etc..

Reply/Quote